Weird questions

dee2673

I have what I think are weird questions..here goes.

3 couples traveling together. 2 couples in a Neptune Suite and 1 couple in a signature suite. 2 couples are 1 star mariners. Can the star-less couple have lunch with us at the Mariners Lunch, as our traveling companions? I think I read somewhere that they could

2 couples are in Neptune Suite. Can the non-Neptune couple come to the Captains Cocktail party, as our traveling companions?

Lastly, 2 couples in the Neptune took a price reduction of about 1200.00 a cabin and so lost our Explore4. We are fine with that. The couple in the SS still has theirs but the gentleman of that couple is a non drinker. He can't just hand over the card to one of the other guys, can he? My friend seems to think so but I say no. Nor can he buy drinks for others, as I understand it. Correct?

3 couples traveling together. 2 couples in a Neptune Suite and 1 couple in a signature suite. 2 couples are 1 star mariners. Can the star-less couple have lunch with us at the Mariners Lunch, as our traveling companions? I think I read somewhere that they could Yes they can

2 couples are in Neptune Suite. Can the non-Neptune couple come to the Captains Cocktail party, as our traveling companions? No

Lastly, 2 couples in the Neptune took a price reduction of about 1200.00 a cabin and so lost our Explore4. We are fine with that. The couple in the SS still has theirs but the gentleman of that couple is a non drinker. He can't just hand over the card to one of the other guys, can he? My friend seems to think so but I say no. Nor can he buy drinks for others, as I understand it. Correct? You are correct.

There are never any weird question. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

3 couples traveling together. 2 couples in a Neptune Suite and 1 couple in a signature suite. 2 couples are 1 star mariners. Can the star-less couple have lunch with us at the Mariners Lunch, as our traveling companions? I think I read somewhere that they could

2 couples are in Neptune Suite. Can the non-Neptune couple come to the Captains Cocktail party, as our traveling companions?

Lastly, 2 couples in the Neptune took a price reduction of about 1200.00 a cabin and so lost our Explore4. We are fine with that. The couple in the SS still has theirs but the gentleman of that couple is a non drinker. He can't just hand over the card to one of the other guys, can he? My friend seems to think so but I say no. Nor can he buy drinks for others, as I understand it. Correct?

First, mariners can always take their cabin-mates to the lunch on embarkation day. For the mariner's brunch or lunch or whatever they have on your cruise that takes place later in the week where they give out pins, etc, you can also take your cabin-mates. If the people who are first time HAL cruisers are in a cabin on their own, I'm not sure if they can come.

I would be concerned about two couples in a Neptune suite. While the suites are spacious, there is NO Privacy anywhere.. so depending on the nature of the two couples' relationship, I don't see why it wouldn't be better to get two smaller cabins, but that's just me, and you didn't even ask an opinion on that!

As for the cocktail party, I would ask the concierge girls in the Neptune Lounge, but I doubt it. I think it's only for suite guests (Neptune and above). They aren't missing that much though... (Just MHO) We usually skip it when we are in a Neptune suite.

Don't know about the drink cards - will leave that to next poster.

We each have a Neptune Suite, we are not sharing..lol. Sorry, didn't make that very clear. 2 couples have 2 Neptunes and the other couple has an SS.

That changes the Embarkation Lunch answer, doesn't it?

We went to the Cocktail party on our first and only cruise back in 1998 on the Veendam, also in a Neptune Suite or whatever they called them then. There was Moet and Chandon champagne...LOTS of it...Caviar and other very fancy appys. No longer the case? We had fun that night..:)

I believe the E4 SBP drink card and privileges from it are non-transferable, but it isn't just for alcoholic drinks. It also covers bottled water, specialty coffees, mocktails, soda, juices etc. if the non-drinking gentleman is interested in such beverages.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl
delete typo

Non Star couple can have Mariners Embarkation Lunch with you.

Non Neptune Suite couple cannot have use of Neptune Lounge.

As far as any priority embarkation/tendering etc, you can all go together with the non-star/non-Neptune couple with their tender number etc if you wish to keep your group together.

No, the Signature Beverage Card is only supposed to be used by the person who has it, at least not according to the rules. That $1,200 savings? It's your bar "scholarship fund." :)

Edited by POA1

We each have a Neptune Suite, we are not sharing..lol. Sorry, didn't make that very clear. 2 couples have 2 Neptunes and the other couple has an SS.

We went to the Cocktail party on our first and only cruise back in 1998 on the Veendam, also in a Neptune Suite or whatever they called them then. There was Moet and Chandon champagne...LOTS of it...Caviar and other very fancy appys. No longer the case? We had fun that night..:)

The days of 'LOTS' of Moet and Chandon champagne at cocktail parties are gone. :D (Though I also remember it........ from years ago.)

No longer piles of Caviar either. Sorry.

Prepare yourself......... much has changed since 1998 including Veendam. :) Much has changed in the world as a whole.

Edited by sail7seas

Oh ,it's OK...darn it. So,is it like cheese and crackers? And not as good champagne? Just trying to see if it's worth it to go or should we skip. My thinking is that I will take anything they will give us for "free" ( I know...we pay for everything one way or another)

We are OK with the card being for his use only. We have 1200.00 to spend!!! I just don't want them to be surprised or embarassed when they try to use it otherwise. What a waste..:).

