Reading bad reviews about Jamaica

GarnetFan8

Jamaica is a beautiful country and its people are warm and friendly. Yes, they can aggressively try to hawk items to tourists, but a polite no usually suffices. Dunn's Falls is a great experience, but I knew it was far from port and I've done it three times. Red Stripe beach excursion must have changed, cuz lunch was included, but for $30 more. It was a lovely day, as the previous posted showed. I rarely do excursions, but Falmouth is an industrial port, unlike many other Caribbean ports.

Jamaica is a beautiful country and its people are warm and friendly. Yes, they can aggressively try to hawk items to tourists, but a polite no usually suffices. Dunn's Falls is a great experience, but I knew it was far from port and I've done it three times. Red Stripe beach excursion must have changed, cuz lunch was included, but for $30 more. It was a lovely day, as the previous posted showed. I rarely do excursions, but Falmouth is an industrial port, unlike many other Caribbean ports.

We always found a polite "no thank you" was sufficient to make the sellers move to the next person. If you sound to iffy, then they think maybe you can be convinced to buy. If you are firm but courteous in your refusal they will understand, there are plenty of potential buyers, they really don't want to waste time on someone who is not at all interested. I suspect some get bothered when they try to be polite by showing some interest, this gets interpreted as genuine interest and an invitation to start haggling.

I'm reading some very bad reviews about the Falmouth Jamaica port such as run down area, only beaches are accessible through excursions, and people saying they wouldn't go back. Anybody experienced any of this and should I be concerned? I guess I should say that I don't want to spend a ton on excursions since I have 6 people (4 children) and would like to spend most of the time on the beach. But from what I'm reading, most all of the beaches are through RCCL excursions.

You wouldn't want to do this, but I walked 4 miles to Burwell Beach - mostly because some idiot at the dinner table was giving us the scare stories you're talking about. (I think he was a person of narrow outlook). His spiel sounded third-hand.

I experienced no discomfort. Every time I greeted someone I was greeted back. I thought it was above average in terms of friendliness. I didn't feel frightened, but I am a male who lives in the big city.

Twice I was offered weed. I recommend a polite "no". These were not Miami Vice types with submachine guns, strictly small-time.

There is plenty of poverty. But that is not the same thing as evil.

You should be able to find transport to a beach at a reasonable rate. There is an information booth in the Disney area that might help.

We took a private tour to Dunn's River Falls and then stopped somewhere for lunch. It's was nice doing the Falls with a small group (I think there were about 7 of us) and going at our own pace. We saw large groups, where the guides made them hold hands, which just made it more slippery and harder to climb (I would have refused, honestly, there's no requirement that you do that). It's a bit of a drive (~40 miles from Falmouth), so by the time got back, we didn't have time to walk around the port are. I did some souvenir shopping in the cruise terminal and we had to get back to the ship at that point. I don't think I'd care one way or another if I go back to Jamaica...nothing else there is particularly interesting to me.

Who did you book your tour with? I inquired with liberty and they said $40/person for the ride there and then we would have to pay the $20 entry fee to get in to dunn's River. Is that about standard?

Who did you book your tour with? I inquired with liberty and they said $40/person for the ride there and then we would have to pay the $20 entry fee to get in to dunn's River. Is that about standard?

For Dunn's River Falls, it is so far away I would do the RCI tour. And I mostly favor just gong on your own usually. But this seems so far away and we've seen she ship waiting for RCI excursions to come back because they were delayed by traffic.

They do have a falls tour that also stops at the Green Grotto caves which seems like a better value than the Dunns river with the beach, but that may be because we live close to the beach already.

That sounds a little steep for just the ride. We did a tour with "Jamaica" Phil Lafayette, and it also included a lot of history/narration and a lunch. It was also a 8-person van, not a 40+ person tour bus, which is what the cruise line will use. I honestly don't remember how much we paid, pretty sure it was around $40pp with the Dunn's Falls admission included, but that was 4 years ago.

Edited by Illyria

Jamaica has gotten bad reviews since I began visiting the Island 30 years ago. (It was probably getting bad reviews even before that). Anyway, like many posters say: It is different than U.S. If you haven't traveled much outside the U.S. you may feel uncomfortable. Suggest you check out one of the Resorts for a Day beach deals.

