Luggage wheel got busted off!

justme_85

Once you hand off your luggage to anyone you are assuming personal liability for it...you've made that choice. It doesn't take a genius to realize that a single piece of luggage is not treated with a modicum of respect when thousands of bags need to move from shore to ship in a few hours.

And all of these stories of having luggage reimbursed have to be mega years old...cruise contracts specifically state the liability the cruise line has (it pays to read the fine print). Ever since 911 the travel industry has changed, what with luggage now going through numerous routes (x-ray, hand inspection) and the fact that luggage has weight and size restrictions.

If you "value" your luggage...don't let it out of your site. Shlep it around. Buy cheap, be prepared to replace often (if you travel a bunch), don't pack valuables or breakables, line your case with plastic wrap, don't buy anything with exposed locks or wheels (the 360 wheel is nice for carry on sucks for everything else) and "expect" that luggage out of your sight will be treated with the utmost disrespect and stop thinking that you are owed anything. Bad luck happens to everyone.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

On a Celebrity cruise some years ago we noticed that when our suitcase was delivered to the room the handle was broken. DH rang guest services who collected the now emptied case and returned it some time later completely repaired (or so we thought). On disembarking and whilst still in the hall we noticed it had broken again so we called over one of the staff members who made a note of it and told us that she would contact HO and so should we. We then said we were flying home and didn't think the case would be manageable and so having made a further inspection she gave us the authority to buy a new case and send the receipt to the HO who would reimburse us.

We did this and Head Office coughed up the cost with no problems whatsoever.

A rarer and rarer wonderful story....

If anyone can find a JC Penny Jaguire..(LOL) who likes softsided I have a roller carrey on that has been a miracle bag...and still is..checked or carried...

I am going to look for in used shops. The inside has those two long roller handles, but strong.... these metal pieces are just covered with that slicker poly like material but that thing and the wheels and what just fits into it and into the tester....if I ever find another from that year..which my guess is mid 90's with wheels built like it is...OMG..probably a lasting "goof" of the money makers...

Same brand 7 to 10 or so years later...in the large size pretty badly scuffed on the rubber plastic covered metal casing corners in one flight only...not as good at all...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

On our first cruise when we received our luggage in our room it had been completely busted. Thankfully I had packed duct tape and we were able to tape it back together. We had never had a problem with it before, but we'd had the luggage for several years. It was easy to find our bag when we unloaded. It was the one wrapped in white duct tape to hold it together. I was very glad we had driven to the port so that we didn't have to try to fly back home with it.

Several years ago, we took a cruise out of San Juan.

We flew American Airlines. When we arrived at SJU, my son's hard-sided luggage was completely useless. We couldn't close it at all.

They weren't going to do anything about it until I had a little hissy fit. They finally brought out a brand new piece of luggage for him.

We got off the cruise to get our luggage and my son's brand new piece of luggage was chewed up by a conveyor belt.

Carnival shrink wrapped it for us so we could get home and we were told to file a claim.

It wasn't worth the hassle, so we just chalked the whole thing up as a loss.

Moral of the story...don't let my son use your luggage.

But it is so easy to maneuver and handle.

We tried a set of spinners once. The wheels are so small that they don't roll on carpet only on hard floors.

We also only get maybe three trips before they are trashed. We don't buy the good stuff any more, it breaks almost as quick as the cheap stuff.

We also don't buy 'sets' anymore. We don't see the sense in using the small or mid size bag anymore, the airlines charge as much as the LARGE bag. For us its 2 large bags and a small carry on.

Yes it happened to me on my Splendor cruise in November. My suitcase arrived at my door and one of the wheels literally popped off. I took the wheel to guest services and filed a report. They gave me a case number to follow up with and I had 30 days after I arrived back home to get it fixed and submit receipts for reimbursement. I never did, just didn't get around to it for one reason or another, so now I'll probably just go buy a new suitcase for my cruise next month. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is this is new luggage!!! My trusted suitcase is 10 years old and weighs 20lbs on its own so I went to a newer piece of luggage that weighs less. I bought it after Christmas. I am so disappointed but trying to NOT let it ruin my vacation before it even starts. I just want Carnival to do right and rectify this.

I had fairly new luggage ruined on a Carnival cruise also. It was Chaps brand from Kohls. It had a warranty on it and it was still under warranty. The end where the wheels are had a bar that went across that prevented the suitcase from falling over when set down and it could also be used when picking it up in a horizontal position to set it on a bed. That was broken, unattached at one end. I took it to guest services and they looked at it and gave me a letter that said I could get it repaired and submit the repair bill.

When I got home, I went to Kohls for something else and saw them putting out new luggage. I asked for a box that was from Chaps luggage. They gave it to me and I sent the piece back to be repaired. This was the largest piece of a 5 piece set. Chaps couldn't repair it, so they sent me another 5 piece set. I now have 9 pieces of matching luggage. I sent Carnival the letter and the $20 postage receipt and they reimbursed me.

