Travel Insurance- Who do you use?

Hi

We have always used 1cover and they have been great! Have had several claims including a head injury( my son) in Hong Kong. They were faultless in their service, communication and covering all costs including flight changes, hospital stay and extra hotel costs etc. Would not hesitate in recommending them.

Sue

Covermore are very good. I made a claim for my cancelled Voyager cruise and they paid out without fuss. They also automatically cover me for my diabetes without any added cost.

Edited by Royalty X

Suggest you stay away from southern cross. I had to make a cancellation claim after a diagnosis of breast cancer meant i had to cancel a european trip. Took a long time to settle and I only had it sorted when my GP went in to fight for me. Southern cross tried to say it was pre existing condition even though I had always had my regular mammograms on time and they were all clear.

Is it not OK to put on here, measures you can take if your insurance claim is not resolved in a reasonable period?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your comments! I'm pretty sure we have narrowed our choice down to Travel Insurance Direct or InsureandGo, based on the similar policies and prices.

Anyone else have some feedback on either of the companies, and any other insurance companies? :)

I said I'd provide feedback about Travel Insurance Direct, so here it is.

To recap, my husband caught the flu on a recent Princess Panama Canal Cruise. We had to attend the Medical Centre. Costs for a consultation and medicine were approx $500 US.

We claimed from our travel insurance and had a swift and straightforward resolution to our claim. Money was in our account, minus the $100AUD excess that we had chosen in our policy, within a week of the claim. All done online, all very easy.

Edited by two_black_dogs

My boyfriend and I have just booked our first cruise (yay! :D) to the South Pacific, leaving Sydney in December with Carnival.

We of course want to organise travel insurance, but with the amount of choice and price difference available, we were hoping for some insight from experienced cruisers- what travel insurance company do you use and how much approx. do you pay?

We were recommended CHI travel insurance at $125 pp, but not sure about what they're like and the cost.

Any recommendations/ suggestions would be appreciated! :)

As you will have seen there are a plethora of choices, fortunately most who have taken out travel insurance have not had to claim. IMO the most important factor you need to consider is will your insurance company pay for repatriation off the ship in event of a medical emergency. Whilst most policies cover cancellation of air flights, loss personal items, missed connections but not all cover medical evacuation off cruise ships.

Okay we are now going to get a number of posts saying this or that insurance company does cover evacuation, that great.

If your travel insurance is a "domestic" policy you will probably find you aren't covered so you will need an "International " policy.

Remember that all insurance companies will look for ways not to pay out and for a few extra dollars peace of mind is worth the cost.

We have never had to claim but still get insurance. Now approaching the magical 70 and find fewer insurers will give cover for over 70 or at extra cost, so will have to shop around again.

Good point to make sure you have emergency ship medical evacuation even if young. Unfortunately accidents do happen. You can ring the insurer to clarify.

I'll be 71 when we take our cruise and Insure & Go are quite happy to insure us even though both my wife and I have several existing medical conditions. They will ensure anyone up to 100yo.

I'll be 71 when we take our cruise and Insure & Go are quite happy to insure us even though both my wife and I have several existing medical conditions. They will ensure anyone up to 100yo.

Thanks. Thats good to know. Dont know if will be cruising at 100 though:eek: