Close to the port beaches in Nassau?

Jay Sam

Hello folks,

Taking Sky on the 27th including a stop in Nassau. It has been many many years since I was on a cruise to Nassau.

The map on the port of Nassau webcam shows Esplanade beach is nearby. I have also heard of Junkanoo beach in the vicinity.

Are either of these within walking distance from the port?

Thanks in advance.

Junkanoo is within walking distance if you are somewhat able bodied. IT can get very hot walking there and back, but it's not all that far on foot.

Thanks so much. Yeah able bodied, and I get the hot equation. Live in Florida and never liked the heat, but I guess I am used to it.

Thanks for the response. I sure appreciate.

Thanks so much. Yeah able bodied, and I get the hot equation. Live in Florida and never liked the heat, but I guess I am used to it.

Thanks for the response. I sure appreciate.

Basically head past where the straw market and the Senor Frog's is and go around the corner and follow the signs and you'll be there.

Junkanoo is o.k. enough and it is free. There are a few drink vendors there and you'll have great views of the ships. Maybe a 15 minute walk tops. It is just past the British Colonial Hilton.

dexddd....

We are thinking of going to Junkanoo this November on Breakaway. Haven't been to Nassau since 2006. That year we took a ships excursion to the Wyndam for an AI.

Will I be ok at Junkanoo with my son (20)?

Can't seem to make up my mind with Nassau.

Melia Day Pass?

Hilton Day Pass?

Junkanoo?

Stay on the ship?

Atlantis Water Park? ($$$$)

We are beach lovers!

Maybe we were spoiled by Bermuda last year and those south shore beaches.

What do you suggest?

I know it's going to ultimately depend upon the weather. Just praying we make GSC!!!

Thanks!

dexddd....

We are thinking of going to Junkanoo this November on Breakaway. Haven't been to Nassau since 2006. That year we took a ships excursion to the Wyndam for an AI.

Will I be ok at Junkanoo with my son (20)?

Can't seem to make up my mind with Nassau.

Melia Day Pass?

Hilton Day Pass?

Junkanoo?

Stay on the ship?

Atlantis Water Park? ($$$$)

We are beach lovers!

Maybe we were spoiled by Bermuda last year and those south shore beaches.

What do you suggest?

I know it's going to ultimately depend upon the weather. Just praying we make GSC!!!

Thanks!

Well, if you are asking for an opinion, we normally stay on the ship in Nassau. The time we went to Junkanoo was not what we had planned to do. We were thinking of getting the day pass at British Colonial Hilton but friends of our kids and their parents who we know well happened to get a trip on Carnival from their grandparents and were going to be in Nassau the very same day we were there on DCL.

They didn't want to pay for the day pass so I had to do some checking and found Junkanoo on the CC ports of call area and the beach is the same beach as the Hilton, just next to it.

Not sure what you mean by ok with your son? We weren't really bothered by anyone other than you'd see at pretty much any other port or Nassau proper. The beach is not the finest sand and has a few smaller rocks and I believe we saw one broken bottle but otherwise it was safe and the kids had a great time playing in the sand and in the water. The view of the ships is great and it is quite close to the pier.

Someone about 9 months ago went to Melia I believe and had a great photo review of that area - they enjoyed it quite a bit IIRC but they had to get transportation over there.

Great info guys. Thanks. Depending upon the weather I think we are going to try either Cabbage or Junkanoo.

We loved Breakaway so much last year and didn't get to see or do everything. This trip will be more about the ship rather than the destination.

~Robin

:)

Great info guys. Thanks. Depending upon the weather I think we are going to try either Cabbage or Junkanoo.

We loved Breakaway so much last year and didn't get to see or do everything. This trip will be more about the ship rather than the destination.

~Robin

:)

We were on BA last March and actually got in the night before to Nassau as we had to skip GSC. We stayed on the ship on the full Nassau day and had the slides to ourselves. We had pulled in facing Atlantis so I'd look over at Junkanoo area just as the floor would drop.

That stinks about missing GSC. You are brave to do those drop slides! My son loved them. NOT me!

Because I don't have a life I actually kept track of BA's making or not making it to GSC this season.

Breakaway GSC 2014/15

October 8....Made it

Oct 15, 2014...Made it

Oct. 22, 2014...Made it

Oct. 29, 2014...Made it

Nov. 5, 2014...Did Not Make it

Nov. 12, 2014...Made it

Nov. 19, 2014...Did Not Make

Nov. 26, 2014...Made it

Dec. 3, 2014...Did Not Make it

Dec. 10, 2014...Did Not Make it

Dec. 17, 2014...Made it

Dec. 24, 2014...Made it

Dec. 31, 2014...Made it

Feb. 18, 2015...Did Not Make it

Feb. 25, 2015...Made it

Mar. 4, 2015...Made it

Mar. 11, 2015...Made it

Mar. 18, 2015...Made it

Mar. 25, 2015...Made it

April 1,2015...Made it

April 8, 2015...Made it

April 15, 2015...Made it

April 22, 2015...Made it

Better than the 50/50 chance that I thought it would be.

Have a great weekend.

That stinks about missing GSC. You are brave to do those drop slides! My son loved them. NOT me!

Because I don't have a life I actually kept track of BA's making or not making it to GSC this season.

Breakaway GSC 2014/15

October 8....Made it

Oct 15, 2014...Made it

Oct. 22, 2014...Made it

Oct. 29, 2014...Made it

Nov. 5, 2014...Did Not Make it

Nov. 12, 2014...Made it

Nov. 19, 2014...Did Not Make

Nov. 26, 2014...Made it

Dec. 3, 2014...Did Not Make it

Dec. 10, 2014...Did Not Make it

Dec. 17, 2014...Made it

Dec. 24, 2014...Made it

Dec. 31, 2014...Made it

Feb. 18, 2015...Did Not Make it

Feb. 25, 2015...Made it

Mar. 4, 2015...Made it

Mar. 11, 2015...Made it

Mar. 18, 2015...Made it

Mar. 25, 2015...Made it

April 1,2015...Made it

April 8, 2015...Made it

April 15, 2015...Made it

April 22, 2015...Made it

Better than the 50/50 chance that I thought it would be.

Have a great weekend.

Yes, I've been watching the GSC this year too and noticed they were making it most of the time but I wasn't actually tracking it.

I think you were also the one tracking which way the ships dock in Bermuda?

Yes that was me. Was just curious which way we were going to be docked last July. It really didn't matter because either way was nice. However, balconies that got the all day sun were almost unusable during the afternoons because they were HOT.

Geri, you are going to love Bermuda and please make sure to go to Horseshoe Bay Beach!

~Robin

Junkanoo was just fine, and my daughter was able to walk there in 10 minutes on a sprained ankle. They have bathrooms, food, drink, etc.

I have a few pics and description on starting in post #29 in my Fantasy Review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1845180&page=2

Now, if you want to snorkel I would suggest going elsewhere but if you want to sit on the beach, enjoy the sun and music, Junkanoo is free and easy. We took our own cloth to lie on, bottled water and snacks, because we were bound and determined not to spend money. A penny saved is a penny I can spend on souvenirs! Lol

Its a touristy walk to Junkanoo Beach. Shops, restaurants, lots of people etc.....so its not too scary :p

Great view of the cruise ships

The beach itself was just ok ( I dont think they rake it but I dont know )

Big drop off from the sand to the water

We rented a couple loungers. They are more than helpful to rent you one and set it where you want