Phone call from NCL

I have been reading and now am going to jump in here with my thoughts...

NCL's Freestyle policy always stated do WHAT you want WHEN you want...well, one of the things we like most is taking some food back to enjoy on our balcony..now, it is not a huge plate of food but rather a sandwich or breakfast items usually...but it is something we really enjoy and therefore book balcony cabins for this and other reasons....

ok, so if we are all made to consume our food in dining areas, how can there possible be enough tables/chairs to sit down and do so???? specifically the buffet areas....

if we pay for a specialty restaurant, and can't finish our meal, i would expect to be able to at least take my dessert back for "later"...we payed extra for this restaurant!!

I feel like we are being treated like children with this policy ..."now sit here and eat all your food here so you don't make a mess".....ridiculous!! we are adults and deserve to be treated as such!

it may sound petty to some, but to us, this will take alot of enjoyment out of our vacation as we enjoy our balcony time with each other and away from the hustle and bustle of others while enjoying some great food!

also, I am wondering how they plan to make sure these rules are adhered to??? I don't want to be questioned when leaving the dining areas about what I may have taken with me for later....or told to not remove anything from the area.... not talking about the MDR...

we sail on the Getaway in 2 weeks....guess we'll see how it goes...hoping it is better than it sounds.....

Marsha

The poster you are referring to is quite vocal in her displeasure at no longer being allowed to smoke. But, the fact is, the ships weren't sailing empty after the smoking ban. On the contrary, there were more bookings. I can understand how a smoker would want to believe NCL had lost revenue because of them, but I just don't believe that is the case at all. I do agree with you. Nothing will change - ever - unless it hurts their bottom dollar. I'm not entirely sure what direction FDR is trying to take NCL. People sail NCL because they enjoy the laid-back atmosphere. I imagine if they wanted to sail Oceania, they would. We definitely do not need another Oceania. For me personally, the "no food in the cabin" is not an issue. If we want it, we'll order room service. We really aren't cabin eaters, but it doesn't make it right for all of the people who do enjoy eating in their cabin, or on their balcony. To say you can only do it if you pay extra for it is just ... absurd, IMO.

I sent an email to NCL yesterday letting them know I was disappointed in their new food policy. I also called today to cancel 2-14 day reservations. I will move on to another cruise line, but I want them to know why. I am a platinum latitudes member and have sailed exclusively with NCL since 2009. Maybe it won't make a difference, but when NCL called me this morning in regards to my email they said that the policy may change if they continue to get the negative feedback they've gotten so far.

Unfortunately, it seems that the new management wants to take NCL in a different direction. He stated on the 1st quarter report conference call that comments on social media "don't mean much" and that he wants to bring in a "more affluent" cruiser. He also stated that there hadn't been any negative feedback on the new RS charge. I order RS often and would continue to do so if they hadn't decided to also extort those who prefer eating in solitude by only making it possible to eat in your cab9in if you pay for it. It's also ludicrous to me that food from the specialty restaurants can't be sent back to the room.

The biggest problem I see is that the new rules may or may not be enforced on any given ship. There's no consistency from ship to ship so until the food new policy is reversed, I will spend my cruise dollars on another cruiseline.

Sorry...not everything pertains to your post, but wanted to let you know about the "more affluent" comment.

100% about generating revenue from the room service fee. IMO, of course.

May or may not be the case. But if enough folks actually will want room service they will have to hire a lot of delivery people. Won't be enough of them.

I sent an email to NCL yesterday letting them know I was disappointed in their new food policy. I also called today to cancel 2-14 day reservations. I will move on to another cruise line, but I want them to know why. I am a platinum latitudes member and have sailed exclusively with NCL since 2009. Maybe it won't make a difference, but when NCL called me this morning in regards to my email they said that the policy may change if they continue to get the negative feedback they've gotten so far.

Unfortunately, it seems that the new management wants to take NCL in a different direction. He stated on the 1st quarter report conference call that comments on social media "don't mean much" and that he wants to bring in a "more affluent" cruiser. He also stated that there hadn't been any negative feedback on the new RS charge. I order RS often and would continue to do so if they hadn't decided to also extort those who prefer eating in solitude by only making it possible to eat in your cab9in if you pay for it. It's also ludicrous to me that food from the specialty restaurants can't be sent back to the room.

The biggest problem I see is that the new rules may or may not be enforced on any given ship. There's no consistency from ship to ship so until the food new policy is reversed, I will spend my cruise dollars on another cruiseline.

Sorry...not everything pertains to your post, but wanted to let you know about the "more affluent" comment.

I found your post very informative and most helpful. Thanks for your feedback and for handling your distaste in a very constructive way. Now, can you tell me how I go about finding out more about this first quarter conference call? I think it would be a very interesting thread to start on CC, along with the appropriate email addresses so people can voice their distaste. Obviously, internet comments don't hold any water with FDR, but perhaps emails do.

This makes no sense whatsoever. What about butlers bringing full meals to suites? How is this any different? I don't eat full meals in my stateroom but this is confusing and inconsistent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

This is not really too hard to understand. You are not a butler.

What concerns me the most is yesterday in the investor call he said this was only the START of changes. For the most part they have not impacted me... YET... however, what further changes does he have up his sleeve? :confused::eek:

That's what I've been saying to those who are shrugging off these recent changes as nothing to worry about, since they aren't affected personally. This combination room service charge/no carry out food is just one change. The next one may hit them where they live -- rather, vacation. When they have to put their room card in a slot to pay for water in the shower by the minute or rent deck chairs by the hour, who will they complain to?

I just got off a 19 day cruise and rarely saw a cup or plate even in the hallway. I did see a dirty coffee cup left by the elevators though. I never saw a spill or mess outside of the buffet area. This new policy is all about getting folks to pay that room service fee. There are so many legitimate reasons to take a single food item back to your room. I loved our cruise which did NOT experience either the room service fee or new "no food in your room rules". I will be much more inclined to look at another cruise line for our next cruise. The crew was wonderful and they are also the victims here, so please don't withhold your gratuity.

This is not really too hard to understand. You are not a butler.

No I'm not a butler. The point is, any one of us could bring food to our rooms and spill something, just as a butler could spill something. We are all human. If this was about "health and safety" and not about them wanting us to pay for room service, then they would not allow food in the suites either.