Carnival Victory Dry Dock - NOT!!!

preciousme123

I think that you have very valid complaints. Dirty and dust (even if it's a light coat and not 5 inches), trash in your room, insects in your food, etc would've annoyed me to.

However, I think that people are reacting more at the exaggerations and edgier comments than at the actual complaints. When reviews are sensationalized, Cruise Critic people attack!

Thank you.

When I wrote the review I certainly didn't mean to exaggerate. This was my first cruise & b/c of what I encountered it didn't leave a very good impression on me about cruises.

And besides the exaggeration about the "5" inches of dust - nothing else I said was an exaggeration. I don't understand why people who have never met me would just assume I am lying. I thought this was a forum that I could express my concerns - good or bad. If I would have known I would be attacked like this I never would have posted it & everyone could just figure it out on their own. Seems like if you don't have a good cruise - you should just keep your mouth shut. Guess that's what I will do going forward.

I don't understand all the hostility against the OP. She was merely reporting what she felt were inadequacies of her cruise. Anyone who says they don't exaggerate at times to get a point across is full of crap! So maybe there weren't 5 inches of dust. Dust on the TV and leftovers from previous travelers in the bathroom and on the balcony would upset anyone.

A beetle in the salad would upset anyones appetite and unsupervised children can put a damper on a vacation.

This forum is to alert, notify, share, good and bad things that occur while on your cruise.

I've been on 11 Carnival cruises and enjoyed each and everyone but that doesn't mean I've not had some issues to go along with the good.

With that said, thank you OP for your report. Sorry to hear about the issues you had but hope all in all you enjoyed your cruise. Grow up people!

Thank you - I appreciate your post. But going forward I don't think I will post anything on here anymore. Not worth all the lashing I am taking for posting my opinion. Kind of reminds me of high school.

I did enjoy the cruise overall - but not b/c of the ship. It was b/c of the people I was with & the ports I visited. I guess I just need to try another ship - hopefully I won't have the same issues.

I had a very similar experience on the Paradise after dry dock. Well, except for the beetle. :D

The ship was filthy. Gum wrappers, dirty carpet, dust everywhere. I had been on the Paradise before, so I knew what to expect and was somewhat expecting it to be better, not worse.

I think the ship is trashed by the contractors onboard during dry dock and the staff doesn't get adequate time to clean up after them. I haven't seen negative posts about the Paradise since, so I think it's a post-dry dock dirty ship problem.

I sailed on the Victory the 2nd cruise from her dry dock on 4/9/15 with my husband & sister-n-law. I must say it was a complete disappointment. We had one of the aft wraps on deck 6. When we walked in the room the first thing we noticed was the 5 inches of dust on the television set (that we wrote our names in) & on the complimentary magazines they leave on a table. One of the magazines was dated February 2012. There was also bobby pins & an empty shaving cream container on our vanity counter from the previous guests.

When we walked out to the balcony we were overcome by the beauty from the view. Absolutely stunning. Until I looked at the floor. It was covered in cigarette butts, bottle caps, gum & candy wrappers. It was at that point I realized they must have forgotten to clean our room.

The carpets in the hallway on deck 6 look like they have not been cleaned in years. For a ship that was in "dry dock" I don't think I should have smelled the stench that was coming from that carpet.

Now I know that I was on this ship during spring break - but I still can't get over the amount of kids - and I don't mean college kids - I mean little kids no older than 10 running around, causing chaos with no supervision - leaving the levers on the ice cream machines down so that ice cream was all over the floor - where the hell were the parents???

I went to elegant night & ordered Caesar Salad - I took 2 bites & then noticed my lettuce moving - I moved the lettuce with my fork & what I found was an alive beetle on lying on its back with its feet (or whatever they are called on bugs) moving. So gross. The only thing I was offered was a bottle of wine & chocolate covered strawberries for my "inconvenience" I consider that more of a health hazard than an inconvenience.

The only nice thing about the dry dock was the new sports bar & alchemy bar - other than that nothing else was visibly done - the common areas were dirty & unkempt.

This ship either needs a 9 month dry dock or put it out of its misery!

Which one?? We are in 6434 in a few weeks ;)

When you came to the realization that they had neglected to clean your room, did you contact Guest Services or your room steward? Did they take any action?

If you didn't call or if they didn't take immediate action, was it dusted the next day? Was your balcony cleaned during your stay?

I was excited when I learned that Victory was going into dry dock before our cruise on her this June.....but after reading post dry dock reports I'm a little disappointed. Apparently all they did was add 2 bars. :mad:

Was hoping for a little more than that.

Us too!!

Granted we booked the Victory not knowing she was scheduled for the dry dock. But - like you - we were excited when we heard about it because we thought she's be getting the 2.0 upgrades - which didn't happen. :(

Oh well....we will certainly enjoy the Alchemy Bar - but are still disappointed that they didn't do much else, that we can see.

Edited by happy cruzin

"Unfortunately, you will not find any sympathy here on the Carnival forum."

Wow! I thought I signed up for Cruise CRITICS. Same reason I read Consumer Reports. To many cheerleaders on here IMHO. 😖

Unfortunately, you will not find any sympathy here on the Carnival forum.

Hopefully there won't be a next time, but if you encounter any issues - go to Guest Services and kindly request them to solve these to your satisfaction. Everyone deserves a clean room and a beetle-free salad after paying for a cruise.

I think OP has some legit concerns. Part of the reason I signed up for CruiseCritic, and the same reason I read Consumer magazines. Too many cheerleaders posting on a forum called CruiseCritic IMHO. 😖

I too agree that OP has some valid concerns. A beetle in my Caesar salad? That would have elicited a "SCREAM" from me, especially with it's legs still kicking:eek:

I might not have been as upset with the room and steward service, but would definitely have discussed the issues with the steward first and then if not satisfactorily dealt with, would have gone to guest services.

In 6 Carnival cruises, have never been on a dirty or unkempt ship. I believe that there is truth to what some say are that contractors may have trashed things out during dry dock, and crew have not had the time to adequately deal with that.

I didn't get out a ruler & measure - so maybe 5 inches is an exaggeration. Regardless (or Irregardless - however you say it)- I feel that there should have been NO dust on the TV considering the rooms should be cleaned prior to the new customers arriving to the room. I expect that at any other hotel I go to & I expect that on a cruise ship as well. You can't tell me you wouldn't have reacted the same way and not have an issue with it.

No need for me to answer since you've done that for me......correct? :rolleyes:

we just got off Victory this morning and had a wonderful trip.The onboard staff was wonderful,very friendly and helpful.The new bars didn't seem to get much attention.The ship was pretty crowded,and i was surprised by the amount of kids,although I know many parents are home schooling.We loved the Chinese food and had it almost every day.Lido deck buffets weren't grat.I noticed most of the time food,even though covered and on warmers was out sometimes almost 1/2 an hour before opening time.Loved the express buffet option.We generally grabbed a quick bite until dining room breakfast opened.dinners were good but the dining room was always freezing. I loved the color scheme on the ship,it was quite relaxing.Only problem we had was last night we noticed a growing we area coming from under the dresser by the bathroom.Our bathroom among many had been redone.The fact that the ship needs more work is subtly noticeable in spots,but didn't take away from our enjoyment!

I'm sorry to hear you had so many problems!;)

we just got off Victory this morning and had a wonderful trip.The onboard staff was wonderful,very friendly and helpful.The new bars didn't seem to get much attention.The ship was pretty crowded,and i was surprised by the amount of kids,although I know many parents are home schooling.We loved the Chinese food and had it almost every day.Lido deck buffets weren't grat.I noticed most of the time food,even though covered and on warmers was out sometimes almost 1/2 an hour before opening time.Loved the express buffet option.We generally grabbed a quick bite until dining room breakfast opened.dinners were good but the dining room was always freezing. I loved the color scheme on the ship,it was quite relaxing.Only problem we had was last night we noticed a growing we area coming from under the dresser by the bathroom.Our bathroom among many had been redone.The fact that the ship needs more work is subtly noticeable in spots,but didn't take away from our enjoyment!

I'm sorry to hear you had so many problems!;)

Thanks for reporting back. I somehow did not expect there to be much in the way of upgrades subsequent to this recent dry dock. Hopefully there were other mechanical upgrades and improvements done. Thanks for the other tips and info.:)

To all those so worried about the 5 inches of dust comment...it does not say it was 5 inches thick. Are the tvs not at least 12 inches high by 12 inches wide? If there was enough space to write two names in the dust, I highly suspect there was at least 5 inches of space dusty enough to allow this. I totally believe the comment looking at it in this manner. I tend to question the credibility of those who immediately find a comment they may not fully understand and harp on it to try to dispel what the OP is saying. I had no problem with any of his comments...I don't believe anyone who is looking for objective information about a cruise would question the comments made, and I personally appreciate hearing these types of comments in preparation for my next cruise. It certainly doesn't waste my time.

Lol, now all I'm going to think about when eatting that salad are beetles. I guarantee you if I find a moving beetle in my salad the entire dining room will know by my scream :eek:. Ewww.

As for the room, I agree it would be really dissapointing to walk into your stateroom for the first time to find it was uncleaned. I would think a simple call to guest services would get it fixed in a jiffy plus I'm sure Carnival would probably compensate you in some way for the inconvenience even though they aren't required to do so.

Edited by CruizinMama1026

I don't understand all the hostility against the OP.

It is not discouraged or against the rules to be mean here so unfortunately it happens more often than not. This is absolutely the meanest board on Cruise Critic.

Still lots of good info here though but LOTS of hate to wade though at times.

OP sorry you had issues, I hope your next cruise is better.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

To all those so worried about the 5 inches of dust comment...it does not say it was 5 inches thick. Are the tvs not at least 12 inches high by 12 inches wide? If there was enough space to write two names in the dust, I highly suspect there was at least 5 inches of space dusty enough to allow this. I totally believe the comment looking at it in this manner. I tend to question the credibility of those who immediately find a comment they may not fully understand and harp on it to try to dispel what the OP is saying. I had no problem with any of his comments...I don't believe anyone who is looking for objective information about a cruise would question the comments made, and I personally appreciate hearing these types of comments in preparation for my next cruise. It certainly doesn't waste my time.

Yes, because every time someone says they have or want X number of inches of something everyone automatically thinks square surface area, don't they? :rolleyes:

Thank you to everyone who understands my concerns & why I posted them. I am new to Cruise Critic & didn't realize my bad experience would cause so much drama!!!

In the future I will only post good things - as I don't want to receive the backlash that I did today.

This was my first cruise & I do plan on doing another cruise with Carnival - I want to try the new Vista or maybe the Breeze- maybe if I would have started on either of those ships instead of the Victory I may not have had any of the bad experiences. I don't know. I will have to wait & see.

It is not discouraged or against the rules to be mean here so unfortunately it happens more often than not. This is absolutely the meanest board on Cruise Critic.

Still lots of good info here though but LOTS of hate to wade though at times.

OP sorry you had issues, I hope your next cruise is better.

Your a funny puppy, meanest board on cruise critic? You have compared these? If it were true, which there is no way of proving (kind of like 5 inches of dust....) it would be because the bashers are here way more than any other board, the Carnival haters bring out the animosity.

I hope the op's next is better as well, or bring a ruler....and a camera. Seeing is believing.

Thank you to everyone who understands my concerns & why I posted them. I am new to Cruise Critic & didn't realize my bad experience would cause so much drama!!!

In the future I will only post good things - as I don't want to receive the backlash that I did today.

This was my first cruise & I do plan on doing another cruise with Carnival - I want to try the new Vista or maybe the Breeze- maybe if I would have started on either of those ships instead of the Victory I may not have had any of the bad experiences. I don't know. I will have to wait & see.

Op, my sage words of advice are: this is cruise critic. This is a Carnival Board, most posters here are fans of Carnival. Some are not. People react to 1st post posters who exaggerate their dis-appointment with a cruise. Sorry you did not have a good cruise. Try again, my 34 have been nothing but a pleasure, perfect ? some not so much, but all enjoyable. Happy cruising.