I am thoughly prepared,sail7. At 60 yrs old, I know the world pretty well. Lived in NY for 30 years, that will teach anyone

Oh ,it's OK...darn it. So,is it like cheese and crackers? And not as good champagne? Just trying to see if it's worth it to go or should we skip. My thinking is that I will take anything they will give us for "free" ( I know...we pay for everything one way or another)

If you are referring to the Suite Welcome Aboard Party on Embarkation Day, you can order most any drink you want. There will be some cold apps passed and pre-poured red/white wine or sparkling wine. It depends where they run the party. It used to be always in Neptune Lounge but in recent years, they have moved it to more spacious location.

As to what some call the "VIP" Party, wait until you have an invitation before worrying if you should go. :D DH and I always enjoyed that party and I can't remember us failing to attend. :D They do a nice job though it does vary some from ship to ship/cruise to cruise/Hotel Director to Hotel Director etc

As to the 'prepare yourself', I think you know what I mean. In the 17 years since you last cruised HAL, some (many) of the things you remember are long gone. So much in our world has changed in all these years.

Hope you all have a great cruise. :)

We are OK with the card being for his use only. We have 1200.00 to spend!!! I just don't want them to be surprised or embarassed when they try to use it otherwise. What a waste..:).

I am thoughly prepared,sail7. At 60 yrs old, I know the world pretty well. Lived in NY for 30 years, that will teach anyone

Let's be practical.......

If the sober gent chooses to order a drink and hand it to his friend, I don't think anyone is going to go running and screaming through the ship having a tantrum. :D Be discreet, subtle and reasonable.

OH! LOL, yes, that puts my mind at ease! Two suites for two couples. All's right in my world now! :) As for Embarkation lunch, I think it's fairly loose. If you all go together and give two cabin numbers you'll be fine. It might not be permissible "on paper" but in practice I think it will be fine. The cocktail parties are really not a big deal IMO... yes you'll get a glass of champagne but I don't remember any caviar or other food.. in recent years the few we've gone to have been very low key. Worth a try though, although I believe that will only be for the Neptune and Pinnacle gang.

You are going to have a great cruise! Have fun!

dee2673, So happy to see that not all NYers are cold, callused, uncaring folks!!! Seriously, I applaud your thoughtfulness and hope your friends/travel companions appreciate what a kind and considerate person you are.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and have nothing but smooth sailing,

Rod

Aww, Ty, KyColonel. I grew up in San Francisco so I had my peace loving hippie thiing ingrained. And actually, we lived inUpstate Ny, very different from NYC. NYCer's are very direct and time is of the essence for them. I loved to visit NYC and think I could have lived there for a time. I stuck out like a sore thumb, though, on many ocasions when stuff went wrong and I didn't react like a big city dweller. I'd get a funny look and they'd say " You don't live here, do you"...lolololol. No, and even if I did, I could never be like "that". I get it..it's just not me..:)

Let's be practical.......

If the sober gent chooses to order a drink and hand it to his friend, I don't think anyone is going to go running and screaming through the ship having a tantrum. :D Be discreet, subtle and reasonable.

Probably not. But it has been our experience that the bartenders keep a close eye on everyone, will learn your names, and will figure out what is happening. I found the rule that only the card hold (and iit is a separate drink card) can get a drink is strictly enforced. My husband was required to come up to the upper aft deck on sailaway so that I could come down and show my card.

Probably not. But it has been our experience that the bartenders keep a close eye on everyone, will learn your names, and will figure out what is happening. I found the rule that only the card hold (and iit is a separate drink card) can get a drink is strictly enforced. My husband was required to come up to the upper aft deck on sailaway so that I could come down and show my card.

Yes, of course.

We spent a great many months of our lives on HAL bar stools chatting with bartenders. There is also the choice to be seated at a cocktail table which is the most likely if sailing with three couples. It wouldn't be often six people would line up on bar stools when they could comfortably sit all chat with each other at a table.

Well, I am going to let the sober gentleman know all this. I guess he can try to grab a beer for one of the guys every so often,if we sit at a table and are not jerks about it. Can't you even, if you want to, take the drink to your room? It's not a big deal either way but I know him. He will want to try to do this. If yes, great..If not, great too, since our budget has 1200.00 more dollars. Thanks ,all, this helps

I happen to be a 'rule follower' but am also a practical person.

If sober gentleman chooses to order a beer and decides he doesn't want it, there is no high crime nor misdemeanor by handing it to his friend. Use discretion and good taste and yes, you can bring a drink from any lounge to your cabin.

My DH does not drink alcohol but he got a lot of use out of his explore 4 card. He ordered juice with lunch and dinner, soda many times, mocktails, specialty coffees, and hot chocolate.

Recommend that you go to the party. It is better than wine and cheese, worse than piles of caviar. Have had some excellent canapés at these parties, and some okay ones. Just ask the wine steward for what you want to drink as they may be able to get whatever you want prepared for you rather than be limited to what they have on the tray. Officers will be there and often have wonderful stories, as well as interesting passengers.