Help me understand renting boston whalers

mitsugirly

I am now getting extremely anxious and nervous because H2o has not answered my last email to them (with 1 last question and to let them know I was ready to book and send my information to them) for the last 2 days. :eek: They were writing me back within the hour after all of the other emails and now nothing.

I sent them another email this morning, along with a copy of my last email, once again telling them I'm ready to book...and still nothing today. :(

This is making me nervous now with only 1 more week to go. :o

Thinking of renting from H2o as well. Is there anywhere to purchase beer, soda, sandwiches etc. close by?

I can't remember what they sell at their store but you can ask them. I seem to remember they also provide coolers with ice. As I mentioned earlier there's a great deli somewhere along the road in that area, perhaps a resident or expert on BDM can give you the details, I can't remember the exact location in relation to H2O. There's also a store within walking distance of H2O, again can't remember what they stocked but I'm sure someone familiar with that area can help.

You can also buy everything at the pharmacy in the dockyard along with a cooler.

Note - the link to the website I provided earlier is Raj's site and he is very responsive and helpful with any questions, here is his contact -

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_0000fa.htm

I can't remember what they sell at their store but you can ask them. I seem to remember they also provide coolers with ice. As I mentioned earlier there's a great deli somewhere along the road in that area, perhaps a resident or expert on BDM can give you the details, I can't remember the exact location in relation to H2O. There's also a store within walking distance of H2O, again can't remember what they stocked but I'm sure someone familiar with that area can help.

You can also buy everything at the pharmacy in the dockyard along with a cooler.

Note - the link to the website I provided earlier is Raj's site and he is very responsive and helpful with any questions, here is his contact -

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_0000fa.htm

Do you (or anyone else) know if the pharmacy at the dockyard (or anywhere else) sells soda and chips there? (and a price if so).

This "Raj"...is he a local Bermudian?

Raj lives in India, and he relies on what other people tell him, not recent personal experience. As a result there's a history of his site having a lot of incorrect and outdated information.

Not that everything on his site is wrong...far from it...but it's better to rely on Cruise Critic, and these local Bermuda sites. The first is maintained by a Bermudian, the second is the official Bermuda tourism site:

http://www.bermuda-online.org

http://www.gotobermuda.com

Do you (or anyone else) know if the pharmacy at the dockyard (or anywhere else) sells soda and chips there? (and a price if so).

All these threads are getting me confused. There was a market at the Dockyard near the bus and ferry stops where you can buy that stuff if its still there. I used to buy Ginger Beer to take back to the US there. The Pharmacy does have sodas and snacks.

As far as prices, Bermuda isn't cheap! Everything is shipped in. I don't recall the prices but they are higher than 7/11.

Edited by Charles4515

All these threads are getting me confused. There was a market at the Dockyard near the bus and ferry stops where you can buy that stuff if its still there. I used to buy Ginger Beer to take back to the US there. The Pharmacy does have sodas and snacks.

As far as prices, Bermuda isn't cheap! Everything is shipped in. I don't recall the prices but they are higher than 7/11.

That's what I figured (they were pretty high). We plan on taking our own soda with us but who knows if we'll have enough left over by that day and thought we might need to stop and get more for our day here on the boat. It would also be nice to have some chips or snacks along the way with the kids and all.

I would love to know if H2o has snacks and soda there at their place. I won't be walking down the road or anything to try to find a place to purchase them (from H2o) the day we go. There's just not enough time to do that.

They have a deli, and Raj is not a local but a lover of BDM who is very knowledgeable and helpful.

That's what I figured (they were pretty high). We plan on taking our own soda with us but who knows if we'll have enough left over by that day and thought we might need to stop and get more for our day here on the boat. It would also be nice to have some chips or snacks along the way with the kids and all.

I would love to know if H2o has snacks and soda there at their place.

Yes, but just ask, it really is that simple! ;) and there is time to hit a store if you get good directions and leave early. Don't be afraid to use the resources provided

They have a deli, and Raj is not a local but a lover of BDM who is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Good to hear they have a deli there. That should work.

Yes, but just ask, it really is that simple! ;) and there is time to hit a store if you get good directions and leave early. Don't be afraid to use the resources provided

The thing is, we will be taking a cab there early in the morning, so we probably just won't have time to stop and would rather just grab something there at h2o if they offer things. Simple=better in our case with the kids and extended family.

On another note, h2o finally did answer me back (saying they thought they emailed me back, but must have forgot). I emailed them my info to officially "book" so hopefully I will hear back from them soon and I can confirm we are actually "booked" for the jet ski tour and the motor boat.

Do they email confirmation?

Good to hear they have a deli there. That should work.

The thing is, we will be taking a cab there early in the morning, so we probably just won't have time to stop and would rather just grab something there at h2o if they offer things. Simple=better in our case with the kids and extended family.

On another note, h2o finally did answer me back (saying they thought they emailed me back, but must have forgot). I emailed them my info to officially "book" so hopefully I will hear back from them soon and I can confirm we are actually "booked" for the jet ski tour and the motor boat.

Do they email confirmation?

It says on their web site that they sell water and soft drinks at H20. It also says they are walking distance from Somerset Village. There is a grocery market there. What time do you mean by early in the morning? They probably open in the morning but maybe not real early.

Edited by Charles4515

FYI, BDM is an airport in Turkey. BDA is the code for Bermuda.

