Guarantee Cabin

clarkie02360

Question; I have a guarantee cabin on Veendam for a Vista Suite BB room for which there are only 6 in the BB category. Can HAL move me to another similar category i.e. BC, B or A or do they have to honor the BB category guarantee?

Your cabin will be in the category you paid for OR a higher category. You might be pleasantly surprised with an "upgrade" assignment, or you might get any one of the cabins in the category you paid for.

Here's an adendum question to the original one.

I'm guarantee BB too. So is higher BA or BC???

Thanks!

Great Question. From what I can see all the Vista Suite Cabins (except for AFT balcony) are all similar in size. Location would be the only difference. My guess is Mid-Ship would be an upgrade?

Here's an adendum question to the original one.

I'm guarantee BB too. So is higher BA or BC???

Thanks!

The cabins are the same. BA would be a higher category based on its location. The previous poster is correct. Mid ships is considered prime real estate.

As far as guarentees go, the lettering is the determinant in assignments. It is alphabetical.

From the top (best cabin categories): PH; then all the S-categories; then all the A categories; then all the B categories.

A BB would be assigned a BB or BA or higher, never a BC.

Or you may even be offered an upsell.

I kind of like the back of the ship and the Navigation Deck. Quick walk up to the Lido Deck & the Retreat Area. However a decent reasonable up-sell to a Neptune Suite would be tempting.

Anyone out there ever have a reasonable up-sell offer going from Vista Suite to Neptune?

>SNIP<However a decent reasonable up-sell to a Neptune Suite would be tempting.

Anyone out there ever have a reasonable up-sell offer going from Vista Suite to Neptune?

"Reasonable" is pretty personal, y'know? But for us, our most reasonable upsells were from OVs to Neptunes on a couple of cruises that were really not selling well.

"Reasonable" is pretty personal, y'know? But for us, our most reasonable upsells were from OVs to Neptunes on a couple of cruises that were really not selling well.

Yes..that is a bit personal. Looking at the May-June Bermuda Sailings there is such a wide margin in pricing for the Neptunes, it's hard to get a gauge on what would be reasonable.

I kind of like the back of the ship and the Navigation Deck. Quick walk up to the Lido Deck & the Retreat Area. However a decent reasonable up-sell to a Neptune Suite would be tempting.

Usually the upsell you will be offered is for the next level up from what you are booked in. So if you have a balcony on an S class you might get an upsell to a Neptune. If you are sailing on a Vista class ship, the upsell offers would probably go to those booked in S category cabins (suites without Neptune privileges) We were in an SS for a Westerdam sailing last month and offered an upsell to a Neptune Suite for $250 per person and we happily took it. For us, it was worth it. But to each his own as far as what is a "reasonable" up-sell offer...

Edited by Moriah

Question; I have a guarantee cabin on Veendam for a Vista Suite BB room for which there are only 6 in the BB category. Can HAL move me to another similar category i.e. BC, B or A or do they have to honor the BB category guarantee?

I meant to mention I also had a guarantee on Veendam - ours was an inside cabin guarantee - booked last minute - and we were pleasantly surprised with a considerable upgrade - just got our cabin assignment last night and it is an Ocean View cabin. So sometimes the upgrade fairy sprinkles her dust when you least expect it!

Edited by Moriah

We were offered an upsell from an Aft Vista suite to a Neptune suite of undetermined locale for $799 per person. We booked way back last year right after fares were published so I believe we paid published fares or close to it. I was surprised the upsell offer was so pricey, though I don't expect them to just give the suites away. But we are staying with the room we booked, DH has a fascination for that aft balcony, I personally would have liked the extra space with the Neptune but whatever. We will be on a cruise which makes it all good! LOL DH promises we will book a Neptune next time, which should be next Spring if not this Fall.

Thank you for pointing out the advantages of having a suite on the Navigation deck. We are new to HAL and I think I booked a "good" cabin, it sounds like we are just a deck down from the Lido deck and what that deck offers. Thanks! :D

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

OP

I hope you will be happy with whatever you get assigned.

Otherwise, I hope you do get an upsell offer that suits you.

Would you consider not doing a guarantee next cruise?

The guarantee I received was too good to pass up. Several Hundred pp less vs. non gty. So I can't complain. My curiosity has me wondering how HAL determines the assignments and their up-sell worth. My cruise is just under 2-months out and there are still 11 Neptune Suites open. The question is will they sell? Will there be enough up-sell takers? Will HAL just leave them open if they don't sell?

Seeing "galensgrl" up-sell offer of 800 pp seems like a decent deal vs. what I paid for the Vista Suite BB gty. However if there are empty Neptunes I'd want a better deal.

Usually the upsell you will be offered is for the next level up from what you are booked in. So if you have a balcony on an S class you might get an upsell to a Neptune. If you are sailing on a Vista class ship, the upsell offers would probably go to those booked in S category cabins (suites without Neptune privileges) We were in an SS for a Westerdam sailing last month and offered an upsell to a Neptune Suite for $250 per person and we happily took it. For us, it was worth it. But to each his own as far as what is a "reasonable" up-sell offer...

That hasn't been the case with the upsells I've seen. Mine have been 2 up. Let's say I was in a balcony. I generally will see an upsell amount for a signature suite and a neptune.

That hasn't been the case with the upsells I've seen. Mine have been 2 up. Let's say I was in a balcony. I generally will see an upsell amount for a signature suite and a neptune.

Oh, that's good to know! I assume the amount of the upsell would be less (to a Neptune) if you had already paid for a signature than if you were booked in a Vista suite. Either way, nice to know it's possible to get an offer for more than one category up!

The guarantee I received was too good to pass up. Several Hundred pp less vs. non gty. So I can't complain. My curiosity has me wondering how HAL determines the assignments and their up-sell worth. My cruise is just under 2-months out and there are still 11 Neptune Suites open. The question is will they sell? Will there be enough up-sell takers? Will HAL just leave them open if they don't sell?

Seeing "galensgrl" up-sell offer of 800 pp seems like a decent deal vs. what I paid for the Vista Suite BB gty. However if there are empty Neptunes I'd want a better deal.

The upsell amount depends on the length of the cruise. I've rec'd 2 upsells for my upcoming cruise. Both were more than the going rack rate. Hal does have a rate they will not go depending on the cruise and they will sail empty. You will never know how many Neptunes suites there are empty. If the price doesn't suit you for an upsell you do not need to take it.

Oh, that's good to know! I assume the amount of the upsell would be less (to a Neptune) if you had already paid for a signature than if you were booked in a Vista suite. Either way, nice to know it's possible to get an offer for more than one category up!

Oh absolutely there will be different prices based on each one. I took a Panama cruise in April 2014. Iirc the first upsell was $800 to go to a signature or something like $3500 to go to a neptune. I was in a balcony. These are single supp prices. I took the signature upgrade. The neptune was too much. Out came more upsells to Neptunes and the pinnacle. Stupid high still. I bit when the neptune came down to $2200. Can't recall the pinnacle price. I heard the Neptune came down to $2000 after that but I didn't see it since I had accepted by then.