Appeal to celebrity cruiselines to reinstate bonaire

norwegianwood57

You can google "best snorkling" and you'll see that just about every list includes Bonaire as one of the world's top 10. The Southern Caribbean is the next cruise on the bucket list for DH and myself. We are specifically looking for a Bonaire stop. I'd be crushed if this were happening to us.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

It is not that simple.

Many of us booked under special 1,2,3 promos that are no longer offered.

Many of us booked early to get the cabins we wanted.

Many of us booked when prices were much better than now.

Many of us have booked hotels that cannot be cancelled.

Many of us have booked flights that carry rebooking fees.

There are few alternatives to longer cruises.

We do have the right to protest Celebrity's decisions.

Over and over again Celebrity makes changes to published itineraries and posters attack us because Celebrity has the contractual right to make them. We do not have to like their decisions and don't have to be told over and over again to leave or change cruise companies.

Posters criticizing the affected cruisers are supporting Celebrity's (and any cruise line) right to make changes to published itineraries without consequence. I think there should be consequences.

Just because they can do it doesn't make it right that they can flout their power.

There is a German word that has no English counterpart:

Schadenfreude: It is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others

It seems there are always posters who are happier when they can attack others who have no control over their misfortune.

Arno has got it right !!!

As one of those affected by dropping Bonaire (may never get the chance again)

I consider it my right to protest this arbritaly move.

There are always those who try and bully those of us who are protesting this.

Much has been made of the relatively small number of passengers that are

represented by Cruise Critic.

Most of the others probably are not even aware of these changes and have no avenue to vent their disappointment if they did.

The only thing I would like to add to Arno's post is regarding those who have

already booked their vacation time and are unable to change it.

For all the reasons mentioned, Celebrity will be confident that there will be relatively few cancellations.

Hopefully they will reconsider their tactics in the future, if the furor is widespread

enough.

I recall a similar furor when an attempt was made to substantially downgrade the offerings on the Classic Beverage Package last year. Despite the many naysayers Celebrity , to their credit,reinstated the original offerings.

Arno has got it right !!!

As one of those affected by dropping Bonaire (may never get the chance again)

I consider it my right to protest this arbritaly move.

There are always those who try and bully those of us who are protesting this.

Much has been made of the relatively small number of passengers that are

represented by Cruise Critic.

Most of the others probably are not even aware of these changes and have no avenue to vent their disappointment if they did.

The only thing I would like to add to Arno's post is regarding those who have

already booked their vacation time and are unable to change it.

For all the reasons mentioned, Celebrity will be confident that there will be relatively few cancellations.

Hopefully they will reconsider their tactics in the future, if the furor is widespread

enough.

I recall a similar furor when an attempt was made to substantially downgrade the offerings on the Classic Beverage Package last year. Despite the many naysayers Celebrity , to their credit,reinstated the original offerings.

I think your post puts across how many of us feel, probably into the hundreds and as you point out, many more will be shocked and disappointed when they find out.

If you read some of the numerous other threads on this subject, you will see that some people actually WERE asked by Celebrity about this change.

Clearly, they could not call every single person who has booked any of these cruises to get their opinions.

In order for Celebrity to make this change, it would appear that the MAJORITY of folks they asked, responded that they preferred the overnights.

There will always be people that are unhappy with a change like this, and on the other hand there will be people who applaud Celebrity for making the change.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Considering the difficulty and planning required in making such an itinerary change and the extensive "you asked we answered" advertising campaign, the obvious answer is that they called some people for the sole reason of being able to support their ad campaign slogan. It is easy to design questions and surveys to support a conclusion in advance, and to design statistics that way as well. Besides 85% of all people know that 73% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

As for all the complaints here: Those that don't like the idea would do well to complain on Celebrity's social media as well.

One of the things we look forward to while cruising is the sail-away from port and the evening activities at sea. We also love walks on deck, or sitting on our balcony at night, just staring out to sea. This just wouldn't be the same while docked at a port. We also love having coffee on the balcony in the morning while the ship pulls into port.

I also agree with others that the Caribbean offers little appeal in terms of overnight activity compared to some European cities where we've overnighted in the past such as Venice. I'd much rather be on the ship enjoying the food and entertainment we've paid for and this is just more fun while cruising and not while tied up at the dock.

Edited by Crazy Cruzer

There is much wisdom in these posts.

Celebrity, should listen.

Any journalists out there that can attract the media on this?

Let's see, RCCL/Celebrity spends thou$ands each month with the advertising dept of XYZ media World Wide. Johnny Jump-Up in the travel dept trying to get his reporter card writes a heart felt article about how the big rotten Corporation has wronged some of their passengers by changing a route 6,8,10 months even 18 in advance. Big Jim the Sr sales rep goes to get the next contract signed for over a million $$ in ad space, and kindly gets shown the door.

Travel reporters don't snip at the hand that feeds the big dog.

Just a fact of real world life. Now if someone got hurt or died, that would be news we the people would flock to read about.

Again, sad for your disappointed cruise. Hope a suitable and more happy replacement can be found.

I have been a victim of these things, it happens. I was booked on final sailing of Century, Dubai to Rome, it changed to Dubai to Singapore about 9 months out. Now THAT'S a tough change. Fortunately as a USA booker, I was able to cancel. As many people in these forums say over and over to international travelers, find a US based TA and work thru them, but then the risk of currency fluctuation takes over.

I also had a booking that I had to cancel due to a charter that took it over and none of the new options they gave me worked.

When booking I am as keenly aware itinerary changes happen inasmuch as I am aware that the price I agree to pay they can't change on me, due to contract language.

It's important that readers of these forums learn that itineraries are NEVER SET IN STONE, so NEVER BOOK A CRUISE expecting to sail the itinerary you booked, only expect to be picked up where agreed and delivered where agreed. Everything in the middle is subject to change at any time - and yes when it happens it sucks, but it should also not come as any surprise to anyone that it part of the cruise industry, and all cruise lines make changes after bookings at times.

And Yes, I'd be upset to sit in Miami for 5 days for sure, but I'd also know that that in order for me to have X guarantee not to increase my fare over time and stick to the contracted rate, I also agreed to let them modify the itinerary at anytime they choose, also part of my contract rate.

My favorite story of "lesson learned" I've read on CC is the couple who planned a destination wedding to a port that tenders. Bride and groom and wedding party sailed, the family and guests flew to the island, where the wedding was to be had mid day, and all back to ship to finish the sailing, while family vacation on land.

Seas were rough, so they couldn't tender and skipped the port. No wedding.

If a particular port is of critical importance to a traveler, best fly there to be safe.

A++ Thanks Curt...

P & O starts and finishes All of their Carribean sailings from Barbados. They sail at 98% full, week in and week out. Can't imagine the thinking there, maybe someone here can suggest why any cruise line would want to start and finish a sailing in Barbados? Why over 2000 people each week would fly into such a place? Guess Celebrity must have hired a few folks from P&O.

ps: on our next sailing we have 24 on our RC that have sold out a 2 caterman tour more than 8 months out. Our last time there was in 2000 so we hope it has not totally gone to the dogs.

Did it ever occur to you that some cruise lines might find it advantageous to totally avoid having their customers (most of who fly to the cruise on low cost charter aircraft) deal with the US Authorities. Flying into Barbados means spending only a few minutes getting through their Passport Control and then you are on your way to ship or hotel. Also, in Barbados P&O does not have to deal with the Longshoreman Union. And when their ship returns to Barbados for Debarkation the ship is quickly cleared (in minutes....not the hours it can take in the USA) and folks are quickly on their way to the airport to board their return charter flights. And since it is Barbados there are seldom any delays at the airport. And once their plane pulls away from the terminal it simply taxis out to the end of the runway and takes off. No long gate delays, taxi delays, traffic delays. My goodness, makes me want to fly to Barbados more often.

As to Barbados, we have to fly into MIA for our next cruise. Would much prefer to be in Barbados :)

Edited by Hlitner

We now dont even get off the ship in Barbados. So to be there till 12 is really ridiculous. Cant imagine the thinking there, maybe someone here can suggest why any cruise line would want to stay in Barbados till midnight?

Did it ever occur to you that some cruise lines might find it advantageous to totally avoid having their customers (most of who fly to the cruise on low cost charter aircraft) deal with the US Authorities. Flying into Barbados means spending only a few minutes getting through their Passport Control and then you are on your way to ship or hotel. Also, in Barbados P&O does not have to deal with the Longshoreman Union. And when their ship returns to Barbados for Debarkation the ship is quickly cleared (in minutes....not the hours it can take in the USA) and folks are quickly on their way to the airport to board their return charter flights. And since it is Barbados there are seldom any delays at the airport. And once their plane pulls away from the terminal it simply taxis out to the end of the runway and takes off. No long gate delays, taxi delays, traffic delays. My goodness, makes me want to fly to Barbados more often.

As to Barbados, we have to fly into MIA for our next cruise. Would much prefer to be in Barbados :)

I got it! But the person I was replying to did not. You are are a very very long time member, I would have thought you would have read back and got the reasoning behind my reply.

EW

ps: Hlitner, what area of PA are you in? We are meeting 4 from our RC in Pittsburg the end of Aug to finish planning our next cruise. Any must see and do things would be much appreciated. We have tickets to a Pirate game already, are staying where the 3 rivers meet.

Edited by wallie5446

Let's see, RCCL/Celebrity spends thou$ands each month with the advertising dept of XYZ media World Wide. Johnny Jump-Up in the travel dept trying to get his reporter card writes a heart felt article about how the big rotten Corporation has wronged some of their passengers by changing a route 6,8,10 months even 18 in advance. Big Jim the Sr sales rep goes to get the next contract signed for over a million $$ in ad space, and kindly gets shown the door.

Travel reporters don't snip at the hand that feeds the big dog.

Just a fact of real world life. Now if someone got hurt or died, that would be news we the people would flock to read about.

Again, sad for your disappointed cruise. Hope a suitable and more happy replacement can be found.

You give the impression that your large post record somehow gives you

unquestioned authority to inject your condescending quips.

Many are only finding out now and had it not been for Cruise Critic many would still be in the dark.

Many will bleat that the contract language allows the cruise line to make

changes as they see fit. You can be sure that the lawyers did not have the

wellbeing of the passengers in mind when they were drafted.

Can wait for your reaction when your "ox gets gored"

You give the impression that your large post record somehow gives you

unquestioned authority to inject your condescending quips.

Many are only finding out now and had it not been for Cruise Critic many would still be in the dark.

Many will bleat that the contract language allows the cruise line to make

changes as they see fit. You can be sure that the lawyers did not have the

wellbeing of the passengers in mind when they were drafted.

Can wait for your reaction when your "ox gets gored"

Oh my! Please go back and read the post to which I commented. Most of my 'count' has been on the roll calls for sailings we have been on. Call the media and see if you get some reporter to find it news worthy. I give no impressions, but simply try and look from a realistic view. I also don't own any cattle.

Wallie, my response to you can only be, that you are off topic.

This is a thread for those who wish to see Celebrity reinstate Bonaire for the two seasons 2016, 2017 , that they put out for booking and many of us have.

Also for those, in general that wish to see Celebrity keep to the itineraries they put out and change future ones so people have a choice. Not ram it down our throats whether we like it or not.

You dont fall into these two categories.

Perhaps you would like to start a thread of your own.

Wallie, my response to you can only be, that you are off topic.

This is a thread for those who wish to see Celebrity reinstate Bonaire for the two seasons 2016, 2017 , that they put out for booking and many of us have.

Also for those, in general that wish to see Celebrity keep to the itineraries they put out and change future ones so people have a choice. Not ram it down our throats whether we like it or not.

You dont fall into these two categories.

Perhaps you would like to start a thread of your own.

I am sorry for the direction the thread took. Not of my choosing, but I will not sit idly to the side when comments I made are taken out of context.

I will leave ya'll to try and influence the desire to attempt to influence RCCL to alter their decision. Best of luck, the Celebrity on ship product still trumps what the other lines offer. At least for what we look for on a sailing.

Best wishes, may you always have calm seas and full sun.

EW

There is much wisdom in these posts.

Celebrity, should listen.

Any journalists out there that can attract the media on this?

Yes, I do know a Journalist, not personally but from being in touch on a number of consumer issues in the past. She is the consumer advocate for a very major newspaper. I was not looking for publicity or to get my name in the paper although there were three or four occasions when that occurred. For the most part, like this, it was major companies changing the rules in the middle of the game. While they can get away with it through the fine print, I think it's important for the general public to know, not only those on C.C., that a Company like Celebrity can take Ports away after they have been paid for. I didn't know that and feel people should be aware of it. Especially when there was no safety issue involved.

There are no guarantees she will write a column to let her readers know about this but like the last half dozen times I contacted her, I felt it worth while doing so.

Don't see a reversal by Celebrity.

Individuals are now booking, expecting to have overnights.

If Celebrity changed now, those individuals would be on CC protesting that change.

Don't see a reversal by Celebrity.

Individuals are now booking, expecting to have overnights.

If Celebrity changed now, those individuals would be on CC protesting that change.

This change was just implemented (I have still to officially hear) and will not adversely affect nearly as many new folks booking as it will the thousands that are already booked.

Celebrity know, for example, through the C.C. Poll the vast majority don't want to lose an Island for an over night. Great Companies listen to their customers.

This change was just implemented (I have still to officially hear) and will not adversely affect nearly as many new folks booking as it will the thousands that are already booked.

Celebrity know, for example, through the C.C. Poll the vast majority don't want to lose an Island for an over night. Great Companies listen to their customers.

This bears repeating.

"great companies, listen to their customers"

No, the poll only establishes that a majority of those who responded to the poll are dissatisfied. That is a far cry from saying: "the vast majority don't want to lose an island for an over night."

Many posters have indicated that Celebrity did contact them asking their opinion about overnights. It's far more likely to believe that the "the vast majority said they would prefer an overnight?"

