Just off the PRIDE, WARNING about aft cabin shaking

jetta8300

do you think there is any more risk sailing on the Pride in terms of azipod failure or anything else that could lead to being stranded at sea than any other cruise ship.

Most likely not. They'd get indications of overheating, etc., way before and just knock the speed down a little.

After exchanging a few notes with an engineer over on the HAL boards, I'm thinking it's more of a systemic hull loading / balance issue - 'harmonics' and not necessarily Azipods gone bad.

No worries. Go enjoy your cruise! It's a lovely ship, great iteniaries, fantastic staff.

I'll be in 4237 on an August cruise....I'll report back to everyone how it went. We are psyched!!!

Perfect cabin choice!!! Our favorite cabin is 4232..we have many past cruises in that cabin including 3 weeks already this year. We have 21 days booked for January. Aft cabins on Deck 4 have the best ocean view on the ship. Enjoy!!

I was on the Pride in January 2011 in stateroom 5264 and then again in September 2014 in stateroom 7292. Both staterooms are located port side very near the aft of the Pride. In 2011, we only noticed vibrations when coming in or leaving docks (similar to what we experienced on the Valor also in an aft cabin). In 2014, the vibration was always noticeable anywhere in the aft of the ship. By the end of the 2014 cruise, I was sick from the vibration. I couldn't be in my cabin, in the dining room, on the serenity deck, or anywhere in the aft of the ship. It was the first cruise that I have ever been excited to get off of the ship. There weren't rough seas in 2014 (actually in 2011 we saw rougher seas). There was no difference in the vibration when we were docked or moving, or depending how fast we were moving. There was a constant vibration that would not stop. People aren't making it up, exagerating or imagining it. It is real, very real.

I was on the May 17, 2015 sailing of the Carnival Pride. Our table vibrated so badly in the dining room that we had to move to another table. Have noticed some moderate vibration in the dining room on previous Pride cruises (have been on the Pride on 6 cruises total)

Are they going to fix this? We are in an Vista Suite...if there are major issues will Carnival take care of us?

OP here, we were suite guests as well and they did not "take care of us". Which we weren't expecting them too. I did get a phone call from someone after my lenthtly survey I filled out post cruise. And the woman was apologetic and said they will possibly put our cabin on the "noisy list" but I doubt it. It sounds like when it comes to the Pride, these complaints are so frequent that they have no actual idea of judging the severity of the problem. But I doubt anything will be done to warn other passengers. They just kind of brush it off like, "yeah that's the Pride."

I just posted this in response to a question in another thread, so I thought I'd toss my opinion out here, as well. No disrespect intended to anyone whose opinions differ, of course.

"Just got home today, as well. We were in 5258 and 5270, so you don't get any further aft. The vibration was nothing like advertised, in my opinion.

In our cabin, the vibration was really only noticeable when we were in bed, but it was soothing, if anything. As for noise from vibrations, one night the trash can in the bathroom was rattling and I resolved it with a slight touch of my foot.

In 5270, my sons said the cabinets rattled some, but it was nothing remotely disturbing.

I think you'll be fine."

• 1 month later...

This is so extremely frustrating. We cruised on the Pride in 2009 and 2011 and had these EXACT complaints. I sent Carnival an email when we returned from our first cruise and never got a response. I remember on the last night of the trip, the vibration stopped and it got so quiet - the glasses weren't shaking, the decorations stopped swaying, and everyone in the dining room broke out in applause - it was that bad. We took it again in 2011 because it's just so convenient. It was still bad. And the stupid listing. It's not a normal moving with the seas, it seriously does LIST and it is terrifying. Since it just came out of dry-dock last October, we were hoping maybe they had finally addressed the shaking, but clearly they didn't. When you call Carnival to book, they will give you an option, "Are you back from your cruise and want to speak to someone about it?" you can always call and tell them. My email did nothing, maybe a phone call would work? We have been on other cruises and yes, there is some vibration, but we have never been on anything as bad as the Pride. We were considering trying it again next year since it was just redone in dry dock, but now I'm seriously reconsidering. Seems they updated the interior, but they continue to ignore the elephant in the room.

