Who here likes Baked Alaska?

APH

We also were in the PC dining room, and my daughter was dissapointed to think she might miss the Baked Alaska. On "Baked Alaska night" our waiter was good enough to bring her a slice.

My personal favorite is the souffle - any and all!

Happy sailing

Mary Jo

I love baked alaska but was disappointed with the one on Princess. I am no culinary expert, but the last time I got a baked alaska, over here, it had a sponge base with raspberry jam on it then loads of vanilla ice cream topped with a 'baked' meringue (i.e. nice and crispy on the outside yet marshmallowy and chewy on the inside - not the 'flame-gun' blasted variety ... is that what is called an italian meringue???)

Geez all this talk has made me hungry so I am going to book the restaurant that serves the above baked alaska for dinner tonight.

My favourite on Princess was the Raspberry brulee - now that was delicious.

Ken

So...with PC, there is no "parade"...right?

I have always gone traditional, and our 5/22 cruise will be PC. I think the parade is kinda funny, and you get to see all the other waitstaff that you don't normally see, but I can't say I will be grossly disappointed.

As for the dessert itself, I can't eat dairy anyhow. BUT...if I could, I seriously doubt I would be impressed by it. Ice cream with meringue on it. Big whoop. The presentation is what makes Baked Alaska an event. In that way, it's kind of like a fortune cookie. Everyone loves to get them so they can read their fortune, but no one eats the cookie. (Except ME).

Wow everyone, great response...I guess Baked Alaska is a really important topic!

Personally, some of my favourite 'showpiece' (a.k.a earn your tips) desserts are the flambes: cherries jubilee and banana flambe...mind you the souffles aren't that bad either...or the sorbets..or the ice creams...

The Baked Alaska parade all depends on your waiter and assistant: On the Golden in July, they made it quite clear that they didn't enjoy the performance and didn't make any effort to please the passengers at all. On the Dawn in 2002, there were several waiters really up for it - dancing on tables, singing along to the music, waving napkins, dancing with other passengers...at the end of the day, how you enjoy the parade depends on if your waiter does!

I think the baked Alaska parade is a good tradition for first-time cruisers. Princess, however, doesn't really do it right. The waiters don't seem to be enjoying it like the ones on RCI did.

As for the dessert itself, it's not my favorite. I usually find something better on the menu--like ordering the Loveboat Dream with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Thanks Cindersue I believe that is it (Princess dream) and Geoherb also called it the Loveboat Dream, either way if Princess would let me I would parade around the entire dining room with one if I could have a plateful every night.

By far the best dessert I have had onboard...

I hope that they haven't changed it but I will find out in 4 nights from now...it's so close I can almost taste it!!!

Mark D.

4/10/04 Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;4;10;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Crown-92; Grand-01...

I've yet to take my first Princess cruise (scheduled for next March on Coral Princess) but I do LOVE Baked Alaska, it's my very favorite dessert. I could care less about the parade though, just bring me the dessert!

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Inspiration - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess 3/05

I love it. I don't eat ice cream very often so this gives me an excuss to indulge.

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I too like Baked Alaska...but definitely like the parade more.

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived