DAWN SJ 5/1/15 first timer review

jethrojam

I am considering putting five of us (2 adults, 2 teens, and a 12 year old) in an SJ family suite. Would you recommend that? I know you had a toddler as well, but five adults. I'm concerned about one bathroom (and having to go up to the deck 13 restrooms as you mentioned). Also, was it cramped at night with all of the beds turned down, and the curtains and divider wall? And one TV that the murphy bed doesn't face?

Well i have a big family. I am big myself. So long as 2 out of those 3 teens/preteen is willing to sleep in same full size bed you will be fine at least as far as sleeping quarters goes. I posted a picture of my son as a ghost standing between the open murphy bed and open pullout couch; there is plenty of room. We had discovered basically that there is much more space in the suite for 6 than for 2 insides for 3 each. The cabinets next to the bathroom fit much clothes and the suitcases go under the king bed or next to the wall. With the divider up it still doesn't feel cramped, at least as far as standard rooms on a cruise is concerned. The murphy bed is the only bed where you cant see the tv from, at least if you had your head at the wall. Laying with feet to the wall you would be able to see TV.

I am considering putting five of us (2 adults, 2 teens, and a 12 year old) in an SJ family suite. Would you recommend that? I know you had a toddler as well, but five adults. I'm concerned about one bathroom (and having to go up to the deck 13 restrooms as you mentioned). Also, was it cramped at night with all of the beds turned down, and the curtains and divider wall? And one TV that the murphy bed doesn't face?

As far as the bathroom is concerned, and whether or not you will all get alone packed up like that? Up to you and your family. My family, growing up was always 5 in a hotel room, and oftentimes more depending if an extended relative went. Its not easy but sometimes you have to spend a little ease to get more or save more. Fwiw despite being sick and being the inlaw, my wife is currently trying to convince her mom and dad to do the sj in a year or 2 the same way.

Thank you for your review. I'll be on the Dawn to Bermuda in about 6 weeks.

Quick question, did you notice what time the rest of the crowd were allowed to access their cabins? Since we are local, we can plan what time we arrive at the dock since we are driving, so I'd rather be able to go straight to my cabin to dump my stuff.

Thank you for your review. I'll be on the Dawn to Bermuda in about 6 weeks.

Quick question, did you notice what time the rest of the crowd were allowed to access their cabins? Since we are local, we can plan what time we arrive at the dock since we are driving, so I'd rather be able to go straight to my cabin to dump my stuff.

Thanks :) I don't know what time they allowed people into their cabins, but I do know that bags came to ours a few at a time after sailaway. Someone else may know and if they do please reply:)

Thanks for the great review. We leave one month from today. About "formal" night, I'm surprised most people were dressed to the nines. I wasn't planning on bringing a cocktail dress nor hubby a suit. I'll probably just wear a casual dress and a button down and nice jeans for him. Did people stay dressed up all night?

Thanks for the report!

You mentioned Bamboo. I assume this is the new complimentary restaurant? Could you tell me some of the items on the menu? Was it crowded? How was the food?

Thanks

Hi and thanks! I didn't personally go to bamboo and eat there but my parents and son did. The only thing I can tell you is that it was free and was not crowded on day 6 and that my parents liked whatever they got although I wouldn't consider them to be picky eaters.

Look at the kids loungers lol. (there were few, if any, places for adults to lounge/sit)

IMG_5872.jpg

How fricken cute are those chairs? I don't think I have ever seen any like that on any of the other ships on NCL (not even the Star, which is the sister ship of the Dawn). Did they have any adult chairs back there at all? I remember on the Star there wasn't much room, which really sucked because what kids are going to be back there and their parents aren't?

Saw a Gecco while waiting for bus. We took the 2 dollar ride up the hill. Got in line for the bus, and had to catch the second one around due to the line. Plan on 2 buses and since it was the last day, if you do the same plan accordingly.

What time did you leave the beach on this last day?

Also, thanks for the "good reviews" shout out. I really appreciate it. :)

Can't talk about the cleanliness because I only used it once but the mens room with the view, I believe, is on the 12th floor near the pool. The windows are above the urinals.

I assume they are similar to the Star's mens room with a view :D

PC190791-L.jpg

I should add that we all purchased the internet package from imc or something like that. It is 15$ per the 3 days. I would give it 1 out of 5 stars. It rarely worked. Not on the bus stop, yes poolside but really just connected but didn't download the email. I will buy it again because I enjoy being connected at a minimal level and there aren't enough other options. But I know they need to make it stronger and better, especially for the breakaway or when 2 ships are in port.