That sounds a little steep for just the ride. We did a tour with "Jamaica" Phil Lafayette, and it also included a lot of history/narration and a lunch. It was also a 8-person van, not a 40+ person tour bus, which is what the cruise line will use. I honestly don't remember how much we paid, pretty sure it was around $40pp with the Dunn's Falls admission included, but that was 4 years ago.

It depends on which port you arrive at. Dunns River Falls is about 15 minutes from Ocho Rios but it is about 1 hour from Falmouth and 1 1/2 hours from Montego Bay. In order to comment on the price we need to know the originating point. :)

It depends on which port you arrive at. Dunns River Falls is about 15 minutes from Ocho Rios but it is about 1 hour from Falmouth and 1 1/2 hours from Montego Bay. In order to comment on the price we need to know the originating point. :)

Pretty sure we're specifically talking about Falmouth in this thread...

Been to Falmouth once and Ocho Rios once. Not a big fan of either port but I really don't see any difference in Jamaica, Roatan, Progreso or Belize. On your own you have someone hounding you for something. Our last stop in Coxen Hole was terrible. You couldn't walk 50 yards from the gate without 6 to 8 people hawking you. After 15 cruises we have learned to research tours and book accordingly. Usually book with independent companies unless it is a long distance. Then we go with a ship tour.

Pretty sure we're specifically talking about Falmouth in this thread...

Yes, but I was just trying to point at the price is dependent on the arrival port. Falmouth is like 50-55 miles from DRF so $40 for a ride is a very good price in my opinion.

I was there a few weeks ago and never felt like I was in danger at all. I've been several places in the Caribbean and Mexico, and Jamaica didn't feel any less safe than anywhere else I've been. I think people freak out over nothing or over something they heard happened to someone. Just use common sense, be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.

I did a private tour that picked us up in Falmouth and took us to Rose Hall great house for a tour which was awesome, then to Doctor's Cave beach for a few hours which was FABULOUS, then we had lunch at Scotchies, again fabulous, then back to the pier. It was a great day & my favorite part of the cruise! Don't be afraid to venture out & have some fun! [emoji2]

PS - If you go to Doctor's Cave beach try the hummingbird drink it's awesome!!

This sounds great! May I ask who you used for the tour and how much it cost?

Why don't you contact Winston Gayle at

tourjamaicatoday@yahoo.com

We used him for a private day tour to various locations, including a gentle tubing experience. He understands how long or short of a trip it is from your cruise port, and he deals with ships coming in at all ports. He knows the entire island.

We were last there in January 2015. Jamaica is much more enjoyable when you are with a local. We never felt unsafe.

It's worth it just to email him to get specific answers to your beach and activity questions.

Good luck in your planning.

Jerie

I just returned from a cruise that included a stop in Falmouth. This was my first visit to Jamaica and while I enjoyed it for the most part, it wasn't exactly what I had expected. I can't say that I ever felt truly in danger, and no one in our party had anything bad happen to us, but there were times when we definitely felt intimidated.

First of all, we were a large party of 14. We had heard horror stories of robberies, kidnappings, and violent crimes taking place with tourists in Jamaica, but didn't know how true they were or if so, how likely such things were to happen. To be on the safe side, we felt it was best to stay together as a group and not go wandering off in different directions. Of course, it's never a good idea to go wandering off alone in an unfamiliar place, but we figured there is safety in numbers. We had not booked any excursions or tours through the cruise ship for Jamaica. Our head waiter recommended that we take a charter taxi to Doctor's Cave beach in Montego Bay, and advised that we hire a taxi from inside of the gated port, as the taxi drivers allowed inside the port area are authorized to be there, where as many of the ones stationed just outside the port run illegal taxi services (meaning they are operating without a proper license and insurance). Inside the port area is pretty much safe. You don't have to worry about aggressive vendors hassling you as they are not allowed inside the gates, as it's only for cruise passengers and people who work at the authorized stores and restaurants inside the port. We found a taxi driver who had a van big enough for our entire party. The only thing was that we had to venture slightly outside of the port gates with the taxi driver to get to the van. The second you step outside the port area, it's a completely different world. You encounter a very run down, impoverished area, with lots of police presence, and people start yelling at you as soon as they see you coming. There were a barrage of taxi drivers waiting outside the gates yelling at us as we continued to follow our hired driver. I think they were trying to get us to go with them instead for a "better rate". One lady followed us for a while trying to get me to braid my hair, even after I said no thank you, she kept following us and yelling, "Braid your hair, ma'am!" They weren't just peddling their wares, they were YELLING loudly at us, which isn't necessarily an indicator of danger, but it caught us off guard as it was not something we were accustomed to. They were aggressive, but not threatening.

