Adventure of the Seas HONEST Review, May 16-23, 2015

MrSmoofy,

Thanks for your honest and well balanced review. I'm glad you are going to give RC another try. I have discovered, from my own past experiences, that sometimes my first impression of things does not live up to my expectations.

Have you considered booking a balcony room or a junior/mini-suite? I think you would enjoy it very much.

I hope you will post another review when you return from you next RC cruise. Happy sailing!

We do have a balcony room booked for the next trip as my understanding is there will be lots to see as we sail in and out of port so we opted for that.

Thank you for seeing that the review is not all negative. I did have a good time I liked the beach in Aruba better than Curacao and I had been to St. Thomas and St. Kitts before (and San Juan) so knew what to expect there.

Like I've said it wasn't that the cruise was bad it just didn't not live up to what my expectations were based on everyone telling me how great RCI is. To me it was just another average cruise line not necessarly bad they did do some things better but they did some thing worse then others.

Glad to see some people reply that seem to be level headed about things compared to other threads where I'm immediatly attacked by what I call are cheerleading RCI people that have never been on another cruise line before and have nothing to compare to. My cruising started back in the day with Premier Cruise Lines no longer in business since 2000 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Cruise_Line) so it's not like this is my first dance.

Like I've said it wasn't that the cruise was bad it just didn't not live up to what my expectations were based on everyone telling me how great RCI is. To me it was just another average cruise line not necessarly bad they did do some things better but they did some thing worse then others.

Glad to see some people reply that seem to be level headed about things compared to other threads where I'm immediatly attacked by what I call are cheerleading RCI people that have never been on another cruise line before and have nothing to compare to. My cruising started back in the day with Premier Cruise Lines no longer in business since 2000 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Cruise_Line) so it's not like this is my first dance.

I always get a chuckle out of posters that have only been on Royal. However, while we have been on all the majors except Disney, I'm really not much of an authority anymore because all we have done lately is Royal

You said this was honest, so I don't know why some people have to bash you. Obviously you liked enough things to give them another chance.

Toast: I have never, on any cruise line I've sailed, had a good piece of toast, not even in the DR's! I think they teach everything to their staff except toast making!:rolleyes:

Who, exactly, was bashing the original post? Most were thanking the poster, one person who was on the same cruise basically disagreed- but considering that the original post bashed people who didn't notice problems as being on drugs, it was barely being bashed.

Then again, I find it amusing that people say it's more honest that you have some negative, which implies that someone who had just a wonderful time and didn't notice one bad thing is lying.

Which post immediately attacked you? Specifically?

Especially when you attack others who posted as if they were trying to fool you into thinking that the ship is great, or that they are on drugs for missing what you think is obvious.

So it's ok for you to attack others who had positive reviews before you got on, but not ok for them to defend themselves?

Interesting.

it is great that you had a good time, good enough to book another trip on a different ship.

but still...

Edited by alfaeric

Who, exactly, was bashing the original post? Most were thanking the poster, one person who was on the same cruise basically disagreed- but considering that the original post bashed people who didn't notice problems as being on drugs, it was barely being bashed.

Then again, I find it amusing that people say it's more honest that you have some negative, which implies that someone who had just a wonderful time and didn't notice one bad thing is lying.

I'm referring to other threads not this one. I've posted about my experience with RCI during the whole process.

I'm referring to other threads not this one. I've posted about my experience with RCI during the whole process.

So why bring it up in this one?

Reading your first post, you accused other posters of trying to fool you or being on drugs. How is that not attacking other posters?

I found the toilet seats in the staterooms absolutely disgusting, even our stateroom attendant was embaraced, however RCL does not see the need to replace them. Also the carpets in the stateroom really are due to be replaced, however it looks they will do everything to keep the ship as is until the major dry dock planed for 2016 when all staterooms etc will be redone and new features such as the Flowrider will be added. For some reason all those things were planed for the dry dock last year but were later cancelled.

