Disappointed with Captain's meet on May 18,2015 Carnival Inspiration

Quite possibly he was worried about the weather and currents in the Channel. The Channel's nasty at any time and worse when a storm is brewing, as it was on Tuesday.

I think you are absolutely correct! The weather has been so iffy lately and the swells have been so bad they've been diverting to San Pedro (San Diego once!) and shuffling itineraries. I'd be shocked (and a little concerned) if that wasn't weighing more heavily on his mind than "did I shake his hand thoroughly enough? Smile showing just the right number of teeth?

I'm Mom to a Navy officer. A few times each year the ship is opened for tours for civilians. Last time son was the officer tasked with planning the whole event. No, it's not his favorite part of work - he's much happier making sure the engine room is running properly. However, it's part of the job - and I have great Facebook photos of son in his dress whites, smiling for the camera. It's good will for the ship - some of today's young tour goers may be tomorrow's Navy officers. For cruise ship officers, same thing goes - today's newbie passenger will be tomorrow's repeat passenger.

I think you are absolutely correct! The weather has been so iffy lately and the swells have been so bad they've been diverting to San Pedro (San Diego once!) and shuffling itineraries. I'd be shocked (and a little concerned) if that wasn't weighing more heavily on his mind than "did I shake his hand thoroughly enough? Smile showing just the right number of teeth?

And again for either today's sailing of the Imagination or tomorrow's sailing of the inspiration. Someone just posted a notice about it. First time I've seen them move ships for the currents.

Edited by SadieN

The bottom-line is if the Captain does not enjoy interacting with the passengers then he should refrain from doing so. It would be much better for the ship to just not have the Meet-the-Captain experience than to have the passengers wait in line to get the opportunity to meet him only to be greeted by a surly attitude......

As others have posted, the Captain does have an important job but he also needs to realize that without the paying guests he wouldn't be in his position.

Either put on a happy face or stay up in the bridge and let the another Carnival officer fill in.

JMHO.

The bottom-line is if the Captain does not enjoy interacting with the passengers then he should refrain from doing so. It would be much better for the ship to just not have the Meet-the-Captain experience than to have the passengers wait in line to get the opportunity to meet him only to be greeted by a surly attitude......

As others have posted, the Captain does have an important job but he also needs to realize that without the paying guests he wouldn't be in his position.

Either put on a happy face or stay up in the bridge and let the another Carnival officer fill in.

JMHO.

Agreed totally

The Captain's Invitation is at the discretion of the Captain and not guaranteed to occur. Sometimes there is no event, sometimes the Captain doesn't show up, etc.

There is also an opportunity to meet the Captain earlier in the cruise on the first elegant night.

I was on Carnival Inspiration.

My cruise friends decided we meet the captain on the formal night.

When we got there, the attitude of the captain was really bad.

He would not Iook into our eyes when he shakes our hands.

It was like he had no mood to be there and that we are not important.

He was such a snob.

The friendliest guys were the directors in HR, and the doctor...

I guess he was upset at the low turnout...

Clara

you were on the Inspiration! Who would expect much, why let something like that bother you. Any captains meeting was borderline boring with some watered down drinks and a lot of clapping.

No wonder he is the captain of that rust bucket Carnival Imagination...

Your "rust bucket" comments are getting very old. Have you ever actually been on a Fantasy class ship? I have been on two, and other than not having all of the new amenities, they were very good cruises.

If you have actually been on one please detail out the issues you had that warrant the "rust bucket" comments.

Your "rust bucket" comments are getting very old. Have you ever actually been on a Fantasy class ship? I have been on two, and other than not having all of the new amenities, they were very good cruises.

If you have actually been on one please detail out the issues you had that warrant the "rust bucket" comments.

I love fantasy class ships too... but let's be honest. They definitely are rust buckets. Putting lipstick on a pig still means it's a pig.

I love fantasy class ships too... but let's be honest. They definitely are rust buckets. Putting lipstick on a pig still means it's a pig.

They definitely are not rust buckets. You must be making up your own definitions. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your thread. We've had some really great Captains, but can't say any of them made a significant contribution to our cruise, Doctors either...Competence would be our main concern. Cruise Director's or Cruise Director Assistants have made a significant contribution to some of our cruises. :):):):)

This.

Ship captains are people who love the sea and love to sail. Attending parties and PR aren't necessarily high on their list of "likes".

Now if the CD or people at guest services were as you described, that would be a problem.

They know it's part of the job and there are lots of other ships that don't have that as a requirement of the job. If they are professional then they know what to do. All the Captains we have met have been extremely friendly and courteous.

I was on Carnival Inspiration.

My cruise friends decided we meet the captain on the formal night.

When we got there, the attitude of the captain was really bad.

He would not Iook into our eyes when he shakes our hands.

It was like he had no mood to be there and that we are not important.

He was such a snob.

The friendliest guys were the directors in HR, and the doctor...

I guess he was upset at the low turnout...

Clara

Which would you rather have - a responsible ship's Captain who can command and manage the ship in emergency and non-emergency circumstances

or

Someone who shakes your hand in a manner acceptable to you ?

Which would you rather have - a responsible ship's Captain who can command and manage the ship in emergency and non-emergency circumstances

or

Someone who shakes your hand in a manner acceptable to you ?

Why do you think both aspects are mutually exclusive? Most cruise Captains can do both.......you set you expectations too low. He is still just an employee for a vacation you are paying for.

Yep, as noted above, he's probably all BUMMED and EMBARRASSED about being aboard the wrong ship! He's the captain of the Imagination, and here he is, at the "dog and pony show" for passengers of the Inspiration. Guess he turned the wrong way on the pier? :confused: (I HATE when that happens!) :eek:

"SKY"

That could really ruin his day:):)