Why Majesty skipping Key West on a few 4 day itineraries?

I was looking at a few deals on Majesty 4 day cruises and there are four itineraries between November 2015 / January 2016 where Key West is omitted in favor of a sea day. These sail dates are cheap, probably because of lack of KW and time of year.

But why would they skip Key West for a few itineraries?

I was looking at a few deals on Majesty 4 day cruises and there are four itineraries between November 2015 / January 2016 where Key West is omitted in favor of a sea day. These sail dates are cheap, probably because of lack of KW and time of year.

Testing

This surely makes not sense to me.....they can figure out what a run to Havana would take.

Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either. Havana is not that far away. Miami to Havana weekend cruises used to be a big thing back in the day.

Just seems odd to cut KW from 4 itineraries and have a sea day.

This makes no sense but on those 4 days that the Majesty is not calling on Key West the Grandeur is. Strange because as there are numerous other dates that 2 ships call on Key West unless on those dates there is one ship that is using a different pier that is not available.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

This makes no sense but on those 4 days that the Majesty is not calling on Key West the Grandeur is. Strange because as there are numerous other dates that 2 ships call on Key West unless on those dates there is one ship that is using a different pier that is not available.

I guess it could be simply that Royal wanted to make a slight change and see how things went for Grandeur. Her Majesty sailings will come to an end soon and perhaps the line is simply experimenting with Itinerary options for other ships in the fleet. Perhaps other cruise lines have ships in KW on that day, and KW has a limit to the # of passengers disembarking in port on a given day....I am just musing.

I guess it could be simply that Royal wanted to make a slight change and see how things went for Grandeur. Her Majesty sailings will come to an end soon and perhaps the line is simply experimenting with Itinerary options for other ships in the fleet. Perhaps other cruise lines have ships in KW on that day, and KW has a limit to the # of passengers disembarking in port on a given day....I am just musing.

That's what is strange about it. There are no other ships in port on those days. Just the Grandeur.

You may have something about it being based on the number of passengers in total as opposed to the number of ships though as I only looked at the number of ships in port as opposed to the passenger count.

That's what is strange about it. There are no other ships in port on those days. Just the Grandeur.

You may have something about it being based on the number of passengers in total as opposed to the number of ships though as I only looked at the number of ships in port as opposed to the passenger count.

As much as some locals vocally object to it, cruise ship passenger visits to KW have grown significantly in the past few years. I am sure the shops that sell pie on a stick, or trashy t-shirts and shot glasses are not among the complainers.

I know sometimes Majesty ends up with a Sea Day when it can't call at Coco Cay. Do they have onboard activities for that? Does the dining room open to handle lunch crowds?

As much as some locals vocally object to it, cruise ship passenger visits to KW have grown significantly in the past few years. I am sure the shops that sell pie on a stick, or trashy t-shirts and shot glasses are not among the complainers.

I know sometimes Majesty ends up with a Sea Day when it can't call at Coco Cay. Do they have onboard activities for that? Does the dining room open to handle lunch crowds?

Haven't been on the Majesty when she has an unscheduled sea day but hey did have a back up plan on the Monarch for those occasions. I would assume they would do something similar on the Majesty. Extra activities and yes the MDR was open for lunch.

Haven't been on the Majesty when she has an unscheduled sea day but hey did have a back up plan on the Monarch for those occasions. I would assume they would do something similar on the Majesty. Extra activities and yes the MDR was open for lunch.

I have been on Her Majesty enough times when a scheduled portstop can't be accommodated by the ship.....and yes they have a different cruise compass all ready and the MDR is open for lunch. They are prepared, because they know it happens plenty.

Jan 21 looks to be because the Grandeur is in Key West, maybe only 1 RCL ship in Key West at a time(?).:confused:

Dec. looks to be from changing a Mon-Fri to Mon-Thur cruise, so the holiday cruises (Christmas and New Years) would extend to Thur-Mon, instead of their normal Fri-Mon.:)

This way passengers would board on Christmas EVE instead of Christmas Day, and New Years EVE intsead of New Years Day.:)

Key West is put on the long weekend holiday cruises.:)

I am wondering if it actually has to do with Coco Cay and not Key West.

It looks like the Enchantment and Majesty calls have been reversed on one of the dates I found. Thanksgiving week that puts Grandeur and Majesty in on Tuesday and then Enchantment in on Wednesday.

Christmas / New Years pattern already pointed out in previous post.

Edited by MADflyer

I think MADflyer is on the right track. On those dates, MOS goes to Coco Cay on Tuesday, then to Nassau on Wednesday. On the itineraries that include Key West, MOS goes to Nassau first. The distance from Nassau to Key West is farther than from Coco Cay.

A couple things I do know....it's not because of high numbers in KW or because another RCI ship is here.

Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either. Havana is not that far away. Miami to Havana weekend cruises used to be a big thing back in the day.

Just seems odd to cut KW from 4 itineraries and have a sea day.

Maybe they're leaving Havana open as an option should approval happen by then.

• 2 months later...

I have my TA doing a courtesy hold for one of the 4 night cruises in December but not sure I will keep it if it has a sea day and not KW. The price is much lower than other 4 night cruises so perhaps that reflects the loss of KW from an interest standpoint. Enchantment is actually closer to us so if I wanted the sea day I'd just go with that ship.

Has anyone found out the reasoning to have a sea day on select itineraries?

Nassau to Key West is 244 nautical miles

Google says Coco Cay to Key West is actually a bit shorter in distance.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi.. Any more feedback on this? Going to be on the Majesty in a little while and although I've done this same itinerary before, not going to KW is going to be a bummer!

They have not changed the standard itinerary. There are a limited number of sailings on Majesty during a peak time at Coco Cay where their itineraries were adapted. These cruises were sold with this itinerary and not changed.

And, I have heard on the boards when this was discussed previously that the military docks at KW. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Not in this case. Military vessels don't dock at Pier B, which is the dock Majesty uses. This is totally because of the Coco Cay/Nassau flip-flop.

Not in this case. Military vessels don't dock at Pier B, which is the dock Majesty uses. This is totally because of the Coco Cay/Nassau flip-flop.

Exactly! I was gonna add that the Navy has it's own pier. Even if there is a Navy ship docked at the Navy pier there are still two docks available in Key West. One ship can use Mallory Square and the other Pier B.

Edited by Eng23