OBC vs Shore Excursion Credit

supatraveler

Hi All,

As our cruise nears, I've been looking over the paperwork from our TA and it looks like for 2 people we have $100 OBC and $200 Shore Excursion Credit.

Based on what I've read here, once you get onboard, all of that is actually just OBC and doesn't have to be used for Shore Excursions. When I asked one of the online HAL Chat people, they confirmed that information for me. However, I've never been on a HAL ship, and I know that at times what what customer service rep says, might be different than what is true on board.

What is your experience with this? In reality, is this just $300 of OBC that can be used for drinks, tips, Shore Excursions, etc?

Thanks!

Hi All,

As our cruise nears, I've been looking over the paperwork from our TA and it looks like for 2 people we have $100 OBC and $200 Shore Excursion Credit.

Based on what I've read here, once you get onboard, all of that is actually just OBC and doesn't have to be used for Shore Excursions. When I asked one of the online HAL Chat people, they confirmed that information for me. However, I've never been on a HAL ship, and I know that at times what what customer service rep says, might be different than what is true on board.

What is your experience with this? In reality, is this just $300 of OBC that can be used for drinks, tips, Shore Excursions, etc?

I assume you received the excursion OBC as part of the Anniversary Sale promotion (currently running). If so, there have been different reports on how these OBCs will be handled. My HAL PCC (Personal Cruise Consultant) told me that HAL wanted to restrict the OBC to just excursions (and that is how it is advertised by the way), they soon figured out that it would be very difficult to monitor this onboard, so they are letting us use it anyway we want to.

To be fair, other people have been told the opposite, that they MUST use it for excursions.

Personally, I am going to use some of it for excursions (must book onboard) and save the rest for other onboard items.

Hopefully, we will soon be reading some actual experiences with this from returning passengers.

Thanks for the response!

I'm not sure if it matters, but I don't think my OBC was through the Anniversary Sale, as it was part of a package my TA put together. Though, it very well could have been via the Anniversary Sale, and I just don't know.

Either way, I guess well have to wait and see what happens on board or hear back from others.

Thanks!

Thanks for the response!

I'm not sure if it matters, but I don't think my OBC was through the Anniversary Sale, as it was part of a package my TA put together. Though, it very well could have been via the Anniversary Sale, and I just don't know.

Either way, I guess well have to wait and see what happens on board or hear back from others.

Thanks!

If you go to HAL's website and look under Anniversary Sale, you can see if your cruise is on the list (I bet it is). That way you will know how to proceed.

Thanks for the response!

Thanks!

If your obc was from your TA, then it can be used for anything onboard. No worries about the anniversary sale.

I think Dave is right as far as the Anniversary sale goes, but I was one of the ones told that it had to be used for shore excursions. I couldn't fathom how they would keep track.

I think HAL figured out on-board activities, for the most part, are less costly to provide than shore excursions. Consequently HAL would prefer you use your OBC for on board activities and removed the restriction.

Just a theory on my part.

I think HAL figured out on-board activities, for the most part, are less costly to provide than shore excursions. Consequently HAL would prefer you use your OBC for on board activities and removed the restriction.

A valid point, but I think that the reason was that HAL's billing system onboard was not able to properly handle it. As it is, you start off with your OBC as the first item on your bill and then the expenses are added as they occur.

A valid point, but I think that the reason was that HAL's billing system onboard was not able to properly handle it. As it is, you start off with your OBC as the first item on your bill and then the expenses are added as they occur.

If either of our theories is correct, you have to wonder why HAL released it as a shore excursion credit only. It doesn't make sense.

$200 in bar charges costs HAL LOTS less that paying a vendor for a $200 excursion. I fully agree with you.

If either of our theories is correct, you have to wonder why HAL released it as a shore excursion credit only. It doesn't make sense.

Very often the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing! To Marketing this sounds like a great idea, but to Ship Operations, they cannot handle it properly.

