Getting to a Beach w/o Taxi

conandrob240

Kind of shocked at taxi pricing with the pp rates, taxi to a beach for 8 is outrageous. Any decent beach we can walk to or take a public bus or water taxi to?

We're on Disney Fantasy next month.

You dock at Havensight. There are no beaches that are within a reasonable walking distance. There is a bus system that will get you to some beaches, though you will have to rely on someone else for details.

You might want to consider going to town and making this a shopping day instead of a beach day. It is a little over a mile walk to town.

Try calling the taxi companies to see what kind of arrangements they will make for a group that size. I am betting you could arrange for a beach run & pick up cheaper than the $150 or so in the published rates. Here is a list.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/st/sttaxi.shtml#.VXSMizqlHIU

The safari & public buses are not terribly consistent with schedules. A problem for getting back to the ship in a timely manor. You could do that going to the beach, but have an alternative or getting back. It's an experience traveling with the locals. Just watch the time.

Avoid going to Magen's Bay. There is a charge to get in. There will be many taxis/ vans waiting for you when you get off & on't be afraid to negotiate if you haven't pre arranged something.

Frenchman's reef is closest to Havensight When I lived there we would walk to the hotel go through the hotel to get to the beach. Don't know if you can do that now & the walk is not an easy one in hot weather. Bolongo & Bluebeards are the next closest. Sapphire is my favorite.

Edited by HarpHarp

I am Getting published rates from any taxi companies I reach out to. $10pp each way not even a lower price for kids. Any suggestions most appreciated.

The Safari buses are quite cheap & stop somewhere in the havensight mall area. Here is a description of the service. It's important to know that the bus runs a sort of circular route on the east end, so give yourself PLENTY of time to return to the ship. How long is your port stop?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147404-s303/St-Thomas:Caribbean:Public.Transportation.html

I don't want to get flamed, but you can take the local bus/$2 bus and get to some beaches. This system is really meant for locals who can probably afford those taxi fares even less than you or I. The stop closest to Havensight outbound is in front of the hospital--walk straight out of the port. When you see the K-Mart, take a right and walk in front of it, then take a left. There is a bus shelter in front of the hospital A regular bus or a $2 bus (safari taxi) will stop. If it is a safari, verify that it is a $2 bus--if it is it will usually be full of locals. In fact, you may have to split up if the bus is too full. The bus will go inland then around the eastern end of the island in a clockwise direction passing near Coki and Sapphire beaches--ask to be let off where you want to go. You will have to walk from the main road to the beach but it's not far To return, wait on the same side of the road you got off and be sure to ask if it is a $2 bus. Apparently some will try to charge tourists the going taxi rate instead of $2/ride. Going back the stop is closer to the pier.

Apparently some road construction might disrupt the route but not sure where that is. Also, I have not done this recently but apparently it still works--you can read more in the thread about taking the bus to the beach. Return to the ship early to allow plenty of time for the return trip. Good luck.

Edited by mcmarya

HarHarp, I am confused. On this thread peoe are saying no beaches walking from Havensight. On another thread, Morningstar beach is reported as walking distance. Please advise

It's really not that far, about 2.5 k to the hotel, but it is not an easy or good walk. and then the access is to the beach, which is very much down hill about I'd say another 1.5 K. The walk back would not be fun. We would make the walk often when I lived there, but would stop for some liquid refreshment with Bacardi preservative. Also we would eat at the hotel & then proceed to the beach. It is also not a very great beach.

The article on the Safari bus is old, but the route & the prices haven't changed since I moved there 35 years ago. They may still be running some of the same buses:D It really is easy to take the safari buses, but they can be quite crowded & you may have to wait. Just ask to make sure you are going in the right direction. I'd take the bus to the beach & plan on taking an early bus back. If you get one too early, just take it downtown & have a nice stroll back to the ship along the water or do some shopping. How many ships are in the day you will be there? If there are several and getting a bus is difficult when it's time to leave, call for a taxi to take you back to the ship. At least you will save about half the money.

Edited by HarpHarp

For some, MorningStar Beach is in running distance. :D I advise taking a cab if you can.