So are you talking about the internet package that they sell after getting off the ship for $15? I was a little confused because you mentioned not getting a good signal "poolside" and such. The internet you purchase at the dockyard isn't really for using it on the ship, so that could be why you couldn't get your signal. People have reported that you "may" (and that's a big if) get a signal if you are on the 7th floor outside facing the port only. Otherwise, you actually have to be there off the ship by where the signal is. Also, it has the wifi hot spots around the islands and you can find it other places....like Tobacco Bay (all with this same $15 package). Just wondering if that's what you are talking about with the package you purchased?

As we were waiting someone spotted some whales. That was really cool. There were many many whales.

IMG_6347.jpg

Oh wow how cool is that. I wonder if this is something normally spotted around this area? I have yet to see ANYTHING other than flying fish while cruising (unless we take a sponsored tour somewhere). I would love to see some whales while cruising to Bermuda (we will be on the Dawn in 23 days, 00 hours, 28 minutes and 27 seconds...but who's counting?) :D

How fricken cute are those chairs? I don't think I have ever seen any like that on any of the other ships on NCL (not even the Star, which is the sister ship of the Dawn). Did they have any adult chairs back there at all? I remember on the Star there wasn't much room, which really sucked because what kids are going to be back there and their parents aren't?

What time did you leave the beach on this last day?

Also, thanks for the "good reviews" shout out. I really appreciate it. :)

:) thanks! We left the beach around 130 but weren't able to board a bus until around 3. Got back to dockyard around 330. We loved those chairs too but there were maybe 2 adult chairs throughout the kids pool area. "Someone" may have brought 2 loungers down from sunning area 3 floors up that noone was using.

Btw I purposely tried to theme my review for 2 reasons. 1) I was easier since that was what I did/went through and 2) because I am pretty sure you were going on dawn in a few weeks with better pictures :) one thing I learned was how much time it must take you to do these things *hat tip*

Oh wow how cool is that. I wonder if this is something normally spotted around this area? I have yet to see ANYTHING other than flying fish while cruising (unless we take a sponsored tour somewhere). I would love to see some whales while cruising to Bermuda (we will be on the Dawn in 23 days, 00 hours, 28 minutes and 27 seconds...but who's counting?) :D

Oh the whale watching was really neat. Happened twice too. I don't know if that's the norm but either way it was fun to see. There had to be dozens of them! Haha the countdown is on!

Thank you Jethrojam! Very helpful advice. I could save $3200 by booking an SJ over an SC 2 bdrm/2 bth suite so I am still debating.

Thanks! Well worth the savings imo Its so close to poolside anyways so the balcony wasn't too big a deal.

I assume they are similar to the Star's mens room with a view :D

PC190791-L.jpg

So are you talking about the internet package that they sell after getting off the ship for $15? I was a little confused because you mentioned not getting a good signal "poolside" and such. The internet you purchase at the dockyard isn't really for using it on the ship, so that could be why you couldn't get your signal. People have reported that you "may" (and that's a big if) get a signal if you are on the 7th floor outside facing the port only. Otherwise, you actually have to be there off the ship by where the signal is. Also, it has the wifi hot spots around the islands and you can find it other places....like Tobacco Bay (all with this same $15 package). Just wondering if that's what you are talking about with the package you purchased?

Yes thats the internet package. It worked in a few hotspots that I cannot recall exactly where but if you started to walk around you would lose it. And yes it worked poolside on the dawn while in port but never passed the metal walls inside the room. I never went on 7th floor while in port so not sure there. My basic point is that the internet sucks but if you want to stay connected its the only thing in town so be prepared to be unhappy with the service.

Great review, jethrojam! I was on this cruise too. DH is still talking about how great it was. Believe it or not, I've experienced worse conditions on Lake Michigan lol Dramamine has never failed me - I felt fine the entire time. My SIL who was using the patch was whoozy but ok in the end.

I was also on the Glass Bottom Boat tour!! It was ok, just ok. But SIL has mobility issues so it was nice to have an activity we could all do together.

Bathrooms - When faced with a crowded room or sleeping roommates, I use the gym. Their showers too! Clean, quiet and convenient.

Question - I thought passports were required. Where did you find the info that a license is sufficient?

Great review, jethrojam! I was on this cruise too. DH is still talking about how great it was. Believe it or not, I've experienced worse conditions on Lake Michigan lol Dramamine has never failed me - I felt fine the entire time. My SIL who was using the patch was whoozy but ok in the end.