You are correct in saying that "Great Companies listen to their customers." Celebrity listened to their customers and initiated the over nights.

No, the poll only establishes that a majority of those who responded to the poll are dissatisfied. That is a far cry from saying: "the vast majority don't want to lose an island for an over night."

Many posters have indicated that Celebrity did contact them asking their opinion about overnights. It's far more likely to believe that the "the vast majority said they would prefer an overnight?"

You are correct in saying that "Great Companies listen to their customers." Celebrity listened to their customers and initiated the over nights.

Many? According to the Poll only 9 or 3% said Celebrity asked for their preference.

153 or 64% said that they would prefer to visit another Port.

My comments were related to the C.C. Poll. The margin of error on a poll this size is around 7% which clearly indicates the vast majority do in fact don't want to lose an Island for an over night.

The main reason that I booked this cruise on this date was for Bonaire. I was never notified by Celebrity about the change. Also, my travel agent wasn't aware of it. I planned tours for every place but Curacao and now I am there for two days. Also, I have no interest in going to Curacao during the night.

Many? According to the Poll only 9 or 3% said Celebrity asked for their preference.

My comments were related to the C.C. Poll. The margin of error on a poll this size is around 7% which clearly indicates the vast majority do in fact don't want to lose an Island for an over night.

The margin of error is meaningless for this poll. As has been stated many times, this is a poll of a very small segment of the cruising public. You simply cannot extrapolate from a poll of cruise critic members to the general cruising public.

The only statement you can make is that the majority of cruise critic members who choose to participate in this poll would prefer to drop the overnights. That is very different from saying the vast majority don't want to lose an island.

Interestingly you do admit that Celebrity conducted a poll prior to making these changes. That poll would be far more representative of the preferences of the cruising public since it was not confined to cruise critic members. One can only conclude Celebrity's poll indicated that the majority of the cruising public preferred the overnights.

Let's not let our passion for a position override truth, common sense and the proven science of statistical analysis.

The Cruise Critic poll is only polling Cruise Critic members, and only Cruise Critic members who choose to express an opinion not Celebrities customer base. Look at the number of views on the threads for an idea of the people who view the thread but don't comment, It would be Celebrities entire customer base plus targeted potential Clients they will be interested in asking for an opinion. It would be from this huge pool their survey was drawn.

The most generous estimates I have seen by Cruise Critic are that less than 1% of the total cruise base is a participating Cruise Critic member. Extrapolate that and you'll get a closer number of Celebrity customers who are participating Cruise Critic members.

Celebrity conducted their own poll, which included some of us Cruise Critic members, no doubt many many more than responded to the poll referenced in this thread. While I haven't seen the results of their poll given it was done by a major corporation to determine a marketing strategy I don't doubt their polls statistical accuracy.

This is not a true statistical sampling and is not one any business would use to make a business decision.

It's fine to have an opinion and I applaud your passion, but distorting the facts only serves to weaken your position.

Edited by WpgCruise

The margin of error is meaningless for this poll. As has been stated many times, this is a poll of a very small segment of the cruising public. You simply cannot extrapolate from a poll of cruise critic members to the general cruising public.

The only statement you can make is that the majority of cruise critic members who choose to participate in this poll would prefer to drop the overnights. That is very different from saying the vast majority don't want to lose an island.

Interestingly you do admit that Celebrity conducted a poll prior to making these changes. That poll would be far more representative of the preferences of the cruising public since it was not confined to cruise critic members. One can only conclude Celebrity's poll indicated that the majority of the cruising public preferred the overnights.

It's not meaningless at all. To YOU it is, but not in terms of a margin of error.

The statistics on Polls are out there on the Web. You are entitled to your opinion, mine is that one can indeed extrapolate. "You did admit that Celebrity conducted a poll prior to making these changes" Where did you find that quote?

In any case, as the person who initiated this thread stated, this is for those that wish to reinstate Bonaire. You may want to start a new thread such as "want to drop Islands for overnights".

The statistics on Polls are out there on the Web. You are entitled to your opinion, mine is that one can indeed extrapolate. "You did admit that Celebrity conducted a poll prior to making these changes" Where did you find that quote?

I got that quote from you when you said: "Many? According to the Poll only 9 or 3% said Celebrity asked for their preference." When you said that you admitted that Celebrity did poll their customers on this subject. See your post #94.

Yes, you're entitled to your opinions. However, you will find very few competent statisticians that would agree with your opinion.

In any case, as the person who initiated this thread stated, this is for those that wish to reinstate Bonaire. You may want to start a new thread such as "want to drop Islands for overnights".

That is nothing more than a blatant attempt to close off debate that does not agree with your preferences.