Solstice - New Zealand February 2016

coolchangeoz

Hi we have booked this cruise and was wondering if anyone could help with the crossing from Sydney to New Zealand across the Tasman, does the sea get very rocky, will sea sick tablets be required?

Also would love any tips from those who have previously sailed this cruise, much appreciated.

It is quite open water. And it is cyclone season in February further north but it can have impact. But it might be perfect. If you are prone to seasickness then bring the treatment.

The Tasman Sea can be a mill pond or a tempest. There is no way to predict it. The seas along New Zealand's Southwest coast are more likely to be a problem for you.

The good news is that the Solstice handles high seas brilliantly. Nevertheless, if you are prone to seasickness than tablets (or Seabands which I have witnessed work miracles) are a must.

The Tasman Sea can be a mill pond or a tempest. There is no way to predict it. The seas along New Zealand's Southwest coast are more likely to be a problem for you.

The good news is that the Solstice handles high seas brilliantly. Nevertheless, if you are prone to seasickness than tablets (or Seabands which I have witnessed work miracles) are a must.

Yes agree, unpredictable. I did it in 2014 and real smooth. Friend did it this year and it was very rough, ship was unable to get back into Sydney for 24 hours due to high seas. Highly recommend Bonine tablets.

Best to be prepared - prescription, over-the-counter, ginger or whatever you prefer. We never get seasick, but the closest we've come has been between Australia and New Zealand. Crossing from Tasmania to New Zealand in Feb/March, 2012, we had 18-20 foot seas and gale force winds. This was on the Radiance, which is a little smaller than Solstice, but not much. The worst was the reverse from Wellington back to Sydney - 25 foot seas, mostly 60 mph winds, but one 117 mph gust that made the ship list about 4 degrees until they turned into the wind. The Captain was great about keeping us informed and reassuring us that all was under control.

In addition to recommending motion sickness remedies, seas like this are one of the reasons why people recommend bringing a small roll of duct tape. What bothered us the most was the constant noise of dresser drawers and cabinet doors and closet hangers banging back & forth - until we remembered the duct tape.

Edited by Kartgv

We did this cruise this past November. The staff remarked how unusually smooth the Tasman Sea was. It does sound like it's not uncommon for it to be a bit rough.

As far as tips go, the weather in New Zealand wasn't as warm as we expected. Bring some layers in case it's chilly. :)

We spent a month on Solstice in January 2013, back to back cruises, in New Zealand and Australia. The Tasman can be rocky, very rocky, or not too bad, depending upon the conditions, which vary. I recommend you read specific reviews written about this itinerary on Cruise Critic in the actual Reviews section. I reviewed each leg of our back to back - the links to the reviews published on Cruise Critic are in my signature below.

Edited by lexmiller
spelling

Thanks all, shall be packing some seasick tabs for sure! and some warm clothes. We have done the south island which was very scenic but we flew over that trip.

Definitely sounds different to cruising European waters.

• 1 month later...
Hi we have booked this cruise and was wondering if anyone could help with the crossing from Sydney to New Zealand across the Tasman, does the sea get very rocky, will sea sick tablets be required? Also would love any tips from those who have previously sailed this cruise, much appreciated.

As detailed below on my live/blog, I have lots of ideas, tips and suggestions to share for BOTH Australia and New Zealand. Check it out. Feel free on that thread to ask any added questions, make comments, etc.

On the Tasman Sea, yes our crossing got rather rocky!! Very much so. Lots of "Rocking and Rolling" during our crossing. But, we survived and made it OK.

Options to consider?? Thinking of this ship excursion??

We did, along with other couples in our travel group from Central Ohio, the two-day, overnight Queenstown excursion. It's a choice, not cheap. There are pro's and con's to consider. As previously noted, Milford Sound is suppose to be the best of the three you will visit. BUT, the biggest roll of the dice is the weather. These fjords can be spectacular, but you can have iffy weather. Maybe great and sunny. Maybe rainy with overcast, etc. Possible a little of both as your travels that day cover a varied amount of distance/travel among the three different areas.

On my live/blog I detail much on ALL that we did on this two-day excursion. WOW!! What a great trip. Loved it ALL so much. Not just charming Queenstown, but seeing a wonderful rainforest area, the charm of the interior of NZ's South Island, a cute old gold-rush town, a winery, the bridge where bungee jumping got its start, etc. On the Queenstown side of the mountains, there are less weather challenges, etc. With our tour, we still got a nice sampling of Dunedin, its very special train station, etc.

Either one can work well. Much depends on what you most like, seek and enjoy most. Added questions? Below are a few visuals to give previews for what you can see in this excellent part of the world. Many, many more on the full live/blog.

Worth it? It was for us and the others in our group. Personal choice!! The NZ South Island is amazing and being able to sample it was very important for us to "feed" our personal interests to see and learn more about this unique part of the world.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 113,034 views for this posting.