Nice cruise on Pride in June, nothing special, but I can confirm that the vibrations are crazy. Sitting in the MDR we would balance silverware on glasses and watch them vibrate off. You can feel your teeth chatter.

My friend drives a brand new Lexus...man is that thing smooth. I drive a well used other make and my rear end shakes so that I can hear my groceries rattle in the trunk like an orchestra warming up. Given that my monthly payment is really small I'm happy with my beater car...my friend, on the other hand, is forever complaining about car payments, insurance, premium gas, and trips to the dealer when all the little stuff goes wrong.

Some ships are just beaters...others, not so much. But I can afford the Pride, others, not so much.

We had vista suite 5266 on the July 5th cruise. The vibration if you want to call it that is only noticeable if you are looking for it. Don't let this thread scare you from these great cabins. The cabin and view definitely are worth it. It is more of a slight rumble. Nothing that

would disrupt your vacation.

We were in a midship cabin on Deck 6 in June. The first night we noticed a lil vibration. We joked about it reminding us of the old hotel rooms with the vibrating beds you put a quarter into. After the first night we never noticed it again. Our table in the MDR was all the way aft. I don't recall any of us (13 in our group) noticing it or commenting about it.

On Aug 9 we'll be on deck 8 a little further aft. Will report back if we notice anything different.

:)

Since it just came out of dry-dock last October, we were hoping maybe they had finally addressed the shaking, but clearly they didn't.

I'm not sure if the ship actually went into "dry dock" or just a shipyard period - not every period in a shipyard involved drydocking, which is rather expensive and challenging to pull off.

In any event, after doing the Pride on 31 May, we did the Fantasy on 16 July. At this point in my cruising career I've done enough Pride/Miracle cruises and Fantasy/Paradise/Ecstasy/Sensation (not to mention Conquest class) cruises to compare.

The Pride's got a serious vibration problem. Not that is bothers me to the point where I wouldn't book it again, but it's bad and worse since the addition of more topside weight (pool + FunShip 2.0).

And now for some humor - I noticed the Pride is chartered for a "Big Nude Boat" nudist cruise in 2017, 7 day round-trip out of Tampa. Think perhaps it was selected for the jiggle factor?

Sorry, the OP had such a nightmarish cruise! We were on the Pride June 14 - 21 and I noticed some vibration around the ship in odd places. If you moved to a different side or a different area - it didn't vibrate. And not always in the same spot. Not the shaking like the OP described, but it was noticeable. We were a group of 10 and no one seemed to have a problem with it.

We were in 7299 (fabulous cabin, BTW). We had no vibration in the room, but it was freezing. The balcony door sometimes whistled, but I found if I locked it, that solved the whistling and moderated the temp a bit. I think the weather-stripping was shot. The ship itself was cold as well - but not all over. I've been on both the Miracle and the Legend and I don't remember any vibration like this.

We had no issues in the MDR, but we were close to the entrance and over by the windows. We did have brunch all the way aft twice with no issues.

It was a great ship and a great cruise, but I guess you have to chose your cabin carefully!

Sorry, the OP had such a nightmarish cruise! We were on the Pride June 14 - 21 and I noticed some vibration around the ship in odd places. If you moved to a different side or a different area - it didn't vibrate. And not always in the same spot. Not the shaking like the OP described, but it was noticeable. We were a group of 10 and no one seemed to have a problem with it.

We were in 7299 (fabulous cabin, BTW). We had no vibration in the room, but it was freezing. The balcony door sometimes whistled, but I found if I locked it, that solved the whistling and moderated the temp a bit. I think the weather-stripping was shot. The ship itself was cold as well - but not all over. I've been on both the Miracle and the Legend and I don't remember any vibration like this.

We had no issues in the MDR, but we were close to the entrance and over by the windows. We did have brunch all the way aft twice with no issues.

It was a great ship and a great cruise, but I guess you have to chose your cabin carefully!

I have said the same thing several times, even down to my own fondness for 7299. That cabin was like an icebox! If only I could have snagged it for my October cruise... Still got a 9B but on another deck. Love those 9B's!