I was also on the Glass Bottom Boat tour!! It was ok, just ok. But SIL has mobility issues so it was nice to have an activity we could all do together.

Bathrooms - When faced with a crowded room or sleeping roommates, I use the gym. Their showers too! Clean, quiet and convenient.

Question - I thought passports were required. Where did you find the info that a license is sufficient?

Thanks! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2207986&goto=newpost you can respond to this thread when they tore me a new one when I suggested that our cruise required a passport About the glass bottom-having fun together is what it's all about. Rarely can you find activity that everyone can get enjoyment out of. Anyways glad you had fun :)

A license is not sufficient.

You need an original state issued birth certificate with a raised seal. If you have that...and you have your license...that would be sufficient.

:) thanks! We left the beach around 130 but weren't able to board a bus until around 3. Got back to dockyard around 330. We loved those chairs too but there were maybe 2 adult chairs throughout the kids pool area. "Someone" may have brought 2 loungers down from sunning area 3 floors up that noone was using.

Btw I purposely tried to theme my review for 2 reasons. 1) I was easier since that was what I did/went through and 2) because I am pretty sure you were going on dawn in a few weeks with better pictures :) one thing I learned was how much time it must take you to do these things *hat tip*

Wow, that's a long wait. :eek: I wonder if everyone decided to just head back really early (since the ship doesn't pull out until 5:30 and I assume all aboard is around 5???) instead of a later bus time. I'm trying to plan and figure out what we will do on day 3 and this was one of our thoughts for the day.

Yes, it does take an abundance amount of time to do the reviews (and thanks for the compliments) and I'm trying to catch as many as I can before we board in a few weeks. Thanks for taking the time to do this one. I appreciate it. :)

Oh the whale watching was really neat. Happened twice too. I don't know if that's the norm but either way it was fun to see. There had to be dozens of them! Haha the countdown is on!

I really hope we are able to spot some. My daughter would be absolutely thrilled!!!

Yes thats the internet package. It worked in a few hotspots that I cannot recall exactly where but if you started to walk around you would lose it. And yes it worked poolside on the dawn while in port but never passed the metal walls inside the room. I never went on 7th floor while in port so not sure there. My basic point is that the internet sucks but if you want to stay connected its the only thing in town so be prepared to be unhappy with the service.

I'm trying to figure out if we should do the $15 package or the NCL package (hubby needs to check in a few times while we are gone to process orders for his business). I know people have multiple complaints about how slow the internet service is on the ships, however we decided for the first time to do the internet package on the Sun and the Sky back in November and we had excellent reception and it was pretty darn quick IMO.

Wow, that's a long wait. :eek: I wonder if everyone decided to just head back really early (since the ship doesn't pull out until 5:30 and I assume all aboard is around 5???) instead of a later bus time. I'm trying to plan and figure out what we will do on day 3 and this was one of our thoughts for the day.

Yes, it does take an abundance amount of time to do the reviews (and thanks for the compliments) and I'm trying to catch as many as I can before we board in a few weeks. Thanks for taking the time to do this one. I appreciate it. :)

I really hope we are able to spot some. My daughter would be absolutely thrilled!!!

No problem. If I could do it all over again I would go to hamilton day 3 and do the caves. The ferry holds an abundance of people and lets off right on the dockyard so you could easily wait until the last one at 4 or 430 (i forget which one it is). I think we tried to get back early more because my son needed a nap but I don't think you'll have that problem :) It doesn't surprise me that most were going back to ship by 4 but fwiw most people on the buses before the beach were locals as they got out of work and school.

I'm trying to figure out if we should do the $15 package or the NCL package (hubby needs to check in a few times while we are gone to process orders for his business). I know people have multiple complaints about how slow the internet service is on the ships, however we decided for the first time to do the internet package on the Sun and the Sky back in November and we had excellent reception and it was pretty darn quick IMO.

I think with business being priority i would go with ship internet while on board and nix the 15$ one.

No problem. If I could do it all over again I would go to hamilton day 3 and do the caves. The ferry holds an abundance of people and lets off right on the dockyard so you could easily wait until the last one at 4 or 430 (i forget which one it is). I think we tried to get back early more because my son needed a nap but I don't think you'll have that problem :) It doesn't surprise me that most were going back to ship by 4 but fwiw most people on the buses before the beach were locals as they got out of work and school.

I think with business being priority i would go with ship internet while on board and nix the 15$ one.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. :)