Going into Milford Sound on the Solstice, there were great views from our balcony on the tenth floor. We did not like the overcast skies and rain, but it added to the “drama” with the huge number of waterfalls in this area. In this picture, my wife is checking out these great sights from our balcony early this morning. It was a rocky crossing of the Tasman Sea.:

QueentownExcur1stA14_zpsd236d1b9.jpg

Our first stop after getting off of the Solstice and boarding our bus was a major rainforest areas in the Fiordlands National Park. Amazing site and stop!! Yes, there was some rain that morning. But, here are some facts to consider. In the Milford Sound area, they get an average of 23 feet (that's right FEET) of rain each year. At times, it might go as high as 46' yearly. That means most ever day gets some rain as the churning Tasman sea air loaded with moisture hits these South Island mountains. By sharp contrast, just 25 miles away (across the mountains), Queenstown averages only 30 inches of rain annually. Big difference!!:

QueentownExcur1stA8_zps3e22c428.jpg

Here is a view of the main street in Arrowtown with lots of character and charm. Plus, many shops! High-quality ones!! Just the kind that my wife and others love. There were historic places for beers, cheese, etc., too! Not just clothing and jade/jewelry.:

QueentownExcurA43_zps2d91792c.jpg

Here is one of my visuals in connection with this steamship sailing leading to the dinner at the sheep station at the other end of this scenic lake near Queenstown during the two-day Solstice excursion. You will see lots of scenic mountains and areas during this sailing that is a key part of this evening fun. And, there was food!!:

QueentownExcurA24_zps2a4c81d5.jpg

Here is one my pictures from the Kawarau Suspension Bridge and its dramatic gorge nearby to Queenstown. It's a classy bridge design in a setting that is world-class. This bridge is narrow, being built way before cars and trucks had been invented and built.:

QueentownExcurA17_zpsa21bfc30.jpg

Among the highlights in Dunedin was their rail station with its many special design touches. As our guide, John, explained, Dunedin was very rich at the time from its gold and other resources. Why did they make it so fancy? Because they could!! You can see some of the fancy tile work, a stained-glass window, etc., there. They do not build things like this these days. In this below picture, you can see our skilled guide John with some of the folks from our Central Ohio travel group outside in front of this landmark building.:

QueentownExcurA3_zpsd99d641b.jpg

Hi, we are also booked on this cruise. There is a large and fairly active Roll-Call for this sailing.

A lot of info being shared & some independent tours being planned-come join the Roll Call.

We've crossed the Tasman twice: Once like glass and once moderately rocky (around 5-6 meters--15-18 foot swells) but historically the Tasman is considered one of the most active areas in the world, so be wise and be fully prepared. If your cabin isn't low and mid, get yourself low and mid if it starts to heat up.

We did it in March 2012 and the crossing was like a mill pond. However, we've also crossed the Atlantic a couple of times with hardly a bump, so I wouldn't bank on not getting a bit of a ride.

The good news is that even if the NZ to Oz leg had been rough, it would have been worth it. It's an excellent itinerary and we'd book it again in a heartbeat.

You'll thorough enjoy it and I hope you've also booked a couple of days in Auckland before flying home. It's a super place to visit.

I have spent the entire afternoon reading the outstanding storybook written by Terry from Ohio. I almost don't have to go on this trip next January. (I said ALMOST) His pictures and verse are amazing and makes you feel like you are there. Thank you Terry.

I have spent the entire afternoon reading the outstanding storybook written by Terry from Ohio. I almost don't have to go on this trip next January. (I said ALMOST) His pictures and verse are amazing and makes you feel like you are there. Thank you Terry.

Appreciate your kind viewpoint on my pictures and reporting. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

BUT, do go and visit down under. My visuals do not do full justice or close for the many wonders to be seen and experienced there. Let me know on the full blog for any questions and/or added info needs.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 202,210 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We did this trip 3 years ago and would happily do it again - yes it can be rocky but it is worth it.

In Akarao see if Robin the mail man is still doing the mail run tour I would highly recommend it (Just google Akaroa Mail run) - book early as it sells out. We went to some amazing places off the beaten track and make sure when you are in Dunedin you go on a tour that includes seeing the penguins.

What ever you do I am sure you will enjoy it :)

Only sailed it once (February, 2003) and the crossing was pretty brutal. We had to go faster than usual, as apparently a passenger on board took ill halfway across, and I think that made it worse. We got to Hobart at around 10pm, and I swear, everyone on the ship got off just to feel solid ground. The bars by the pier were pretty seedy, but we didn't care! Hung out for a few hours before reboarding.

But overall it was an absolutely fantastic cruise, so worth it :)

Thank you everyone for your replies they are all so helpful :) Very much appreciate shall definitely pack the seasick meds.

Thanks Terry for your report and photos they are wonderful.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on this cruise, counting the days, hours minutes!!