Car Rental in Miami

SRcruise

We are returning to Miami on 6/27 after our 7 day Glory cruise and will need to rent a car. We will return the car at the Ft. Lauderdale airport so will be charged extra since we won't return to the same location. Does anybody have any money savings ideas on a rental?

We just did the same thing last month. Just keep watching the prices, they do change frequently. Also, be open to options...I was trying to rent a minivan the prices were sky high....one day they were running a special on a 12 person-full size van! It was very cheap and I jumped on it. My family got a kick of everyone having their own entire row.

We caught the free shuttle from the cruiseport to the airport to pick up our rental. Easy as can be.

Kim

In January, we used Hertz. The price and ease was fantastic. We flew in to FLL, picked up the car ($45 or so) and returned it to Miami the next day, caught the free shuttle to the port. While we were on the shuttle, we decided to do the same thing for the return trip. We were playing that by ear because we thought we may want to do a carnival transfer and excursion. I booked, paid and checked in online at that moment. You go straight to the car! It was great. After the cruise, we cruised and parked at South Beach (EXPENSIVE!) to see the art show for a few hours before heading to FLL for our return flight home. The cost was the same each way.

In January, we used Hertz. The price and ease was fantastic. We flew in to FLL, picked up the car ($45 or so) and returned it to Miami the next day, caught the free shuttle to the port. While we were on the shuttle, we decided to do the same thing for the return trip. We were playing that by ear because we thought we may want to do a carnival transfer and excursion. I booked, paid and checked in online at that moment. You go straight to the car! It was great. After the cruise, we cruised and parked at South Beach (EXPENSIVE!) to see the art show for a few hours before heading to FLL for our return flight home. The cost was the same each way.

That is an amazing price that you found! I just looked for Oct 2015 doing the same thing flying into FLL and dropping at Miami airport prior to cruise.......299.00 for one day.......a Kia Rio! Ouch

That is an amazing price that you found! I just looked for Oct 2015 doing the same thing flying into FLL and dropping at Miami airport prior to cruise.......299.00 for one day.......a Kia Rio! Ouch

Yikes!! I'm so sorry - it was Alamo! I just checked my emails. My husband swore it was Hertz! Lol! We cruised in January.

We had one rented for a couple weeks ago, 8:00 to 5:30 for $65 thru Avis/Costco. We decided to book a carnival transfer since we didn't know Miami at all and forgot our gps at home. :( plus we didn't want our last day to be crazy. Went to the Everglades and it was a nice couple hours.

I don't know your exact dates but I just checked Budget for Oct 23 pickup at FLL and dropping off October 24 at MIA and for a week later and they had a ford fusions or similar for $36.75 a day

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

Besides prices you need to consider locations - National, Alamo & Thrifty offer free shuttles from POM to their MIA airport location. Be sure to bring your paperwork to ride the shuttle bus - or skip the bus and cab to MIA for about $25.

Hertz in downtown Miami also offers free shuttles but is also frequently overwhelmed by cruise customers.

Avis and Budge may offer free shuttles to their downtown location - reports are mixed - but if not they are only about a $12 cab ride from POM.

In general you do not pay a drop fee for one-way rentals in FLA :) but you may also not qualify for the best rate. :( In my experience prices far in advance can be high and drop until 2-3+ weeks before your rental; they may go up to take advantage of last minute renters or their may be last minute deals. Book something that you can live with and cancel without penalties, and then keep shopping. ;)

Good luck!