Aft cabin input and dilemma

ZSandy25

We are looking at the Koningsdam sailing Sept. 4, 2016 for 26 days Amsterdam to Rome. I am looking at Vista class cabins. We have never sailed in an aft cabin and would like some input from those who have.

Mid-ship is also available on several decks which is a good location. The trip is very port intensive

Now to the dilemma, they want a $3,500 deposit:eek: for this sailing. The Sept. 18 sailing that would join us and continue on after we disembarked for 26 days is only a $1,200. Go figure....

I know it will all wash in the end and I will have less to pay when due but I just don't like giving up my money so far in advance.

I called HAL and she didn't have any answer to why the difference in deposit. We are taking a Feb. 2016 cruise and I know at that time I could just do the booking onboard and have the reduced deposit but am fearful that a) I won't get the cabin I want, b) the price could jump.

I love the itinerary of this cruise, and we have finally reached a point in our life where we can do longer cruises. I guess I will probably just bite the bullet and book....so back to the first question...what do you think of aft cabins.:D:D:D

We had an aft cabin on Niuew Amsterdam recently. It was slightly longer then the other cabins of the same grade and the balcony was definitely deeper. Being at the back it was sheltered from the breeze and we used it every day. However....it was on deck 8 under the Lido Deck and this was a major downside. We were woken very early around 5.30am every morning by the deck preparations and it was impossible to get back to sleep.

If you go for an aft cabin, do not select one underneath the Lido.

Edited by Bedruthen

Aft cabins have a lot of fans. They also can have some noise and vibration and the ride might not be as smooth as in the middle of the ship.

One for the other so to speak. As long as you are happy with the location, that's the main thing :D

Have to say, we had no problem with vibration in the cabin, despite it being ver noticeable in the MDR on deck 2.

The other issue we noted, which I forgot to mention is that the occupants of the balcony on either side of us were smokers and this was very noticeable when using the balcony, possibly more so than on starboard and aft cabins, as there was little air movement to disperse the smoke.

You may find that people either love them or wouldn't book one again. We happen to love them. The advice not to book under the pool deck is good advice. We always go deck seven by booking far in advance. The cabins are more spacious and we love the view and the short walk up to the pool and buffet.

Can't really speak to configuration of the new ship, so maybe others can help with that. In any event, have a great cruise however you proceed!

We've had a stateroom on the stern several times and always did enjoy them. Until we had smokers on one side of us...and our balcony became unusable.

As another poster noted, there is no air movement back there so it can be difficult.

The best cabin we ever had was on the aft of the Noordam. We loved the unobstructed views! We did not have smokers on either side. Did have drunken neighbors at one point trying to make somewhat of a conversation rather loudly from a ways away, but other than that, there were no issues of that sort. We were under the pool area and did encounter scraping of chairs above us regularly around midnight for cleaning.

To each their own, but for us, it was an extremely positive and unforgettable experience.

Happy Travels!

Edited by syesmar

We've had a stateroom on the stern several times and always did enjoy them. Until we had smokers on one side of us...and our balcony became unusable.

As another poster noted, there is no air movement back there so it can be difficult.

I happen to enjoy a cigar, but I never, ever smoke on our balcony. I think it's very unfair to our neighbors, but it can happen on any cabin location. I don't want to start a smoking thread, but I do wish smoking was banned on balconies. It seems only fair. But the aft locations are great. It's sometimes the luck of the draw, regardless of location.