WOW!!! What a difference! Trip Report - Oasis of the Seas 6/6

My son is questioning me. Wipeout cafe is made to order omelettes? We were just on the allure and and he said they were premade and not so great.

Enjoying your review!

Our Wipeout Cafe omelets on Allure were made to order, although that was a year ago.

My son is questioning me. Wipeout cafe is made to order omelettes? We were just on the allure and and he said they were premade and not so great.

Enjoying your review!

Yes wipeout cafe has made to order omelets and eggs. You tell the worker what toppings you want in the omelet and the provide you a number. A server brings the item to your table once it is ready. I thought they were amazing. We all enjoyed them. I never had the made to order eggs but I would assume they are equally as good.

All the seats in the Aqua Theater are good. If you sit in the first three rows on the benches you will get wet.

All of the seats in the aqua theater are good. However beware of soot on the seats and benches. In order to make sure we had better odds of having a clean seat we only sat in chairs towards the top of the theater. Up top there are some chairs that are covered by an overhang. The bad part about these chairs is that it is hard to see the higest high dive.

What a great Saturday morning read as I drink my coffee! I'm trying to decide between Oasis, Allure and NCL's new ships Getaway and Escape for next summer. It will be just my 15yo son and I (mom). We just got back from 10 glorious days on St John so a cruise will have to be AWESOME to top that. Do you think there are enough activities for an active mom and her son to do together? I'm sure he'll meet up with other teens and leave me to myself though.....which is fine also:cool:

I think you will both find plenty of activities to do both together and alone.

Thanks for sharing! I have finally booked the Oasis for August after years of wanting to try her out. I love big ships but I am seriously nervous of not feeling like I'm on a cruise. I LIKE to see the water around me....boardwalk, Central Park? Not so sure. Also seems like I'll have to have a list to keep track of what I can eat where...used to fresh omelettes at the buffet, that kind of thing. And I'm still confused about having to book "free" dining. Like you, I HATE lines. Fortunately all my shows are booked. Just curious were the seats for the Aqua show equally good or do you need to arrive early?

I think wanting to see the ocean is valid. In my opinion you don't see the ocean much in public spaces on this ship other than the pool decks and Boardwalk. The best place to see the ocean on this class of ship in my opinion is your cabin. I personally would never book a Central Park or interior room. With a boardwalk room you could still see some ocean depending on where your room is.

As for what food is included and not they are very good about putting those details in the compass. One of the things I like about this class of ship is that if you really wanted to you could eat somewhere different everyday during the cruise. There are still places that we have not been to and we have now sailed this class of ship twice.

You don't need to book dining in the main dining room but I would highly recommend it. You can always change the reservation if it doesn't work with your plans.

Today our port of call was Cozumel. Again we woke up to bad weather. In fact the Captain said at the Captain’s Corner presentation that we attended the next day that the wind was 70mph as we were coming into Cozumel. This morning we chose to have breakfast at the Solarium Bistro. At the Solarium Bistro they have a nice selection of items and it is not very busy at this dining location. The items I had were ok but not as good as the items at Wipeout Café. The most important thing though is that all of the items I had were warm and fresh…last year while we were on the Allure of the Seas whenever we ate at a buffet style restaurant I never thought the food was warm enough.

After breakfast we went back to our cabins and got ready for the day. Originally I had booked a day long sailing trip with Cozumel Sailing…I had sailed with them before and we had a great time. However, due to the weather we decided not to go. There is no way that I wanted to be trapped on a catamaran with cloudy weather and choppy seas. We decided instead that we would get off the ship and see what we could find to do. I was really disappointed in this decision because I was really looking forward to the sailing trip.

