New VB-cabins on Zuiderdam

grayjay

Some of the cabin reviews of "Zuiderdam" are not very favourable in regard to smell, non-flushing toilets, shabbiness. I do know that sometimes it is a very personal view of things . What has changed after dry-dock, was there a refurbishment?

We are considering to book one of the newly installed cabins on the 10th deck. The only thing I know is that they are located near the Crow's Nest. Has anybody seen the cabins? How large are the balconies? Noise issues?

I hope that somebody who has cruised on Zuiderdam lately may be able to help.

Thank you very much your answers.

I'm also awaiting this answer since we are booked in one next year, but I suspect it may take a while to hear from someone who has sailed in them and also participates in Cruise Critic.

Some of the past reviews for these added cabins on other ships were not very favorable. Hoping HAL improved on this round.

The proximity to Explorations is a big plus for me.

We are considering to book one of the newly installed cabins on the 10th deck. The only thing I know is that they are located near the Crow's Nest.
There have been reports that those new cabins on the Noordam have inadequate AC, but what is inadequate for one person may be fine for another.

I'm also awaiting this answer since we are booked in one next year, but I suspect it may take a while to hear from someone who has sailed in them and also participates in Cruise Critic.

Some of the past reviews for these added cabins on other ships were not very favorable. Hoping HAL improved on this round.

The proximity to Explorations is a big plus for me.

Thank you for your help.

Can you remember which of the ships you mentioned already have these added cabins? Then I might take a look at those. I'm very much interested in balcony space, for example.

The Celebrity M-class ships also have newly added cabins but these are quite well-done even if they use up space on deck 11 that was before free to use for all. :(

Noordam has had these new cabins added. There is a separate hallway you enter to get to the cabins. You do not enter the cabins directly from the hallway that goes to the Crow's Nest.

As mentioned Zuiderdam is the only other Vista that has added on these new cabins.

The Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam came with them.

The VQ cabins were added onto the Veendam and the Maasdam got the CQ and BQ cabins.

Perhaps IRLJoanie or CrewNews may have a picture or two from one of the Noordam cabins. I haven't seen any pictures of the deck 10 cabins on sites that I know of. Looks like the balconies are very narrow- appears chairs need to sit sideways.

I tried to get into those new 10xxx cabins on Z'dam last week, but they were all occupied so the steward was not happy to let me in. They certainly looked fresh and bright (even the inside ones!)

From the outside the verandahs looked a reasonable size - not juliet type but 'full size'' - though it is very hard to be certain as I could not get access to them.

I have stayed in the VB cabins on deck 10 on the Nordam. The balcony is smaller than other veranda cabins. A photo is attached.

There is AC issues with these cabins. On the cruise in the Med during August 2014 with the AC at max the daytime / evening temp was around 78f. I had to keep the curtains drawn across the vernada doors to reduce heat from the sun adding to the issue.

The cabins are very handy to the Crows Nest, which I used as a "lounge".

There was some chair moving noise from the deck above where the cabanas are located.

IMG_4149s.jpg.fdfa9ca60e2273587e27e1879cf529f9.jpg

I have stayed in the VB cabins on deck 10 on the Nordam. The balcony is smaller than other veranda cabins. A photo is attached.

There is AC issues with these cabins. On the cruise in the Med during August 2014 with the AC at max the daytime / evening temp was around 78f. I had to keep the curtains drawn across the vernada doors to reduce heat from the sun adding to the issue.

The cabins are very handy to the Crows Nest, which I used as a "lounge".

There was some chair moving noise from the deck above where the cabanas are located.

Thank you so much for your photo and help. It is what I feared - balcony space is very limited. So it's decided: I won't pay the higher price for a VB but go for a lower-grade balcony cabin with a regular balcony or try to grab one of the aft-facing ones in VB cat. if any on deck 7 or 6 become available. There are currently still some VC's on deck 8 but I hesitate to book a cabin below the pool and café.

So again help has come forward from CC members - great! :)