Just a beautiful beach

hnokes

We traveled on the Navigator of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) in March with the family. Now, we are doing the same itinerary with as a couple with another couple celebrating their anniversary. We did scuba diving with the sharks in March but now we are looking for just some relaxation and something not expensive.

Is there a beautiful beach we can take an easy taxi ride to?

Any help is appreciated.

From Coxen Hole where you'll dock, it's a relatively easy taxi ride over to West Bay or West End. You can google that and find lots of pictures and information out on TA as well as this board. Look for Half Moon Bay. Up at the West End you can get close to the Blue Channel which if the water is fairly calm, an easy swim out for snorkeling.

Take a look at Sandy Bay area as well. Some places there have day passes/access, but you'll need to contact each resort. Blue Bahia and Anthony's Key are 2 larger places in that area. It will be less crowded than West Bay and maybe West End, depending on # ships in port that day. I think some of the places up on the northern and southeastern end of the island are a bit far by taxi. You need to arrange for a private vendor guide or with the resort you select.

Also give some thought to a water taxi ride from Coxen Hole to West End. cheaper than a taxi and a little more scenic along the coast line.

This link will give you an idea of the taxi fares and getting around.

http://www.roatanisland.net/cruiseship.htm

crewsweeper ~ Is there now a water tax from Coxen Hole to West End? Completely different sides of the island and through some fair deep water.

I do not like the beach at Sandy Bay, course I am comparing it to West Bay which is beautiful white fluffy sand and amazing clear swim- able water. Sandy Bay sand is hard packed with the water being very shallow for some distance and the sea grass a worry when going in. There are piers out in may places but I would not recommending Sandy Bay for someone wishing beautiful beach. Anthony's Key has no beach at all.

West Bay is the premiere beach on the island, the worry here is everyone and their mother's uncle wants to experience it. There are plenty of places along the beach to rent loungers, some even have web sites and a reservations system.

Half Moon Bay is a nice enough beach bit it is along a main road through town. Sundowners will rent you chairs.

Tita's Pink Sea Horse is close to Blue Channel but one need to be a fair good swimmer do to the water taxi channel from West End to West Bay. I don't know that I would call her postage stamp bit of beach beautiful. Last time I was there a volleyball court filled most of it.

Barefeet Bar and a few others are a bit farther down, still allows one proximity to Blue Channel and all the times I have walked to West Bay it has been a very quiet bit of beach.

If you decide in West Bay, it is possible the taxi to West End would be less expensive and then the water tax to West Bay.. my only hesitation there is getting back to the ship.. I really think with as busy as the island has become you are far better off sorting round trip transport.

Edited by Guest 2000

crewsweeper ~ Is there now a water tax from Coxen Hole to West End? Completely different sides of the island and through some fair deep water.

Guest, I thought I had read on here sometime in the last year that a couple walked down to the old ferry dock in Coxen Hole and caught water taxi to West Bay. Maybe I miss read. Apologies to the OP for anything misleading.

Guest, I thought I had read on here sometime in the last year that a couple walked down to the old ferry dock in Coxen Hole and caught water taxi to West Bay. Maybe I miss read. Apologies to the OP for anything misleading.

If there is a water taxi service from Coxens Hole to West Bay Beach, it would have to go past the Keyhole (?) Residences and round the Lighthouse Point.

I've been out trolling (fishing) several times and the water there gets pretty bouncy, 12' troughs are common on a calm day. I don't think water taxis would want to navigate seas like that.

The Water Taxis I've seen start at the pier off Infinity Bay on West Bay Beach and travel to West End.

Thanks for all this information. With 12' swells (if I understood correctly) we will probably just take a regular taxi. One person stated that the island will be busy and maybe hard to get a taxi back to the port....what other round trip transportation is there we can book ahead of time?:confused:

Thanks for all this information. With 12' swells (if I understood correctly) we will probably just take a regular taxi. One person stated that the island will be busy and maybe hard to get a taxi back to the port....what other round trip transportation is there we can book ahead of time?:confused:

Taxis on Roatan are expensive, in my opinion and prices unregulated especially on cruise ship days. I think since you are a party of at least 4 you are as well to secure a private driver for the day ($25pp) from any of the companies regularly recommended on here. This gives you the flexibility to stop where you like for as long as you like and to change your mind if the weather doesn't cooperate and you find it would be better on the other side of the island.

Other venues offer return transport included with a chair and sometimes welcome drink, or there are shuttle buses also offered by the regular tour operators but I don't think the price would be much different for 4 and I like the convenience of my own transport.