Booking Early Saver and 18 months out?

easypeasy55

I'm seriously thinking about booking the Carnival Vista at the early saver rate. What are your pros and cons? Also, would you book a trip now that is 18 months away or should I wait? I would appreciate any input that you could provide me. My TA does not like to book early saver rates and is trying to steer me toward a higher rate with more flexibility when it comes to making changes.

I'm seriously thinking about booking the Carnival Vista at the early saver rate. What are your pros and cons? Also, would you book a trip now that is 18 months away or should I wait? I would appreciate any input that you could provide me. My TA does not like to book early saver rates and is trying to steer me toward a higher rate with more flexibility when it comes to making changes.

So the con is if you have to change from this booking, it will cost you $50/person.

Pro is that you should get a very good rate right now and with ES, it gives you the ability to price match up to cruise - 2 days.

I am sure your TA doesn't want you to book ES since they will have to do the processing if you find a cheaper rate plus it probably reduces their commission with an ES rate and everytime you change it for a price match. We initially used a TA but have been doing direct Carnival bookings for the past 3+ years.

We booked the Pride repo 14 months in advance with an ES rate. Only saw the rate change once and that was VERY EARLY on; nothing as the cruise got nearer. If you know you will be taking the cruise and it is a good rate, take it.

I am booked on the Vista and here what i am did/planing to do:

Early Saver does not have a refundable deposit unlike other fares. I currently booked the Vista using the past guest fare code that has a refundable deposit. I think i can still apply for price reduction between now and final payment. As final payment nears, i am going to switch to Early Saver

Your TA might not like this, but it is a doable. i booked directly with carnival so it should be an easy switch for me.

I am sure your TA doesn't want you to book ES since they will have to do the processing if you find a cheaper rate plus it probably reduces their commission with an ES rate and everytime you change it for a price match. We initially used a TA but have been doing direct Carnival bookings for the past 3+ years.

Yeah that can be the sign of a travel agent who has their best interests ahead of your best interests. They should be suggesting what rate would suit your needs as a traveler best.

My two cents here: we normally have always booked a few months out, fairly last minute. For Vista we booked very early because of two main reasons: rooms were filling up quick and we wanted to secure a special cabin, and we expected prices to go up as it is in high demand. Sure enough our category has been sold out for weeks and friends who booked more common categories have all said the prices have gone up so they're glad they booked. As for early saver normally, our entire group got price drops on our last cruise. We always know what sailing we're booking and don't need flexibility to change, so we do see great value in ES rates.

Hope this is helpful :)

Early Saver does not have a refundable deposit unlike other fares. I currently booked the Vista using the past guest fare code that has a refundable deposit. I think i can still apply for price reduction between now and final payment. As final payment nears, i am going to switch to Early Saver

Your TA might not like this, but it is a doable. i booked directly with carnival so it should be an easy switch for me.

Yes, this will work. And yes, the deposit isn't refundable; HOWEVER, it is applied to a booking you do within the next 24 months.

Doing this you are hoping that the ES price does not increase over what you are paying with a PG rate; for if it does, you either will have to pay more or not have the ES benefit after final payment.

This is all so helpful. Thank u all very much. When I looked at the best price guarantee for the ES, it says if you find a lower rate within 48 hours of booking they will honor it. Am I not reading this right?

With ES it doesn't matter. You can price match up to 2 days prior to the cruise as long as you can price match to the same rate category.

I'm doing the same thing, even though I doubt there will be any price drops.

I'm doing the same thing, even though I doubt there will be any price drops.

Just be aware that Early Saver can disappear at any time. It is capacity controlled. Also it usually disappears a few weeks before final payment it due. For example if it is a 7 day cruise Early Saver will normally disappear 5 months before the sail date (or at appoximately 150 days before sail date), but final payment isn't due until 75 days before sailing. So don't wait until final payment to change or it will be too late, like 75 days too late.