I lost my minors birth certificate

goberk

A little off subject but we couldn't find my husband's birth certificate. We took his DD 214 from his military discharge and they accepted it. He has since obtained a passport.

A DD214 does not prove citizenship, I am surprised they accepted it.

Sparks1093, neither does a MDID. I've crossed boarders on that alone. A DD-214 _is_ a U.S. Government issued form of identification at its widest definition applicable. A DoDS* photo ID is another one (*Department of Defense School).

Although I've not done commercial cruises, I _have_ had to go through boarder and customs land/sea. Been surprised what different ports have accepted as identification. I've presented MDID, FedGov Employee ID, and Chaplains ID. Cruise line personnel may be more stringent on what they consider appropriate.

Do wish the OP would pop in and give us a quick update. Wonder if the dog ate it...

***Not my rodeo. Not my bulls.***

We are going on a family cruise tomorrow and I have lost my 14yr old daughters birth certificate but, me and my husband is traveling with her and we have all of our required documents.

What should we do??

Does the school by chance have a copy?

Does the school by chance have a copy?

In Canada due to the Privacy of Information Act, we are no longer able to make copies of birth certificates for children attending school. They can be used as proof of age, and we can certify we have seen them, that's all. No copies are available at schools up here. Good luck to the OP.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

A DD214 does not prove citizenship, I am surprised they accepted it.

My DD-214 is in my safe deposit box, so I'm not sure - but I seem to recall it did mention citizenship -- so if it were paired with a photo ID, like a driver's license, it might be acceptable. After all, the lines want to do anything they can to let people board and spend money on board.

In Los Angeles county, if you were born here, you can go to a local county registrar office and they will print them out for the person or guardian on the spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My DD-214 is in my safe deposit box, so I'm not sure - but I seem to recall it did mention citizenship -- so if it were paired with a photo ID, like a driver's license, it might be acceptable. After all, the lines want to do anything they can to let people board and spend money on board.

I haven't looked at mine in years and it may say something about citizenship but it is not a WHTI document and while the cruise lines do want to get people onboard to spend money if they accept improper documentation that can mean hefty fines levied by CBP. Now my curiosity has been piqued so I have to dig my 214 out:).

(And for those that are wondering non-US citizens are able to join the US Navy, presumably other branches, under certain circumstances but that does not confer citizenship.)

Sparks1093, neither does a MDID. I've crossed boarders on that alone. A DD-214 _is_ a U.S. Government issued form of identification at its widest definition applicable. A DoDS* photo ID is another one (*Department of Defense School).

Although I've not done commercial cruises, I _have_ had to go through boarder and customs land/sea. Been surprised what different ports have accepted as identification. I've presented MDID, FedGov Employee ID, and Chaplains ID. Cruise line personnel may be more stringent on what they consider appropriate.

Do wish the OP would pop in and give us a quick update. Wonder if the dog ate it...

***Not my rodeo. Not my bulls.***

A DD214 isn't really a form of identification, it only says that a certain individual served in the military. I used to travel extensively with just my military ID card and even nowadays a military member may travel internationally without a passport by showing his/her ID coupled with military orders. DHS imposes a two tier test for US citizen cruise ship passengers on a cruise from and to the same port- the passenger must submit a document or documents showing their identity and their citizenship. So if someone doesn't have a passport they can show a government issued photo ID and an original or copy of their birth certificate, original naturalization certificate or original Consular Report of Birth Abroad. Other documents that proof both identity and citizenship in one document are the passport card and Enhanced Drivers license (there are also a few others).

If one chooses to cruise without a passport then one must ensure that they have the documents that are acceptable under the regulations since to have anything else invites being denied boarding.