I had an aft cabin by the elevators booked for our January journey cruise and then saw this thread. I have always booked an aft ( usually an L-shaped double long balcony) and never minded the vibrations much. But one post mentioned that it contributed to her migraines and as a frequent migraine sufferer, that was enough for me. We moved forward to 5137 and now am a little concerned about my view downward towards the water as there is something big and orange, but not a lifeboat, almost directly under our cabin. But I'd rather have that then 11 days of migraines ;) Better safe than sorry.

I had an aft cabin by the elevators booked for our January journey cruise and then saw this thread. I have always booked an aft ( usually an L-shaped double long balcony) and never minded the vibrations much. But one post mentioned that it contributed to her migraines and as a frequent migraine sufferer, that was enough for me. We moved forward to 5137 and now am a little concerned about my view downward towards the water as there is something big and orange, but not a lifeboat, almost directly under our cabin. But I'd rather have that then 11 days of migraines ;) Better safe than sorry.

OP here. I see this thread keeps getting resurrected. Haha! I'd obviously say better safe than sorry about the vibrating situation. But you'd probably have a lot less vibration in the "aft" cabins all the way up by the elevators than where our cabin was in the VERY back. The aft section of the ship is still a long section. And while there would still be some vibration my guess is that it would be less.

Cruisers are still posting that the vibration is a serious problem, and then there are a few still saying it's barely noticeable. Either way, nobody is going to be as bothered by it if they're not stuck with it all night long, and a good portion of the day. If we would have been able to escape it more often we would have probably dealt with it a little better, but it drove us absolutely nuts and made us ILL.

I did see though a current cruise review going on where the reviewer posted a short video of the vibration in David's steakhouse during dinner. I would like to point out that David's steakhouse is at the very top of the ship, and more mid ship. And there was STILL enough vibration for these people to take a video of the vibration. So think about how much worse it would be 5 decks down and DIRECTLY over the Azipods causing the problem.

There was a slight vibration all over the ship during the entire cruise. And yes, BAD LISTING. Many other cruisers who did not have an aft cabin were still very bothered by the listing because apparently it is pretty unusual. But our room was the real problem.

Edited by jetta8300

Well I see it like this: some things are subjective. And some stuff I don't mind dealing with. But when it comes to things like listing and terrible vibrations, I tend to draw the line. All of the cabins we would be interested in booking are aft and rather low. Combine that with the limited itineraries and the Pride is headed towards NOT being an option again. Which is unfortunate since Baltimore is a scant 2.5 hours away. Oh well.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

My friend drives a brand new Lexus...man is that thing smooth. I drive a well used other make and my rear end shakes so that I can hear my groceries rattle in the trunk like an orchestra warming up. Given that my monthly payment is really small I'm happy with my beater car...my friend, on the other hand, is forever complaining about car payments, insurance, premium gas, and trips to the dealer when all the little stuff goes wrong.

Some ships are just beaters...others, not so much. But I can afford the Pride, others, not so much.

I paid the exact same amount for my cruise on the Pride as I did on the Allure of the Seas. The Pride is not a cheap ship to sail. The location is convenient for some of us, but it's also comparable in price to the Norwegian Breakaway and the Grandeur of the Seas which also said out of the east coast and do not have vibration issues.

Edited by jetta8300

I paid the exact same amount for my cruise on the Pride as I did on the Allure of the Seas. The Pride is not a cheap ship to sail. The location is convenient for some of us, but it's also comparable in price to the Norwegian Breakaway and the Grandeur of the Seas which also said out of the east coast and do not have vibration issues.

It sure isn't, so I don't know where the idea came from.

The sailing we were looking at for next August is $1710 right now (well in advance) for two in a 4k, which is an inside cabin. Not at all cheap at over $100 pp and not even a balcony. Prices for the non- summer months for next year aren't much better.

Every year since we started cruising we've gone south to catch the ship, because sailing from up here is much more a point of convenience than anything. Yet that has not outweighed other options even if it means travelling.

I can and have sailed on older fantasy class ships for less. Even after you calculate airfare and everything else. And no issues with vibrations, etc. I go through this exercise every year when deciding what ship to book. The Pride is by no means cheap. And that's o.k. but there's no point In making things up. Her layout, convenience for many, upgrades etc. keep her booked. Not everyone is scared off by the listing or vibration chatter like I am.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk