Pride of America - April 2015

lithlith

We have a balcony room. Would we be able to hear the narration from our room on the loudspeakers or do we need to be on deck?

Debbie

Florida

You wouldn't hear the narration in your room, but if you were on your balcony, then you would hear it.

What box lunches?

Debbie

Florida

Box lunches from excursions.

We have a balcony room. Would we be able to hear the narration from our room on the loudspeakers or do we need to be on deck?

Debbie

Florida

We had a port side aft balcony and as long as we were quiet, we could hear the narration. You definitely want to hear it, it made the scenery even more amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On other NCL ships, usually one of the channels on the TV carried the overhead messages. This way you can turn your TV up while on the balcony to supplement what you might hear when you are outside. Maybe someone can investigate this if they are sailing soon on POA.

Just a thought, I do not know this first hand on the POA.

My husband and I recently returned from a cruise on NCL's Pride of America in Hawaii (April 4-11, 2015). We are a married couple in our 30s from the USA with no children. This was our 11th cruise and first with NCL. When I was researching for this cruise, I was disappointed with the lack of information in this forum, so as I write things up I'll post them under this thread. Please feel free to jump in with questions. I'm happy to help anyone else who is planning for this cruise.

I don't know what forum you are referring to, but if you go under Hawaii you will find hundreds of posts and reviews on Hawaii and the POA. I used this for our POA honeymoon and saved a ton of money doing our own tours...

What was in the box lunches?

For the Akaka Falls & Volcano National Park Excursion from NCL - We were given a box lunch of a turkey sandwich, apple, chips, cookie, and a bottle of water that we ate on the bus. There was no set lunch stop.

Edited by lithlith

• 1 month later...
Kahului, Maui - We booked with Valley Isle Excursions for the Road to Hana tour.

Did you have to call them to book it? I don't see any options on their site for them to pick anyone up from a cruise ship. Where did you depart from?

For the Akaka Falls & Volcano National Park Excursion from NCL - We were given a box lunch of a turkey sandwich, apple, chips, cookie, and a bottle of water that we ate on the bus. There was no set lunch stop.

Volcano Park done on your own looks to be really reasonable (under $20pp) so we were considering renting a car there (get REAL food on the way, etc). Any reason you would recommend against that approach?

Did you have to call them to book it? I don't see any options on their site for them to pick anyone up from a cruise ship. Where did you depart from?

Located it under.."INFORMED Pride of America". I have zero idea of why the word informed proceeds POA but regardless, it appears to be the only option even close. May have to call to verify prior to booking unless someone here can verify it is the correct selection

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I recently returned from a cruise on NCL's Pride of America in Hawaii (April 4-11, 2015). We are a married couple in our 30s from the USA with no children. This was our 11th cruise and first with NCL. When I was researching for this cruise, I was disappointed with the lack of information in this forum, so as I write things up I'll post them under this thread. Please feel free to jump in with questions. I'm happy to help anyone else who is planning for this cruise.

I have a lot of questions because POA is the only way to take a Hawaii cruise on my 40th birthday, which is what I want to do, but I am not excited about trying NCL for one week.

My biggest concern is the food. Everyone says it is good, but only great where I would have to pay for it. Does the quality of food depend on what you ordered?

Volcano Park done on your own looks to be really reasonable (under $20pp) so we were considering renting a car there (get REAL food on the way, etc). Any reason you would recommend against that approach?

It if FAR superior to go on your own and consider driving as far as you can, down the Chain of Craters Road. NONE of the tours do so. There are so many stops you can make-, it's a great advantage to go on your own.

There are plenty of places you can also add to your day- if of interest, Botanical Garden, Orchid farm, black sand beach, Tsunami Museum etc etc etc

I have a lot of questions because POA is the only way to take a Hawaii cruise on my 40th birthday, which is what I want to do, but I am not excited about trying NCL for one week.

My biggest concern is the food. Everyone says it is good, but only great where I would have to pay for it. Does the quality of food depend on what you ordered?

It's cruise ship food...hit or miss. The pay restaurants are very good but the buffet and MDR are average.

POA was our first experience on NCL and it was very pleasant. It's so port intensive, the food really is secondary.

• 2 weeks later...

For my 2013 cruise, I teamed up with some other cruisers from CC and booked Big Island Aina tours for Volcano National Park. I think there were about eight of us in the van. This tour did go down the Chain of Craters road, and we had a lovely picnic lunch on a cliff overlooking the ocean. We had picked up some box lunches earlier at the macadamia nut factory, and they kept them cool for us until it was time to eat lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

We were told the only dress code was for Jefferson's Bistro, and the Liberty dining room for dinner. Khaki or dress pants with collared shirts for the guys, slacks, skirts, etc for the ladies. Other than those two, it is very casual. No open toed shoes for guys, no baseball hats, no low-riding or overly torn jeans. Shorts are fine.

Edited by jenmouse

any requirements for dinner and clothing?

This was by far the most casual cruise we had ever been on. I'm not sure if it was the location of Hawaii that made it casual or if it was just a Norwegian thing.

Skyline & Liberty were the two main dining rooms. One was supposed to have more of a dress code than the other, but we thought people dressed the same in both.

The only place we saw people dressed up was at the Jefferson Bistro and by dressed but I mean women in dresses and guys with a jacket or a tie.

I wished I would have left all of my dress clothes at home. They took up room in my suitcase and I never wore them.