River cruise article in WSJ

hiccups

Interesting. Thanks for the link. In usual journalist fashion, they got some things wrong, but for the general public who knows little about river cruising, it'll be a good enough read.

What were the inaccuracies?

Her statement that no one would ever use a real balcony for one. We have had a real balcony several times and loved it. We had coffee out there in the early mornings, a glass of wine in the afternoons and even lunch one day brought in from a little shop we found while wandering around Ghent.

Also not ALL of Avalon's cabins are Panorama Suites. Another gross generalization that is erroneous.

The article is mostly one person's opinions presented as facts, with a few accurate comments thrown in.

Edited by caviargal

They are quite a few lines that weren't mentioned; makes me wonder if the writer was reporting after being given free trips!

We also used our balcony on our Scenic cruise every day; morning coffee, afternoon watching the world sail by; drinks before dinner and nightcap before bed. Can't imagine being without a true balcony.

They are quite a few lines that weren't mentioned; makes me wonder if the writer was reporting after being given free trips!

We also used our balcony on our Scenic cruise every day; morning coffee, afternoon watching the world sail by; drinks before dinner and nightcap before bed. Can't imagine being without a true balcony.

From a journalistic perspective the article was quite lacking--definitely not what I'd expect from WSJ. I also wondered how the cruise lines were selected. From what I've heard about AMA and Tauck I agree with those assessments, but I'm not as convinced on the other three!

There was also a large Scenic ad below the article, so I thought it amusing they weren't even mentioned.

The description of GCT was accurate. The program directors add tremendously to the trip experience.

It's always interesting to read the comments . . . some totally missed the smaller than a cruise ship concept.

Reading the comments following the article was interesting. One poster didn't get what river cruising was all about--he commented on these poor little towns being overrun when these ships dump their "thousands of passengers" onshore!!!

Another bashed them, saying the ships were full of "snooty libs"!!! I'm sure he's the life of the party!!!! No wonder he hated his cruise with his closemindedness.