Do you know, can you still cut through the hotel? google maps days about 2.4 to the hotel, but even that is not an easy walk in warm weather. The beach isn't the greatest anyhow.

There is construction on the road to Coki, so it's now a very long walk to the beach through a neighborhood. Also there's road construction on the safari route, so route has changed.

You never know when the route is going to change, usually temporary, so it can be very unpredictable.

• 3 weeks later...

You could look into taking the water taxi to the Marriott, and then it is an easy walk to Morningstar. Not sure if it available to non Marriott guests but if it is , it might work for the OP

The last time I went to Morningstar beach at the Marriott it was full of rocks and not a very nice beach. I recently went to Coki beach which is the best one in my opinion. Even with the cost of taxis it will still be cheaper than a ship excursion.

conand rob I agree with you that a beach is almost a requirement as STT offers some of the nicest in the Carib with great snorkeling on the East End beaches. The taxi is the only real option for 8 ppl unfortunately. You will have a difficult time getting 8 seats on the $2 "bus", I wouldn't be surprised if you were passed up by a few that are too full. You also have to walk to the stop, and the only nice beach that you can walk to is Sapphire (worth it though!). But you would probably waste much precious time going that route.

As a couple or 2 couples we would rent a car, but with 8 ppl unless you can get a van just take the taxi.

The fare to Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is slightly less than to the East End beaches so you may want to consider that option. Still a very nice beach with a couple of eating/renting choices in the Best Western and Island Beachcomber. No snorkeling to speak of but a nice day!

Note -

If you talking a family with 6 kids then yes an expensive day at $160 but still the way to go and you have to budget these expenses in your vacation.

If you are talking 4 couples then not expensive at all at $40/couple roundtrip!

The article on the Safari bus is old, but the route & the prices haven't changed since I moved there 35 years ago. They may still be running some of the same buses:D It really is easy to take the safari buses, but they can be quite crowded & you may have to wait. Just ask to make sure you are going in the right direction. I'd take the bus to the beach & plan on taking an early bus back. If you get one too early, just take it downtown & have a nice stroll back to the ship along the water or do some shopping. How many ships are in the day you will be there? If there are several and getting a bus is difficult when it's time to leave, call for a taxi to take you back to the ship. At least you will save about half the money.

The route has changed - it doesn't go by the high school anymore, and not all drivers adhere to the route every trip. They do what they want, because they are self-employed and not government run.

Are you paying for all 8 people? Are they separate families? Are they all children?

You get my point I think.... Just take a taxi and have each family unit pay their own way

If you are the deep pocket on this trip and are covering the entire group well then this is just part of the deal

My kids are 14 to 25 and each if them always kicks in some thing for our bigger trips. Sometimes airfare sometimes a pre determined amount

$300...$500....$700. Depending on circumstances

Yep they all work... Several jobs each...doesn't interfere with their education or social life either. Lol

And yes I pay their tuitions etc.... No need for flames

They love to travel but realize how expensive it is for a family of 6 so they gladly kick in

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Luvtheships everyone obviously has a different situation, conandrob understandably would like to know if there is a less expensive alternative for a family of 8 (as noted) to get to a beach. And the only real option is the $2 bus, if cost is a critical factor then that is an option. Due to the buses being busy you may need to split into 2 groups of 4 (1 parent or adult with each group) but it may work for you. But if there are 8 kids and some are younger then that's not an ideal scenario.

The best recommendation is to take the regular taxi of course. And depending on your cruise itinerary the beaches of STT may be some of the nicest you will experience and so worth the expense.

Edited by blue_water

Is this a family of 2 parents and 6 children?

If so then by all means take a taxi and just pay the cost

Is this a group of 8 adults?

If so then each adult pays their own way

Is this a group where the grandparents are footing the bill for their adult children and grandkids?

If so then maybe this is a great opportunity for the adult kids to say they want to cover this cost for the group as a thank you

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around why 1 person is concerned about the cost for 8 people..... Maybe if we knew the demographic of this group it would be easier to understand

It is expensive for 8 people to travel so I am all for splitting certain costs..... Especially as a thank you when the grandparents are paying the major expenses

Sent from my iPad using Forums