Matanuska Glacier (or Byron Glacier)??

VermeulT

This was started in another thread but I didn't want to totally hijack that thread.

I will be in Anchorage in a few months, as a port stop on the Statendam 14-day cruise. We are scheduled to dock at 7a and depart at 11pm.

I was originally planning on a road trip for the day north - basically following this route http://www.alaska.org/guide/matanuska-glacier-scenic-drive.

Heading first to Matanuska Glacier. Hike the Glacier. Then take our time on the return return with stops along the way.

But Mapleleaves mentioned Byron Glacier in that other thread. So now I'm rethinking and wondering should I plan a trip south?

I'll take any input/ advice you are willing to give.

Thanks.

Either way is awesome...

I've not done the Byron Glacier hike, but the Portage Valley area is one of my favorite places and the drive there along the Turnagain Arm is awesome.

That being said, when I think glacier hike, I think Matanuska Glacier.

Byron Glacier was suggested because the traveler just wanted to say he'd been on a glacier. With limited time there was no point in making a half day trip to Matanuska when he would be driving thru Portage Valley 2 days later.

Here's a photoblog from Byron.

http://familytravel.everything-everywhere.com/2013/08/byron-glacier-alaska-a-family-friendly-hike-between-anchorage-and-seward/

If you want a glacier trek in order to experience the crevices, blue pools, walls of ice, etc, Matanuska is so reasonably priced.(see the photos in JosieRhodes trip report) And you can combine it with a visit to Independence Mine and other points of interest.

There are guided trips on Bryon as well, but more expensive than Matanuska.

Which one to choose will depend on what kind of experience you want.

Matanuska glacier hike was an awesome experience. We drove to the glacier and went on a hike, with hard hats and crampons on boots, all provided by the guide company. I don't remember which one we used but it was super easy to find. The pictures are magnificent, so was the drive.

The drive to the Matanuska glacier is beautiful...but you are looking at an approximately 200 mile RT...the Byron Glacier is about an hour from Anchorage...a little under 60 miles....south..2 hrs, vs 4 hr drive...if that makes a difference. You can walk on the Byron without a guide....can't do that at the Matanuska...the walk to the Byron is a mile in and a mile out. Bothe rides are beautiful, one is longer than the other...one you need a guide, one you don't.....all in the eyes of the beholder....the blue ice is beautiful on both of them.

In hindsight, the drive on Glenn Highway and hiking Matanuska was one of the highlights off our trip. Going with Nova guide allowed us to rent the crampons, etc. and go further on the glacier which highly recommend if do make it out there. My kids said I did overdose on glaciers during the trip:)

Some pics start here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2073674

Karen

Byron Glacier was suggested because the traveler just wanted to say he'd been on a glacier. With limited time there was no point in making a half day trip to Matanuska when he would be driving thru Portage Valley 2 days later.

Here's a photoblog from Byron.

http://familytravel.everything-everywhere.com/2013/08/byron-glacier-alaska-a-family-friendly-hike-between-anchorage-and-seward/

LOVED the pictures MapleLeaves...I am going to schedule the four of us going to Byron Glacier next May! We will rent a car from the cruise port. Looks so beautiful and to be able to actually walk onto the glacier is exciting. It is pretty close to Portage Glacier as well, correct? We went on that excursion last year and enjoyed it as well as Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center...a must see. Thanks everyone for sharing. Any more pictures of Byron Glacier anyone?

It is just down the road a very short distance.from where you get the little boat for the glacier ride. I really like the Byron Glacier...it is not the same experience as the Matanuska with Nova....on the other hand, it is a very nice glacier, and it is free....:). And you can look for ice worms...one of the few places that they exist...and they are sorta neat....

Byron Glacier Trail is a nice hike with most going to the snowfield caused by avalanches which is just shy of 1 mile from the trailhead. Many think they are on the glacier at that point but it's actually still a ways up the trail and a bit more difficult to get to. Matanuska Glacier is a good choice and our preference with a guide.