The Windjammer experience at lunch I found the worst on all ships I have been in. The variety was the most limited I ever experienced, however I hope this is more due to the crowd who unfortunately prefer to focus their eating habits on hot dogs and burgers. Can't judge the Windjammer for breakfast or dinner as I never end up there for those meals.

Lastly, the disembarking of the ship in San Juan is the slowest and most unorganized process I experienced.

I found the toilet seats in the staterooms absolutely disgusting, even our stateroom attendant was embaraced, however RCL does not see the need to replace them. Also the carpets in the stateroom really are due to be replaced, however it looks they will do everything to keep the ship as is until the major dry dock planed for 2016 when all staterooms etc will be redone and new features such as the Flowrider will be added. For some reason all those things were planed for the dry dock last year but were later cancelled.

The Windjammer experience at lunch I found the worst on all ships I have been in. The variety was the most limited I ever experienced, however I hope this is more due to the crowd who unfortunately prefer to focus their eating habits on hot dogs and burgers. Can't judge the Windjammer for breakfast or dinner as I never end up there for those meals.

Lastly, the disembarking of the ship in San Juan is the slowest and most unorganized process I experienced.

Agree about the condition of the carpet and the state room furniture is very worn out. Also agree about the Windjammer

As for disembarking, what part was slow and unorganized? We had the Old/New San Juan excursion so we were in the Imperial Lounge by 7:45 we sat maybe 30min there and then went down and got off, got our bags but we paid a porter to help with them and in doing so we did not have to wait in line there was a special line for them so it took maybe 5 min.

It's possible to be on the same cruise and have different experiences. I was also trying to be honest. Everyone's experience is subjective.

No to drugs though :o)

Tom

So is this poster on drugs and foolish? Let alone not honest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2214053

You were on the same cruise and had very different experiences. Very.

It's possible to be on the same cruise and have different experiences. I was also trying to be honest. Everyone's experience is subjective.

No to drugs though :o)

Tom

Mr. Smoofy, a look at my AoS review from May 3 (last one in my sig).

I'd be really interested to compare notes. I had PLENTY of drugs but, other than Jack Daniels, they were all anti-cholinergics for motion sickness.:D

Wow it did not look anything like that in September. It had a recent dry dock

before that. We sailed on her many years ago and considering her age, I think she looked pretty good to me. And since I always go to the omelet bar for breakfast I never had any issues. Things cooked to perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by abridalmaven

Mr. Smoofy- Diamond RCI & cruise agent here...Thanks for the review..my wife & I are sailing the AOS in November because we have never been to 4 of the 5 ports on the itinerary..we cruised the AOS in May 2005 to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, and she was only 4 years old then, now she is 14..I expect her to be somewhat worn..my friends were on her Feb 2014 & said it was the worst RCI cruise ( out of 7) they had ever taken..food & shows were mediocre to terrible..in fact, when I asked them to join us in Nov. for the cruise, they both replied, "not even if it was free.."..wow, bad statement!!

First, anyone who stays in a promenade stateroom is going to hear noise & music..NO WAY it cannot be heard..when I was on the AOS the first time walking in the Royal Promenade, one of the first things I noticed were those promenade cabins...I said to my wife, "NO way I would ever stay in those cabins- too much noise"..I am a light sleeper ( I can hear our pets walk on the carpet, lol), so I choose cabins carefully ( always cabins above & below, always within 10 cabins near elevators) .Sorry to hear your neighbors were so noisy- I hate that..some people on cruise ships are so rude, forgetting that others can hear what you say.. Your choice of a balcony cabin for your next cruise is a better choice IMO.

Second, like all others have said, food is very subjective..I have read reviews of a cruise I was on where I thought the MDR food was decent, and another reviewer trashed it..I am not expecting much from the MDR, since I'm not a big fan of MDR food...on our last RCI cruise ( Oasis in Oct), the MDR food was actually quite good ( IMO, of course..)..entertainment ( which you did not mention much of) is also quite subjective...

