Need Iceland advice

Driftwoodgal

We are bringing the Brilliance back from England September 3, 2015

Trying to figure out what to pack in the suitcase.

We are stopping in Iceland, Faroe islands, Cork. I have found information about Cork, but not Iceland or Faroe Islands.

Any helpers out there?

Did a similar route a few years ago on Sea Princess. The Faroe Islands were very wet, but not that cold and only needed a windbreaker. Iceland was nice in both ports (and both 8 hour excursions), mid-70s and mostly sunny. Now Greenland was another story - Nanatorlik had 40 degrees and 40 knot winds. Locals were dressed in formal furs for the visit (1400 locals, 1700 passengers). Great hosts.

We are stopping in Iceland, Faroe islands, Cork. I have found information about Cork, but not Iceland or Faroe Islands.

Any helpers out there?

A sweater will be fine, damp in the Faroe Islands. Iceland , mid 60's, Cork, did not rain in the bar down the street from the pier .:)

Good waterproof walking shoes and layers are great. We took far too many really warm clothes when we did a similar route and we didn't need them.

It can be quite breezy and cool on deck as you sail, so you will need a fleece and/or possibly a windcheater type jacket.

The scenery is amazing - enjoy!

We were in Iceland in mid-September, and it was beautiful and sunny and around 70 degrees during the day. Not very windy outside of Reykjavik (as you move farther away from coast), and that time of year should be dry. The temps dropped pretty quickly once the sun started going down. You'll definitely want to bring a windbreaker or a similar jacket.

Edited by Illyria

I did the trip two years ago and packed very carefully so I could do carry on luggage. On the advice of my son who skis a lot, I bought a good "shell" jacket that was waterproof and breathed made by Patagonia. I took a set of long underwear and some mix and match long sleeved tops to layer and khaki long pants. I took short sleeved tops - pre cruise Paris and London were very hot as were Le Havre, Portland, Cork and Dublin. I took a pair of stretchy gloves and a ski headband to cover my ears. Wore my sneakers and took water shoes and a pair of black folding shoes for formal nights.

Ship was very casual - not much hoopla for the formal nights which was fine by me. The only thing I didn't wear was the long underwear bottoms - the weather wasn't right to go out on a boat at night to see the northern lights.

Edited by 138east

Did both stops and more last year.

Faroe Islands don't have tree's and it can be very windy. So a decent jumper and windproof coat is great. It can rain or even snow at times in September but can also be hot if we are having an Indian summer.

Iceland can be the same, so you can use the same items again and don't need to pack extra. Decent walking shoes for rough terrain would be advised, instead of trainers/sneakers because you will walk over grass, rock, sand, stone, the lot in Iceland.

Enjoy as both are must see places, once in your lifetime.

Layers, layers, layers as the weather can go any direction. I visited Greenland on an exceptional day, it was in the low 50s. You don't need big, bulky jackets, layers work much better. I think a jacket with a zip out liner is much more practical than a stuffy, puffy one. Gloves, a headband or ear muffs are a good thing. If my hands or feet get cold, I'm unhappy.

I don't think water proof shoes are a must. We had a very damp, dreary day in Iceland and my leather gym shoes were fine. Cloth gym shoes would have been bad. One trick I do is put plastic (I take plastic sleeves from my newspapers) over my foot then put my shoes on. Works great and I have dry feet. We did the waterfall and geyser in Iceland, it was drizzling, then rain, and we were fine with layers. It was September.

Edited by susancruzs

Any helpers out there?

We stopped in Iceland for two days on a cruise a couple of years ago, in early September. day times were fine with a light jacket, but we went on a late-night excursion to look for Northern Lights. I had on two shirts, a fleece, my hooded wind proof jacket, a scarf, my penguin ear warmers (don't ask! :D) and warm gloves. I was still freezing!

Pack things you can layer, just in case. And take hat, gloves and scarf if you can make room for them.

I have been lucky enough to have visited several times. Two years ago we took the Carnival Legend from Dover to Reykjavik and Greenland and ultimately to New York. I have been in Reykjavik in various months and the temperature has never been a problem.

There is good reason to believe that very shortly a roundtrip cruise will be announced from New York to Greenland and Iceland. It's going to be 14 days in September 2016. I am checking every day because I want to be on it. I do hope that they will have at least two stops both in Iceland and Greenland.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like packing for our Alaska cruise. We had such a mix of weather bringing the Serenade up the seaboard. I froze in San Francisco and was shedding clothes near Hubbard glacier.

Don't want to over pack, but I sure hate being cold.