Unfortunately yes it happened to me. I called it a loss. It seems to happen any mode of travel. I think airlines are worse. That is why I won't spend a fortune on luggage anymore. Worst about it was getting around with it on the way home!

Yep...like brakes and tires on a car... luggage is a wearable item, and needs replacing from time to time... can't blame any one person... I've had brand new and unused luggage wheels fail.

This happened to us on an airplane. Airlines official position is that luggage is meant to protect the contents- they are not responsible to damage to the luggage, they could not care less if a wheel breaks off. I'm sure cruiselines will think the same.

:(

Hi Everyone!

I just got on board the Carnival Liberty and found my luggage in front of the door. Except the wheel has been busted off somewhere between me handing it over to a porter and being delivered to my room. I went down to guest services and they told me to empty my luggage and take it to them so they can inspect it. Has this ever happened to anyone? In 10 cruises this has never happened to me! Just want to see what they do in this type of situation as it is no longer rollable.

[ATTACH]348972[/ATTACH]

YESSSS.....this has been happening to me and my crew for the last couple of years....thats why i refuse to buy expensive luggage

The plastic hard side cases seem to be the most durable. Ours have made at least four trips to Hawaii (only one round trip on a 777, so the rest on planes that do not use luggage containers) six cruises and quite a few trips up and down the East coast. They are still presentable and will be for several more years. The worst damage to these was one corner stoved in by airline baggage smashers. A judicious application of a heat gun and use of a hammer handle for a dinging dolly.

The funny thing is this is new luggage!!! My trusted suitcase is 10 years old and weighs 20lbs on its own so I went to a newer piece of luggage that weighs less. I bought it after Christmas. I am so disappointed but trying to NOT let it ruin my vacation before it even starts. I just want Carnival to do right and rectify this.

And why is it always Carnival's fault, maybe you should go after the porters which are union longshoremen, making over $30 per hour with a 8 hour pay if they only load for a few hours. The airlines are just as bad.

Happened to me 2 years ago on the Pride....they were very good to me...they sent someone to the room to inspect...they asked how much luggage was (it was a Kohl's 5 piece special) I had got a super price but didn't know how much...they ended up giving me $75 on board credit and I dragged my suitcase off the ship!!!

We usually carry on all our luggage - we've gotten better at packing a little lighter over the years. Plus, on Carnival I can always do laundry if I need to. We've been lucky the times we've checked our luggage, but I'm always amazed when it survives after seeing those bins. I just watch & hope mine is near the top.

The plastic hard side cases seem to be the most durable. Ours have made at least four trips to Hawaii (only one round trip on a 777, so the rest on planes that do not use luggage containers) six cruises and quite a few trips up and down the East coast. They are still presentable and will be for several more years. The worst damage to these was one corner stoved in by airline baggage smashers. A judicious application of a heat gun and use of a hammer handle for a dinging dolly.

So you fixed it a bit? Love your wording and not sure...I want to try this kind too...and it says enough is enough rememberung my friends with those pretty Samsonite ones of yesteryear...

Many years ago my husband and I were sailing from Miami. When we got off the plane, our brand new large suitcase had a huge hole in it. The airline gave us a new suitcase, albeit a really cheap one, but at least we were able to use it for the cruise.

We took the new one to the hotel, now the Holiday Inn port of Miami, as well as the old one. When we got to the room, we removed our things from the old one and put them in the new one. DH got the brilliant idea to put the old one near the elevator to see what happened. He put the side with the hole against the wall.

Five minutes later he went to see if it was still there. Sure enough, it was gone! I think someone who "stole" it felt he got a great deal-----until he turned it over. Every time after that when we stayed at that hotel, we laughed about our experience. By the way,we knew no one from the hotel took it because we had a friend who worked there and we asked him.

Many years ago my husband and I were sailing from Miami. When we got off the plane, our brand new large suitcase had a huge hole in it. The airline gave us a new suitcase, albeit a really cheap one, but at least we were able to use it for the cruise.

We took the new one to the hotel, now the Holiday Inn port of Miami, as well as the old one. When we got to the room, we removed our things from the old one and put them in the new one. DH got the brilliant idea to put the old one near the elevator to see what happened. He put the side with the hole against the wall.

Five minutes later he went to see if it was still there. Sure enough, it was gone! I think someone who "stole" it felt he got a great deal-----until he turned it over. Every time after that when we stayed at that hotel, we laughed about our experience. By the way,we knew no one from the hotel took it because we had a friend who worked there and we asked him.

LOL...maybe theirs was even worse than yours...I am remembering duct tape next cruise...have not done that yet..Cheers..Sarah

And why is it always Carnival's fault, maybe you should go after the porters which are union longshoremen, making over $30 per hour with a 8 hour pay if they only load for a few hours. The airlines are just as bad.

My theory is They only toss the luggage of the non tippers