Perhaps that explains some of the problems with Raj's website. ;)

Edited by njhorseman

It says on their web site that they sell water and soft drinks at H20. It also says they are walking distance from Somerset Village. There is a grocery market there. What time do you mean by early in the morning? They probably open in the morning but maybe not real early.

I'm not sure where you see this at? Even after you saying that it states that on their website, I still can't find it.

On their website, if you click on Motorboats, near the bottom there is a section titled "Ideal Location" and it states there that they sell water and soda.

We are on the upcoming 6/7 Breakaway sailing to Bermuda and have booked a boat with H20 also. I have not received a confirmation.

On their website, if you click on Motorboats, near the bottom there is a section titled "Ideal Location" and it states there that they sell water and soda.

We are on the upcoming 6/7 Breakaway sailing to Bermuda and have booked a boat with H20 also. I have not received a confirmation.

Thanks for the info. I'll look it up.

How long ago did you send them your booking request? I hope they don't take too long in returning a confirmation. I'm 1) very impatient 2) I get nervous that it hasn't been booked and someone else will take my "spot" LOL

Thanks for the info. I'll look it up.

How long ago did you send them your booking request? I hope they don't take too long in returning a confirmation. I'm 1) very impatient 2) I get nervous that it hasn't been booked and someone else will take my "spot" LOL

I emailed them the form a couple of days ago. I'm sure it will be fine, but I am going to email them again to ask for confirmation. I'll let you know if I get a response.

FYI, BDM is an airport in Turkey. BDA is the code for Bermuda.

Perhaps that explains some of the problems with Raj's website. ;)

Thanks for that correction, not sure where I got that from!

I found his site to be one of many useful resource when initially researching BDA and he was helpful with questions. Is there a problem with the site?

A follow up confirmation is a good idea. And many folks should also realize that these outfits do get very busy and don't have the resources (people) to monitor emails all day although they know that's necessary today. But for those folks who need that immediate response a phone call may cost a few $, but gives them that immediate response.

Edited by blue_water

I found his site to be one of many useful resource when initially researching BDA and he was helpful with questions. Is there a problem with the site?

I've mentioned many times that the site is not based on any recent first hand knowledge and experience, instead relying heavily on what he may read on line or what what people tell him in emails. As a result information there isn't always up to date or accurate. IMO, it's far better to rely on the recent first hand experience of Cruise Critic posters, or the sites I've cited that are maintained by Bermudians.

There are a bunch of people in third world countries who put up travel web sites about countries far away. They do that because any little bit of income they get means a lot to them. A lot of those sites are full of dated material and misinformation, they don't really care. Raj at least cares. Still when I read his site I can see many places where it is a somewhat shallow compilation of information gleaned third hand.

I have been visiting Bermuda for years, almost every year since 2000 yet every year I am hesitant in May to answer many of the questions posted when the new cruise season begins because despite its traditional reputation Bermuda changes every year. Changes are made to the transportation system, businesses from the last season have closed, new businesses have opened, prices have changed. The crime rate has changed, not for the better but it is still very low. Those returning on the first sailings of the season are those I personally am paying attention to, like those by "yahooey" even though I have been going for years to Bermuda as those are fresh report backs from the island. I also keep up with the Royal Gazette. I was in Bermuda last June but I know there will be some changes in three weeks when I am going to Bermuda again.

Edited by Charles4515

I've mentioned many times that the site is not based on any recent first hand knowledge and experience, instead relying heavily on what he may read on line or what what people tell him in emails. As a result information there isn't always up to date or accurate. IMO, it's far better to rely on the recent first hand experience of Cruise Critic posters, or the sites I've cited that are maintained by Bermudians.

I fully agree that referencing current resources is very, very important, and second-hand information should not be relied on when making decisions, especially when there for a couple short days. One CC member posts her blog on the STT forum with "information" she gathered on cruise critic. She had never visited the areas she wrote of, yet pushed her blog on newbies who would have been sorely disappointed with their misinformed decisions. Whenever I see her post it I add a warning so folks new to the forum and the island aren't misled because much of her info pulled from cc was not accurate. So just agreeing that someone new to any forum can get a lot of misinformation here if they don't do a good job researching.

Having said that, I still recommend Raj's site to first-time visitors for several reasons - the information is very well presented and there is a lot of information there. And I do see updates based on changes over the years. So this site gives a nicely-presented overview with many great details and suggestions to a first time visitor whether on a cruise or land vacation. But I can and will preface the recommendation with the caveat that any in-depth research should include other sources that are more current and provided by folks who have recently been there.

Raj's site used in conjunction with advice from experts here and on tripadvisor prepared us very well when we first cruised to BDA. Now that we stay on the island when we visit wevlook at other information of course, but still pop back here when I see someone asking about an experience that we really loved. Can't recommend renting a boat highly enough to those interested. :)

I emailed them the form a couple of days ago. I'm sure it will be fine, but I am going to email them again to ask for confirmation. I'll let you know if I get a response.

I made reservation for our upcoming cruise online. After sending email asking if Whaler was available, they replied that day stating it was and send me form to fill out. Once I filled the form out and mailed back, I did not hear from them for couple days and that was after I sent another email just to confirm. This is what he told me, " You can take either bus #7 or 8 to Somerset Village (10 minute ride) and we are a 10-minute walk away from the bus stop there - past the Post Office, along Mangrove Bay and to the Public Wharf on Mangrove Bay.

A cooler with ice is provided.

Edited by SportsFanatic