I would suggest you try one of the newer RCI ships ( Freedom/ Oasis class) and I think you will find them fresher & have more dining options..Navigator Of The Seas has recently gone thru a nice re-fitting....so has the Voyager...Happy Cruising in the future...

Big Al

I stayed in the promenade cabin the first time we were on her and unless you go to

Bed at 10'pm noise was NOT an issue. I have stayed in

Promenade cabins on other ships also, last time was in the Ben and Jerry suite on

The Indy. And again we were quite happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Smoofy, a look at my AoS review from May 3 (last one in my sig).

I'd be really interested to compare notes. I had PLENTY of drugs but, other than Jack Daniels, they were all anti-cholinergics for motion sickness.:D

NAILED IT! :) While I can't say I had toilet trouble like you I agree with you on the food and condition of the boat. Also just like you our room steward who was awesome at his job and kept our ice bucket fresh and got the extra tip he deserved but not very personable either.

Why is it that when someone has a bad experience with RCI people will post that they hope the person will give the line another chance and then when we have someone who is giving RCI another chance people ask why is the person booking with RCI again?:rolleyes:

The OP had some issues with the ship. Obviously, he had a good enough experience where he feels it is worth trying another cruise with RCI. His complaints about slow bar service or grumpy next cruise staff are certainly not new to these boards so I suspect his experience was quite real.

I am sorry to read about the dis-satisfaction with the medical facility. Even though I have no reason to, I take it a bit personally when medical personel seem to fall short.

I was on Adventure the week of April 26th from that time to your cruise the ship must have got trashed real bad, because i didnt find it that bad and yes i have been on other ships. For someone to go on a cruise and count how many light bulbs are burnt you have WAY to much time on your hands, I am an electrician and I didnt notice those things and its my job. I will agree with you some what on the food

I agree. I sailed her May 9th. To each his/her own. I figure with 3-4k passengers each week, some wear and tear is expected. I'm not looking to buy the ship, nor does some wear effect my vacation experience.

OP, which room did you have?? This could help others avoid the noise. We had 7577 and had zero noise or vibration.

Agree with the windjammer food, I ate the salad after giving up with other "warm" selections. Our MDR server Binu was incredible, the best service ever.

Also agree with the decreased drink wait staff. Never before on any cruise had I needed to get my own behind up for a drink. I only had ONE server catch me and save me the trip, was very displeased, although I adjusted and walked to to the bar.

I was reinvigorated with RCI after this cruise and booked two more. The staff was amazing, everywhere, aside from fewer drink servers. Oh and the main shows!! Top notch every evening.

Thanks for sharing:D

Edited by nimbex1970

Our MDR server Binu was incredible, the best service ever.

That's two votes for Binu as top notch. Combined with Lucia, they were the best team we have ever had on any ship.

It also appears that the OP, Nimbex and myself are very close to agreement on our very recent cruises. We had a bit better time with the pool waiters and the circulating waiters at the Schooner but they didn't get to play Flushin Roulette so it's a draw.:D

Edited by JohnGaltny

I agree. I sailed her May 9th. To each his/her own. I figure with 3-4k passengers each week, some wear and tear is expected. I'm not looking to buy the ship, nor does some wear effect my vacation experience.

OP, which room did you have?? This could help others avoid the noise. We had 7577 and had zero noise or vibration.

Agree with the windjammer food, I ate the salad after giving up with other "warm" selections. Our MDR server Binu was incredible, the best service ever.

Also agree with the decreased drink wait staff. Never before on any cruise had I needed to get my own behind up for a drink. I only had ONE server catch me and save me the trip, was very displeased, although I adjusted and walked to to the bar.

I was reinvigorated with RCI after this cruise and booked two more. The staff was amazing, everywhere, aside from fewer drink servers. Oh and the main shows!! Top notch every evening.

Thanks for sharing:D

Interesting not to far from you in 7587. We never heard crowd noice the only people we heard were the neighbors arguing. The only time we were in our room was when we were sleeping, I think our neighbors were always there, well it seemed that way.

