Airport Transfers

Rickytop

Sailing on the Oosterdam, Aug. 30 out of Vancouver. We have booked the pre and post cruise transfers. Have cruised before, but this is our first HAL cruise. Flight lands at 10 am in Vancouver, we sail at 5pm. Flight leaves Anchorage at 2:30pm. Any advice, tips, or info on the process would be appreciated. Thanx

Sailing on the Oosterdam, Aug. 30 out of Vancouver. We have booked the pre and post cruise transfers. Have cruised before, but this is our first HAL cruise. Flight lands at 10 am in Vancouver, we sail at 5pm. Flight leaves Anchorage at 2:30pm. Any advice, tips, or info on the process would be appreciated. Thanx

I have mixed feelings on HAL's transfers. Normally we do our own transfers to/from the port, but at times I use their service. One nice thing about HAL transfers - there are HAL staff in red coats directly you once you get your luggage.

At ports like Vancouver, San Diego, Fort Lauderdale or others which are near to the airport or we are familiar with, we take a taxi or public transportation in a few cases. In these cases we like the significant cost savings, plus it is quicker to do our own thing (no waiting on the bus to load up).

In ports that are further from the airport or in cities that we are not familiar with, we go with HAL. Recent example - in Montreal we took HAL's transfer as I was concerned that their would not be enough taxi's, plus I liked not having to worry about speaking French and not have to be concerned about the taxi fare. It worked it great - as soon as we had our luggage we were directed to the bus with no waiting (the taxi line was VERY long). Further, traffic in downtown Montreal was a mess and it took forever to get through it.

Do you pay more using HAL - yes, but sometimes it is worth not having the hassle. Since you are getting off the ship in Seward, a long way from Anchorage and you have a 2:30 PM flight, I would use HAL's transfers.

Edited by DaveOKC

The staff in red coats will be easy to find and they will have a list of people with transfers. They will be waiting for you after you go through customs and will be around the luggage pickup area. They will tell you where to leave your luggage and direct you to the appropriate bus.

The last time we transferred from the airport in Vancouver we were late arriving. The transfer bus had already left for the ship. When we saw the HAL rep she had already collected our checked luggage (our HAL tags were on them) and told us to hurry. She put us in a cab and directed the cab driver where to go. When we got to the almost empty cruise terminal the people who checked us in were waiting for us, got us processed and onto the ship just as the muster drill was beginning!

When you do your travel documents you provide HAL with your flight arrangements and their reps at the airport have a list telling them who is coming in on each flight. They will be looking for you!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! The Oosterdam is a beautiful ship and I am confident you will have a great cruise. We will soon be sailing on HAL for the 21st time and have always used HAL transfers. In some cases the cost is comparable to a Taxi, and we have never felt delayed by what some refer to as "waiting for the bus to load." The bus guide always welcomes us and gives information about sites along the way. It is just a reliable way to get to the ship. The HAL officials in baggage claim are very efficient and you will be on your way in no time!

Bon Voyage

Karen

In Vancouver I would take a taxi. It's about a 20 minute ride especially on a Sunday morning ($30.00 + tip). Tell the taxi driver to take Granville Street to Canada Place (cruise ship terminal). Granville is a loooong street and this way you won't get taken on a different and expensive ride.

As an alternative, you can take the Canada Line sky train from the airport and ride it to the Waterfront station, which is right next door to Canada Place and the terminal. Check out the Translink website for details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can manage your luggage on your own the Canada Line sky train is a good, inexpensive way to get to the cruise terminal. There is a walk through the skytrain Waterfront Station, and then an escalator to Canada Place, or a few blocks walk outside Waterfront Station to Canada Place. There are machines at the Airport Skytrain Station that take credit cards or cash for a ticket.

We have not worn red coats or sweaters in San Diego for 5 years. Just look for the Holland America rep at your luggage carousel.

David

I really liked those red jackets. So easy to identify. So, beyond looking for someone with a clipboard, how do I identify a HAL rep as opposed to the other cruise lines. Have they changed the uniform or is there no uniform anymore?

We took the HAL shuttle from and to the airport for the first time. When we arrived in Vancouver we walked up to the luggage carousel and were immediately greeted by a HAL representative who said we looked like 'HAL people'. LOL. Since our flight was very early we were able to relax and grab a 'timmies' while the first shuttle bus arrived from the ship. After a quick walk to the bus, we had a great guided tour to the ship by the shuttle bus driver (this was something above and beyond what we paid).

On the way back it was a bit crowded. Two ships disembarking at Canada Place and dozens of representatives pointing the way to the shuttles, only to line up and wait 20 minutes. Not bad if you are healthy, but a little uncomfortable. We boarded the bus and somehow were the only HAL people among Princess people. The only complaint on the bus was the coughing and hacking by the Princess gang. And, now we are both sick.

We might not take the shuttle again, but it was worth the experience.

[by the way DaveOKC, all the taxi drivers in Montréal speak English; and, given the amount of construction this year a shuttle is a good choice]

If you attach your cruise luggage tag on your airline checked luggage.....you'll have a rep watching for you, instead of you looking for them.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

In Vancouver I would take a taxi. It's about a 20 minute ride especially on a Sunday morning ($30.00 + tip). Tell the taxi driver to take Granville Street to Canada Place (cruise ship terminal). Granville is a loooong street and this way you won't get taken on a different and expensive ride.
Another vote for a taxi when travelling heavy with luggage...

Granville??? If you want to see the retail district and enjoy traffic light congestion. Then again the fare is fixed from the airport to downtown.

For speed, I prefer Oak.... fewer lights and more left turn bays at intersections to minimize congestion.

For beauty.... I prefer Cambie and see the heritiage boulevard. It's a long linear park in the South half of the city. Beautiful in May when the cherry blossoms are out. As you get to the mid area of Vancouver, the taxi will meander briefly around an ancient volcano. When it gets dark, the Cambie retail district has beautiful lights.

Granville, Oak and Cambie are about the same travel distance when you factor in the bridges.

Edited by xlxo