First Alaskan Cruise of the Season Carnival Legend May 18-26th 2015

BenjiRodney

Thank you for posting. Awsome pictures and it brings back many memories. Our first Carnival cruise was on the Legend, and we've done two Alaska cruises(Princess). Looking forward to the rest!

Wonderful pics! Looking forward to seeing the rest. I think a FB friend was on this cruise (may have been the next one). It's on my bucket list, but not DW's.:eek::D

Please tell your DW to reconsider. I felt the same way when my DH said he wanted to go to Alaska, but I am so glad I changed my mind. It is one of the most beautiful places I have seen. I can't begin to describe what a wonderful trip it was!!

Thank you for posting, I have been waiting patiently for a review, first Legend Alaska, and we are doing the last cruise of next year.

I do have an MDR question, has the Legend gone over to the American Table?

and-

besides the photographer lecture on board, what other on board educational classes were offered?

and

is the lido deck quiet? or is it as obnoxious as the Caribbean cruises?

thanks-

We are looking at booking the same cruise next year.

Following this post...I too am looking at booking this exact cruise next May 2016. Love the pictures you've posted so far...can't wait to see more. And also hear some reviews about the cruise ship itself. Thanks for sharing. :)

Great review and pictures. It is bringing back the memories that I had on the Miracle back in 2013.

Also remember the disembarkation being terrible in Vancouver as well. It was the first cruise as we did the 8 night from Vancouver to Seattle and took a long time to embark. Great trip after that.

Beautiful shots! My daughter and I will be on the Legend on the June 16 sailing and I am enjoying your review so far. I think you even show our balcony in one of your earlier pictures.

Thank you for taking the time to post this - I will be following it closely. We are attempting to coordinate several schedules and take this cruise next year - I have forgotten how hard it is to make work schedules and cruise schedules sync up - all while trying to keep the cruise a secret. We want to take surprise my in-laws with this trip. These pictures will keep us motivated.

Thank you for posting, I have been waiting patiently for a review, first Legend Alaska, and we are doing the last cruise of next year.

and-

besides the photographer lecture on board, what other on board educational classes were offered?

and

thanks-

Lido deck is pretty quiet, people were sitting at tables taking in scenery

I was on the same boat as you in Sawyer Glacier. i was the guy in the wheelchair.

I agree with VAN embarkation...what a joke

Loved those fb posts Steve. So glad you had a great cruise.

Lady Jag. Enjoy your cruise. Hope to see you on board again someday!

Stephen

Edited by crewsweeper

Embarkation Day:

Worst embarkation experience in 14 cruises. May just be the process in Vancouver? Not sure. There was also a NCL ship in port due to leave. Everyone, regardless of what ship you are going on in directed down a hallway, then through the maze to to go through security, cool now we are getting somewhere. Wrong, then everyone, again, directed upstairs to wait through another maze to be cleared through US Customs. Finally, once cleared by customs, you are directed to the specific ship you are boarding. All in all the process from dropping bags, security, clearing customs and getting our S&S cards to walking on the ship, was over 1 hour. And if you think you need them, they sell binoculars in the cruise terminal. (Hint they are cheaper on the ship)

I was on the cruise also. It was the worst embarkation ever. I got to the port at 10 and was on the ship at noon. But people who got their at noon told me it was 2 hrs just to go threw customs. I'm diamond and get off the ship was best I ever had. I ship was late leaving because it took longer to load the ship. I watched the loading from the side of the ship and when they got loaded is when we left. One of the ports in Alaska they back up tanker trucks and load fuel. They did that that truck after truck and all day. I guess fuel is a lot cheaper up their.

Sail away would be delayed, don't know if it was due to the 1st cruise of the season, late debarkation? No real explanation was given. Muster drill was at 5 or shortly there after. We had early dining at it was at 545 pm. We had not yet began to move when we went down to the dining room. This would be the only night we ate in the MDR as the schedule on this cruise is intensive and the port days we ate on shore. We did eat at the steakhouse on the 2nd night which was the 1st formal night of the cruise.

They were still scanning and loading luggage over an hour after we were supposed to sail. The weather on this cruise was fantastic, almost no rain and 80 degrees in Juneau. We bought a rain coat in Juneau and never used it, short sleeve T-shirts in most ports..Dennis

and-

and

thanks-

No American table yet. Yes the naturalist gave several talks in the theater. We spent most of our time in the Serenity deck aft and it was quiet. They were tagging the clam-shells and chairs with just towels on them so several chair-hogs were not happy. Dennis

What camera do you use?

Sorry for the delay. Caught a nasty cold and been in bed for 2 days, but let's see how much more I can cover and post.

I use a Cannon Rebel T3i camera for all of these pictures. Also captured some videos and pics with a GoPro Hero3+

The crew of the excursion boat was fantastic, they would open up the 3rd level when we were not cruising for excellent views and would even take your pictures with the glaciers in the background. Free coffee and hot chocolate were served, other drinks beers and snacks were available for purchase.

They even captured ice and brought it on board for everyone to touch and hold.

IMG_1523_zpslynuqxf6.jpg

IMG_1524_zps9pjvcdzk.jpg

Edited by BenjiRodney

If you get a chance to do this excursion, you will not be disappointed, we emailed months ahead of time to secure our spot as places are limited and it always sells out. Here is a parting glace at the glacier and of the Legend's view of South Sawyer Glacier.

IMG_1545_zpslhcualnb.jpg

IMG_1579_zpsbqze7n9e.jpg

We were off the boat slightly over 3 hours exploring Tracy Arm and the 2 Glaciers. We saw a few seals floating on ice and a bear on the shoreline on the way out. I could not zoom in close enough to make it clear.

The dark sots on the ice are seals:

IMG_1441_zpslexistan.jpg