The music noise most of the time was muffled but could be heard it was only 1 night don't recall which that it was extra loud enough to shake the bed. Not at young as I use to be and needing to get up early for excursions before it got to hot meant we were usually in bed or heading that way by 10pm. Music seemed to go on till atleast 11pm

I as keep saying had a great vacation none of this ruined it just very disapointed at the Quality of RCI as based on what I was told I had much higher expectations. As for the show I think they were terrible and have seen much better on other cruise lines.

Thank you for your honest review. I haven't sailed Royal yet, looking forward to sailing on the Adventure next year.

One thing that puzzles me is that some people suggest sailing one of the newer ships to get that WOW expectation (food, service, etc.) In my opinion, you shouldn't have to sail on a newer, more expensive ship in order to get the same service on another ship of the same cruise line.

I understand that there will be some differences because of size of ships, however, you still expect the same great service on all of Royal's sailings.

Right now, the reviews I'm researching for the AOS are 50/50. It will not deter me from sailing on her.

Newer ships, like Oasis and Quantum class, have more venues like specialty restaurants and newer cool things like diving contests and aqua shows and big balls hanging off the side.

In my experience the quality of the MDR, shows, games, etc. on all of the ships has been pretty equal. I didn't think the food on the Oasis was better than Adventure, but they did have a donut store and some other options like carnival food in the Boardwalk section and Central Park Cafe that Adventure doesn't have.

The problem is the cooler newer ships really have boring itineraries IMO. They often go to the same old western Caribbean stops that all have "cruise bubbles" when you get off the ship. We went on Adventure recently because we wanted to see some of the other islands.

I think a lot of it depends on where you want to go, but you are right. The quality should be the same regardless of the size of the ship and, I think, it mostly is...

Tom

Thank you for your honest review. I haven't sailed Royal yet, looking forward to sailing on the Adventure next year.

One thing that puzzles me is that some people suggest sailing one of the newer ships to get that WOW expectation (food, service, etc.) In my opinion, you shouldn't have to sail on a newer, more expensive ship in order to get the same service on another ship of the same cruise line.

I understand that there will be some differences because of size of ships, however, you still expect the same great service on all of Royal's sailings.

Right now, the reviews I'm researching for the AOS are 50/50. It will not deter me from sailing on her.

Newer ships, like Oasis and Quantum class, have more venues like specialty restaurants and newer cool things like diving contests and aqua shows and big balls hanging off the side.

In my experience the quality of the MDR, shows, games, etc. on all of the ships has been pretty equal. I didn't think the food on the Oasis was better than Adventure, but they did have a donut store and some other options like carnival food in the Boardwalk section and Central Park Cafe that Adventure doesn't have.

The problem is the cooler newer ships really have boring itineraries IMO. They often go to the same old western Caribbean stops that all have "cruise bubbles" when you get off the ship. We went on Adventure recently because we wanted to see some of the other islands.

I think a lot of it depends on where you want to go, but you are right. The quality should be the same regardless of the size of the ship and, I think, it mostly is...

Tom

Big Balls hanging off the side. :what:

North Star. :confused:

So why bring it up in this one?

Reading your first post, you accused other posters of trying to fool you or being on drugs. How is that not attacking other posters?

You are too concrete and literal to understand the implications of the statement. Deep breath.. it's ok:rolleyes:

That's two votes for Binu as top notch. Combined with Lucia, they were the best team we have ever had on any ship.

It also appears that the OP, Nimbex and myself are very close to agreement on our very recent cruises. We had a bit better time with the pool waiters and the circulating waiters at the Schooner but they didn't get to play Flushin Roulette so it's a draw.:D

I loved your review John:D We had no flushing roulette, rooms 7557 and 7552. We bypassed the schooner as I don't care for piano bar, but we were right outside dancing, having a drink or winning in the casino.

Binu and Lucia personally cooked Filipino food for us and table mates every night. The best wait staff in over 15 cruises.

This cruise reaffirmed RCI for me (sorry I stated that somewhere else). Perfect, heck no.... an amazing time... heck yes:D