The taxi was nice, though. The driver had a woman with him who pointed out the sites and explained about about the city's history as we drove. She was joking with us and taught us some of the local dialect. Both were extremely friendly people.

Doctor's Cave beach was lovely. When the van pulled up, though, a man walked up to us and offered us weed as we unloaded, but he was not nearly as aggressive as the vendors outside the port, and a simple "no thank you" sufficed and he didn't keep bothering us. Most of the vendors on the beach were the same way, where they spoke to you normally instead of yelling at you, and they left you alone if you expressed you were not interested. One even shook my hand and wished me a good day when I said no thank you. The only issue we had here is that the admission is $6.00 per person, but if you want chairs they have to be rented separately for an additional cost. Most of us were not planning on renting chairs because after having been rained out in Cozumel and Grand Cayman prior, we wanted to spend as much time swimming in the ocean as possible and didn't feel the chairs were necessary, but two of the employees were hounding us trying to get all of us to rent chairs when only three or four people out of our large group wanted a chair. They kept saying, "Are you sure you don't need a chair?," and seemed bothered that they couldn't convince all of us to rent one, but eventually brought the chairs that were requested and left us alone. But other than that, we didn't really have any issues and most of the locals we conversed with were very friendly. Even the lifeguards were nice to us after my husband gave one of them a good scare. My husband can hold his breath for a really long time, as in several minutes. He likes to test himself to see how long he can stay under water. Well, he did this at the beach, and apparently one of the life guards noticed that he had been underwater for a few minutes. The next thing I knew, the lifeguard was in the water and pulling my husband out. He was fine, of course, except for being startled. He didn't mean to scare the lifeguard or anything, and we thought he was going to be really mad about the false alarm. When we got out of the water, there were three or four lifeguards gathered around the station, and one pointed and my husband and said "Hey you, come here!" I seriously thought, "Oh crap, he probably got us all kicked off the beach (it doesn't help that we all busted out laughing when it happened)." But they started asking him questions like, what's the longest time he can hold his breath, if he has to practice to be able to do that, one even asked him if he was a trained Navy Seal. LOL Overall they were quite impressed with his abilities and weren't mad at all.

When we left the beach and went back to the port, we spent some time shopping. We didn't buy a whole lot, mainly rum, coffee, and a kitschy picture frame, but they have a decent variety of shops and it's pleasant to be able to stroll leisurely in a safe environment without being hassled. With that being said, though, I would have been really disappointed if we had confined ourselves to the port area the entire time because all there is to do in the port is eat and shop, and you don't really get to experience anything else the island has to offer. I think you will be fine if you venture outside of the port as long as you travel with at least one other person at all times and make sure no one goes wandering outside of the port area alone (inside the port you should be fine), and either book an excursion through the cruise line or hire a legitimate taxi driver to get you where you want to go.

Most of the people of Jamaica are EXTREMELY friendly. What many cruisers don't realize is that when a ship comes in, it means money to some of them, most of them, so yes, some can get a bit pushy, but that's their sales tactic. Many of them will push until a tourist purchases just to get them to go away. All you have to do is let them know you are not buying and they will leave you alone.

We've been to Jamaica on many cruises AND we've done numerous weeks there as land vacations. We LOVE it. The people are so friendly and welcoming, many times inviting you into their homes and offering you meals and Rum!

Is the island poor? Yes, very and that's where the aggressive sales tactics come into play. Some of the people are just trying to make a buck to feed their families. Be kind, engage them in conversation, maybe even look at what they are selling and bargain for something. It's what they do.

For a first time cruiser, it may be a bit shocking to see how others live, but they are happy people! Will they offer you weed....ganga....probably. Will they force you to buy it? No. I just say "No, I don't smoke" and they leave me alone.

I've purchased some beautiful (very inexpensive) hand made jewelry from some vendors on the street or on the beach. LOVE it. It makes great souvenirs and it's something that you can only find in the islands.

