Moderno now listed as complimentary

BreeYark

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Moderno is now listed as complimentary on my June 28 Epic Cruise.

It is still listed as 25$ on my June 21 Epic cruise (doing B2B).

One other difference between those two weeks is Le Bistro, listed 19,95$ instead of 20$ on the second week.

Cagney's has disappeared from the reservable list on both cruises.

Also, all sample menus seem to have disappeared.

another example of something that may or may not be true. I can't believe Modernos would be complementary unless they are cutting the quality down to nothing. Ok, so now we hear it is complementary, Cagneys is no longer going to be part of the UDP, it is going a la carte and you can not even bring your dessert from the MDR to your cabin. Does anyone understand why we need to not believe anything til it is confirmed by NCL?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Moderno is now listed as complimentary on my June 28 Epic Cruise.

One other difference between those two weeks is Le Bistro, listed 19,95$ instead of 20$ on the second week.

On some ships Moderno is free with a small buffet at breakfast and/or lunch.

Harriet

NCL posted on one of the threads that they are changing the menus.

Where did NCL post this? Maybe I missed it. They did say they were "making some exciting menu updates" to Cagney's as reason why it is no longer possible to book there pre cruise.

Does anyone know where to find this on the website? Easiest way to check it out. I know there is a list of complimentry and non complimentry listed by ship but I can't find it.

Where did NCL post this? Maybe I missed it. They did say they were "making some exciting menu updates" to Cagney's as reason why it is no longer possible to book there pre cruise.

Does anyone know where to find this on the website? Easiest way to check it out. I know there is a list of complimentry and non complimentry listed by ship but I can't find it.

Exciting menu updates, would mean they are changing the menus. Someone also posted (not NCL) that the sample menus are no longer on the website. I didn't check, however, to see if this is true.

I know if you go into each ship, and look at what's on board, they have the complimentary dining and specialty restaurants listed.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Exciting menu updates, would mean they are changing the menus. Someone also posted (not NCL) that the sample menus are no longer on the website. I didn't check, however, to see if this is true.

I know if you go into each ship, and look at what's on board, they have the complimentary dining and specialty restaurants listed.

I believe their exact quote was "As part of the Norwegian Next Program we're making some exciting menu updates to Cagney's. The restaurant wll be closed for reservations prior to sailing, but you will still be able to make reservations on board ". I do not take this to mean that all menus are being updated, because that is not what was said. And if they ARE updating all menus, why would Cagney's be the only specialty venue not available for booking?

Are you seeing this info in your MYNCL reservation info for your cruises? I did locate the list of Complimentry and Non Complimentry venues on the website and the info appears to be unchanged for Moderno. It is still listed under Specialties for $20.

It may just be a glitch in MYNCL. If you want to reserve Moderno, (or Cagney's) you can call NCL and try it that way. Previous reports were that people were able to book Cagney's for cruises prior to July 3. If you are unable to, that may mean that they have reached their quota for pre cruise bookings for that venue. But you can still book Cagney's on board.

Edited by punkincc

I believe their exact quote was "As part of the Norwegian Next Program we're making some exciting menu updates to Cagney's. The restaurant wll be closed for reservations prior to sailing, but you will still be able to make reservations on board ". I do not take this to mean that all menus are being updated, because that is not what was said. And if they ARE updating all menus, why would Cagney's be the only specialty venue not available for booking?
They not only said that, but someone also posted part of an email from Mr. Del Rio where he said all menus were being changed. You might remember the post because it had the Escape debuting in 2014 and there were comments about how NCL should proofread more carefully.

On some ships Moderno is free with a small buffet at breakfast and/or lunch.

Harriet

Yes we had it open on the jan 4 ba cruise for various breakfast buffet and ethnic buffet... German is all I recall

Yep it was free.... But it wasn't free Brazilian churasscuria that's for sure ....just in case any posters here think it was free for dinner... It wasnt

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

They not only said that, but someone also posted part of an email from Mr. Del Rio where he said all menus were being changed. You might remember the post because it had the Escape debuting in 2014 and there were comments about how NCL should proofread more carefully.

I think you're referring to an email to a TA from their NCL sales rep.

OK. I think this was in something posted by Cruise Critc where Del Rio stated that his goal was to essentially make NCL's food the best out there. A lofty goal, indeed and I am all in favor of good food. But I am biting my tongue over what this may mean to passengers if it comes to pass. Will those fancy menus come with a price? We will see.

Are you seeing this info in your MYNCL reservation info for your cruises? I did locate the list of Complimentry and Non Complimentry venues on the website and the info appears to be unchanged for Moderno. It is still listed under Specialties for $20.

It may just be a glitch in MYNCL..

I made a screenshot but can't figure how to attach it here :(

The funny thing is Moderno is listed as complimentary, but it still mentions a 18% gratuity will be added at checkout :)

Once I board the ship, will it be too late to ask for a UDP refund if I see my reservations don't add up to the cost of the UDP or if I don't like the new menus?

The funny thing is Moderno is listed as complimentary, but it still mentions a 18% gratuity will be added at checkout :)

Once I board the ship, will it be too late to ask for a UDP refund if I see my reservations don't add up to the cost of the UDP or if I don't like the new menus?

We had this on our last cruise for the Italian venue, so of course I booked it in - free, right? About 2 weeks before cruise we got an invoice for the booking. We called and cancelled it and they cancelled the charges, too. It's probably just a glitch on yours that won't last!

I'm on your same sailing and when I tried to book the "complimentary" Modernos, it wanted to charge me for it. I think I'll wait until these are all fixed before booking, just to be on the safe side!

I'm not sure How long you have to cancel the UDP. You'd have to read the Terms and Conditions or call NCL to ask.

I can't imagine you would not like the menus. I'm sure they are still posted here on Cruise Critic if you can find them. I doubt if there will be any changes to menus fleetwide before you sail.

Reservations can easily be made on board to Cagneys or any other specialty you want. We don't even make reservations for every night and can usually just walk in.

As far as cover charges for the restaurants you dine at not equaling the cost of the UDP, and can you get a refund? ( If that is what you are asking. ) No refunds are made. Let's say you get lazy and go to the buffet and MDR 3 nights. No refunds because your actual cover charges were only $80 for the other 4 nights. Or you eat at La Cucina every night with a cover charge of $15 for a total of $105, no refund of difference. But that is not likely to happen;).

Most people utilize the package fully with a cover charges mostly in the $20 to $30 range and at least break even, if not come out ahead. But it is worth considering what your experience might be. We have never bought the package because we know we will dine in the MDR, buffet or O'Sheehans a few nights and we can just pay as we go to the 2 or 3 specialties we like cheaper than we can get the package for.

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/DiningGuide_042115.pdf

OK. I think this was in something posted by Cruise Critc where Del Rio stated that his goal was to essentially make NCL's food the best out there. A lofty goal, indeed and I am all in favor of good food. But I am biting my tongue over what this may mean to passengers if it comes to pass. Will those fancy menus come with a price? We will see.
I would hope that they don't get to fancy as well, but if they have a well balanced menu with some fancy foods and some, for no better word, mainstream foods, I think that would be great, because everyone should be satisfied.