Tex Mex Restaurant?

Zeta3

Yes, i used to love that Mexican Restaurant. In 2009 and 10. It was replaced by Moderno. I particularly don't like Moderno just too much meat for my taste, but i love the Grilled Pineapple :D:D:D

Ditto....totally agree.

Moderno's has great salad bar....but all the meats start to taste alike...same seasoning.

Wish they would open a Tex-Mex place

Safe sailing

I remember Salsa on the Dawn. Wasn't great, but worked for me (especially since DH **hated** anything remotely Tex-Mex :p). He could get dinner from Cagneys.

I remember it closed back in 2011 (I think it was 2011). I was sad about that.

Moderno's is OK. DH liked it. Then again, he liked meals dominated by "meat" - me, well, not so much. It's OK for once during a cruise though.

I don't believe any of them usually open when in port from what I can recall. I know Teppanyaki does a lunch on sea days - but don't ever remember the others opening at lunch.

Then, again, we always were in the Haven, so had lunch via Cagneys. Maybe I just didn't read everything so carefully?

There's a site called web.archive.org which saves previous versions of websites so you can look up what a site used to look like years ago. Here's a 2008 version of the http://www.ncl.com pages showing the Jewel's public spaces - including a description of Tango's Tapas Latin Restaurant:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080410002320/http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/publicRooms.html?shipCode=JEWEL#

Also note: 24 hour Room Service without mentioning ANY CHARGE :D

Just kidding!

I remember dining in Tango's and even though I'm pretty easily satisfied with anything tex-mex (it not being widely available where I live) found it not really good enough to go there twice.

That said, I have high hopes for the Escape's Margariateville, I think it may be the closest in tex-mex cuisine we can hope for on NCL.

cruiserke;46595240']

That said' date=' I have high hopes for the Escape's Margariateville, I think it may be the closest in tex-mex cuisine we can hope for on NCL.[/quote']

That's one of the places I'll be interesting in hearing first-hand reports about once the Escape starts sailing.

Yes, the Jewel had one I know and I didn't think it was very good. The Star also had one, it was better but never very busy. I guess they just didn't go over with NCL cruisers.
The Star was where I ate there. I remember having a quesadilla.

• 3 weeks later...
It was NOT Tex-Mex - at least nothing that tastes like the Tex-Mex here in Texas. It was called Paniola's Tapas and Salsa and was billed as "Latin food" and not very good, at that. They had Tapas they claimed were hot in spicy, but were, in fact, blah and so-so. The restaurant was replaced by Moderno. This was the menu:

Pride of Hawaii (Now the NCL Jade) - Paniolo Tapas & Salsa Restaurant

So confusing as NCL's own website for Jade has both Moderno and Paniolo listed as being public rooms on deck 8 plus Blue Lagoon, but when you look at the actual plan Paniolo is nowhere to be found.

Under the ships details ('What's onboard - Drink) they have Paniolo listed as a bar seating 82 people and even have a 360 degree Virtual tour of the venue.

We ate at Salsas on the Dawn in 2004. It was a Mexican restaurant. We were a big group of 20 people and we ate there in embarkation day. We all enjoyed that dinner, but we are all from NY and have never been to Texas so never had truly authentic Tex-Mex food. Back then it was a complimentary restaurant, as was the Italian restaurant which we did not like at all. But being from NYC, we should have realized that we aren't going to get the same Italian food on vacation as we do here in Brooklyn!

My 1st cruise on the Dawn in 2003 the only pay restaurants were Le Bistro and Cagney's. I remember my BIL ordering 2 filets and 2 lobster tails in the MDR (Venetian?) and the waiter not blinking LOL

Yes, back then the complimentary restaurants were the Mexican, the Italian, the MDR, buffet, and blue Lagoon. The only restaurants with a charge were Cagney's, Le Bistro, and the Asian restaurant and sushi bar.

Edited by bangzoom6877

I think it was called Tequila on one of the ships, maybe Gem or Dawn?

I also loved it, and the kids loved the lobster tacos.

I think Dawn had La Trattoria instead of La Cucina too.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

The Jewel definitely has Tango's in 2011, and I would guess that it was replaced by Moderno. Sad because it was only $10 and you got a complimentary margarita! I remember loving that place and enjoyed the food a lot.

I think it was called Tequila on one of the ships, maybe Gem or Dawn?

I also loved it, and the kids loved the lobster tacos.

I think Dawn had La Trattoria instead of La Cucina too.

Yes, La Trattoria was on the Dawn in 2004 as well as the Spirit when we went in 2006. There was also an Italian restaurant on the Norwegian Sea (very small ship but we loved it) in 2002 that was free...they converted part of the seating area of the buffet into the Italian restaurant every night!