If you have never been to Jamaica and are looking for a port excursion, you should definitely take a tour of some sort, whether it be a ship sponsored, an independent or just a private driver for the day. Get out and away from the cruise dock area. That's where the locals know the money is and that's where the aggressive vendors flock. If you get away from the dock and out into the beautiful island, you will see a whole different world than what you read on the cruise boards about the ports of Jamaica.

KEY - Get away from the ship.

. . . All you have to do is let them know you are not buying and they will leave you alone. . . .

We have been to Jamaica as a port of call numerous times - Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, and Falmouth most recently with the new port there. We have had good experiences in Jamaica, and will get off the ship and enjoy it again - next trip is end of August with Falmouth as post of call, but the reality is that many people simply are not comfortable with and do not want to experience the vendors and others that can confront you outside the port area, especially if you are trying to do things on your own. We have gone outside the port gates on our own in all three ports over the years and you have to be willing to deal with the vendors and other characters - not all of whom quickly accept a "no thank you" and move one. In our experience, Falmouth is much better than the other two. We were last in Falmouth in August 2013 off Oasis and at that time we walked into town on our own, saw the historic Parish Church among other things and had no issues of any significance - those vendors we met accepted the "no thank you" pretty quickly. Our last time in Montego Bay, we tried to walk on our own out the gate and wound up basically fleeing into an enclosed shopping complex reasonably close to the gate (into which locals are not allowed except as employees) when we were besieged by a number of highly aggressive individuals who did not seem interested in leaving us alone without getting some money from us - which we were not going to do. Just going into and out of Dr Cave's beach you can encounter a swarm of vendors and taxi drivers yelling at you. Also, in Montego Bay, when getting back on the ship, I and other cruisers have been subjected to basic groping by the local security people who have seemed to enjoy subjecting people to detailed personal searches. I do not tell people to "stay on the ship" and we do not stay on the ship in Jamaica, but I certainly understand why some people simply do not want to walk off the ship into the towns or otherwise do things on their own, as is very easily doable in every other island we have been to in the Caribbean. If I knew someone was a first timer for Jamaica on a port of call stop, I would advise them to take a tour of some kind - either ship or private - and not plan on a "do it yourself" the first time there. I do not know that it is because of poverty or no poverty - separate issue really. Many people would not feel comfortable walking around Belize City because of a feeling of poverty but we have been twice - once just last year on a New Year's cruise - and we have felt perfectly comfortable walking around Belize City (over to the Governor's House and historic Church one time) and were not hassled by anyone in the way which simply seems to be the routine in the Jamaican ports. Again, I would encourage any cruiser to get off in the Jamaican ports and enjoy what is a beautiful island - but I also want them to understand what can be the reality of the situation. Better to be pleasantly surprised, than shocked at the unexpected.

David

Edited by SnorkelAway

We did a private tour and during the drive to Bob Marley's birthplace some guys were blocking the road. I saw our driver give the guy $2 american dollars.

When I asked the driver what that was all about he told me that you have citizens who basically take their own "toll." He added that they fill the potholes on the road and they take a fee for those who pass through their section of road. So basically it was extortion.

Well, we passed without incident and on the way back we got waved through. I never felt unsafe or anything. Our driver seemed to know that this was the way things were done and so be it.

We have decided to go with Errol and Travel Jamaica Tours for a trip to the Blue Hole and Scotchies for lunch. He gave a great price and we are looking forward to it! Thanks for your help

We worked with Errol last week on our cruise and had a great time! He's a total pro!

Take your time at Blue Hole and do the jumps you like more than once - we wish we would have spent more time there.

Edited by divot33

This "local toll" for pasage happens in Papua New Guinea as well. The local guides there happily pay the small toll. They say the guys on the road are "usually" actually doing work. After our first toll (bribe), we stopped asking questions. It was the local custom.

This "local toll" for pasage happens in Papua New Guinea as well. The local guides there happily pay the small toll. They say the guys on the road are "usually" actually doing work. After our first toll (bribe), we stopped asking questions. It was the local custom.

In Mexico it is called "Morbida", (The Bite ). We were stopped several times to have our papers checked because we had firearms and was towing a Jeep. A twenty peso bill and a pack of menthol cigarettes got us through in good standings.

One thing that I noticed was the practice of kickbacks to the guides for procuring customers at the local shops. It is very prevalent in Jamaica and Honduras.

Edited by clackey