Pre Cruise FLL, 930 Arrival, What to do with luggage?

Mass2Cruise

A group of us are going on Allure in November. Our flight arrives at 9:30 in the morning at FLL. We have not booked a hotel yet nor decided if we will rent a car or not yet. But if we did not rent a car, what are our options for luggage? Is there a place to check hotels out that allow you to drop your luggage off if you cannot do an early check in? Or is there a place to look for hotels with early check in? Thanks.

Many of the higher grade hotels will let you drop luggage off prior to checkin. Embassy Suites, Crowne Plaza, Bahia Mar, Hilton, Hyatt, Renaissance for example. What are you planning to do with a pretty much full day ahead? I always like having a car because I hate to be tied down to a place, and one round trip cab fare practically anywhere will be as much as a car rental anyway.

No real plans yet for day before. Choices of non stop flights were one of two, really early, or really late. I didn't want the late flight to have some issue causing us to miss the flight and try to get in the next morning. Plus what's the point of going in a day early if you don't get in early and enjoy an extra day of vacation right? We thought of renting a car, but would like to avoid having to have one person in the group leave the group to return it the morning of. On the other hand, we were considering it since it was a place to leave the luggage. Thanks for any help!

We thought of renting a car, but would like to avoid having to have one person in the group leave the group to return it the morning of.

I feel you are overthinking this. Personally, I think you should rent the car. Having to let one person take care of returning the rental car is really just a small blip in your day, if at all. Consider it a part of your vacation, something that just "is". Check into some of the major companies who will let you rent at the airport and drop closer to the pier, or use Alamo or National and return back to the airport and use their shuttle bus. Having a car will give you the freedom you want in this beautiful, fun city. :) I would recommend it.

Having said that, you may have to pay for parking overnight at your hotel, in which case you can return the car in the evening and just use a cab to get to Port Everglades the next morning.

From member MADflyer, in another thread:

"Alamo/National only shuttle from Airport. Must show return receipt to board shuttle...

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis from Hyatt Pier 66

Budget on 17th in shopping center next to Renaissance Hotel

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out western port exit."

If you have no car, no worries. Just stay at one of the hotels near the port which has you near the beach, restaurants, stores and areas that are very walkable. Lots of recs here.

I have never had a hotel turn down a luggage hold when you are waiting for your room. You'll be given luggage tickets and they store them. Too a lot of hotels offer to call your cell when the rooms do open. So you can head out to explore or just sit on the beach or the pool.

If you want to drive down to South beach or Hollywood for a day, the car will come in handy. But if new to Ft L, I'd probably just hang out there. There is always the Sun Trolley and water taxis to help experience the city, beach and intracoastal area. Or a cab ride to Las Olas dr. won't be more than 10$ from most hotels near the port.

Cab ride from FLL to hotels in area run about $15.

Edited by eandj

Thanks for all the feedback. We've never done one out of FLL so I'm unfamiliar with the area. If you said Bayonne, PC, or Galveston, I know those quite well. So my other question is how do you get back to the airport post cruise if you rent a car? I guess a taxi is the only option eh?

Thanks for all the feedback. We've never done one out of FLL so I'm unfamiliar with the area. If you said Bayonne, PC, or Galveston, I know those quite well. So my other question is how do you get back to the airport post cruise if you rent a car? I guess a taxi is the only option eh?

Take a taxi - cost about $15 plus tip. Quick and easy.