I asked HAL this question. this is the response below, also on my booking it just shows as onboard credit

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line concerning your upcoming cruise on the ms Zuiderdam departing on April 8th, 2016. We are delighted to welcome one of our valued Mariners back on board!

The Onboard Credit on your Booking Number is titled as a Shore Excursion Credit which is intended to aid in discounting any excursion you may wish to purchase once onboard. If you choose to book your excursions in advance, all onboard credits on your reservation will simply be deducted from the balance of your Onboard Bill received at the end of the cruise.

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance, or if we have misunderstood your inquiry. Our valued guests' comments or suggestions are always welcome and very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you on board in the near future. We are confident our Signature of Excellence will surpass your expectations.

Thank you for your continued patronage!

Kind Regards,

Brad

Holland America Line

U.S. and Canada: 877-724-5425

International: 206-286-3900

Mon-Fri 5am-7pm PST

Sat-Sun 6am-5pm PST

Very often the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing! To Marketing this sounds like a great idea, but to Ship Operations, they cannot handle it properly.

I guess I mistakenly assumed HAL was a well run operation.

I guess I mistakenly assumed HAL was a well run operation.

A constant complaint on these boards is that policies vary by ship. What one ship will do for you, another will not. This is my main complaint about HAL, not being consistent. But they still do offer a good value, IMO, and have great crews and staff.

A constant complaint on these boards is that policies vary by ship. What one ship will do for you, another will not. This is my main complaint about HAL, not being consistent. But they still do offer a good value, IMO, and have great crews and staff.

I agree. I am partial to HAL. I just like to jerk their chain once in a while.

I'm positive this is the reason. Hals systems don't seem very sophisticated.

I'm so happy someone asked this question. I've got 2 cruises booked through the anniversary sale. Both just show $100 OBC.

I'd rather be able to use it on board for drinks, etc. I don't want to feel limited to only booking excursions through HAL since they don't offer what we want for at least one island. Also, we really booked these two for the ships and HMC, wanting that great relaxation to celebrate our birthdays.

But, if we do have to use the credit for excursions, do we really have to wait til onboard to book them (and risk what we want being sold out)?

I asked HAL this question. this is the response below, also on my booking it just shows as onboard credit

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line concerning your upcoming cruise on the ms Zuiderdam departing on April 8th, 2016. We are delighted to welcome one of our valued Mariners back on board!

The Onboard Credit on your Booking Number is titled as a Shore Excursion Credit which is intended to aid in discounting any excursion you may wish to purchase once onboard. If you choose to book your excursions in advance, all onboard credits on your reservation will simply be deducted from the balance of your Onboard Bill received at the end of the cruise.

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance, or if we have misunderstood your inquiry. Our valued guests' comments or suggestions are always welcome and very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you on board in the near future. We are confident our Signature of Excellence will surpass your expectations.

Thank you for your continued patronage!

Kind Regards,

Brad

Holland America Line

U.S. and Canada: 877-724-5425

International: 206-286-3900

Mon-Fri 5am-7pm PST

Sat-Sun 6am-5pm PST

Or is this saying we can go ahead and book in advance, and it'll just total out in the end?

I'm so happy someone asked this question. I've got 2 cruises booked through the anniversary sale. Both just show $100 OBC.

I'd rather be able to use it on board for drinks, etc. I don't want to feel limited to only booking excursions through HAL since they don't offer what we want for at least one island. Also, we really booked these two for the ships and HMC, wanting that great relaxation to celebrate our birthdays.

But, if we do have to use the credit for excursions, do we really have to wait til onboard to book them (and risk what we want being sold out)?

Or is this saying we can go ahead and book in advance, and it'll just total out in the end?

The terms and conditions on HAL's website say you must purchase the excursions on board. I have a few choices but don't have my heart set on any particular tour, so I'll wait. At the price of HAL's tours, $100 (or $200 for a suite) doesn't go far. If there's a tour you really don't want to miss, I suggest booking that one in advance. Save booking anything you could live without for when you get on board.