We ended up getting off the ship around 11am and found someone right outside the port area that was offering glass bottom boat tours and snorkeling. I decided this could be a good activity for the group. Shortly after we paid we got on the small boat and went to two snorkeling spots. The other family that joined us on the boat got in the water and snorkeled…we on the other hand just looked through the glass bottom. We stayed at each spot for maybe 30 minutes. The guide fed the fish under the glass bottom so we could see some fish close up.

ry%3D400

On the way to the second spot one of the guides on the boat managed to find a wet shirt and a bottom for my sister and she decided to jump in the water and snorkel with the rest of the group.

ry%3D400

I had no interest in getting in the water so again I just looked through the glass bottom.

We were done with this trip around 2pm. At this point in time my partner and I made our way back to the ship while my mom and sister did a little bit of shopping.

When my partner and I got on the ship we went straight to the Windjammer for lunch. Before we got on Oasis we said we were never going to eat in the Windjammer because we thought the food was very bad here on Allure. However, I was shocked when I started eating the items that I selected because they were actually good, and hot. We both said that the food in the Windjammer was much better than what we experienced last year on Allure. I had the shepherd’s pie…it was very good!

After we ate lunch we made our way back to the solarium and relaxed for the rest of the afternoon.

After a relaxing afternoon we got ready for dinner and did a little bit of exploring. I wanted to find the library and card room.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Both of these locations were actually very close to our cabin so they were easy to find. There were not many people in either of these locations so if you are looking for a quiet spot this could be a good option. In my opinion I think the cruise staff is missing an opportunity in the card room. To me the card room looked like a great place to host trivia games. The teams could get around the tables and it could be a more organized game. The only down side I see is that it might get crowded and Royal Caribbean can’t sell drinks here because a bar is not close by.

Dinner tonight was at Izumi Hibachi.

ry%3D400

I was kind of on the fence about eating here because the prices are the same as what you would pay to eat hibachi at a land based location. However, the food and show were amazing. Out of the four specialty restaurants we ate at during the cruise this one was our favorite! If you want to eat here I suggest you book this as soon as you get on board. They only have three tables that hold eight people each so there is not a lot of availability. The restaurant actually called the morning of our reservation to confirm that we would be there so they must have a waiting list.

ry%3D400

The menu has a wide variety of items from sushi, one meat teppanyaki meals, and two meat teppanyaki meals. They also have a great cocktail menu with drinks only available at Izumi and a variety of sake. My mom and sister chose the one meat meal with shrimp. My partner and I chose the two meat meals…with the two meat meals you can select any two meats as long as the protein is listed on the menu. My partner selected the chicken and shrimp, I had lobster and filet. Everything about the meal was amazing, the shrimp were huge, chicken and steak were tender, and the lobster was very flavorful. In my opinion if you enjoy hibachi restaurants this is a must do!

After dinner we were all stuffed so we made our way back to the cabin to rest for a few minutes before it was time for The Quest. The Quest was very entertaining and we enjoyed the show. After the show was over we made our way to bed.

Our next day would be the last day of this great cruise.

Edited by Klstaack

Today was our final day of the cruise and it was a day at sea. We woke up to SUN! We really only had two good days of clear skies and sun while on this cruise so it was a welcome site. We started our day with breakfast at Johnny Rockets since this location is free for breakfast. The breakfast here was good…I had the pancakes. However, in my opinion the best breakfast on the ship is Wipeout Café.

After breakfast we went to the Central Park tour. The tour was very informative and the officer in charge of the Central Park is very dedicated to what he does. He was very long winded and full of interesting information. After the tour I went and attempted the FlowRider a few times…I say attempted because I really am not very good…but I still love it. Next time I think I will pre-book a lesson for day one.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

After the FlowRider it was time for the Captains Corner presentation…again very informative but it was held in the Comedy Club. Last year the Captains Corner was held in the Aqua Theater…the turnout last year was a lot larger…I think that probably is due to the location. After the Captains Corner it was time for the belly flop contest. On our way to the belly flop contest we stopped at the hot dog stand and grabbed some lunch. I don’t really have much to say about the hot dog…it was good for a hot dog. I do however wish they had chips available as a side instead of just coleslaw.

After a morning full of activities we relaxed in the solarium for a while and then got ready for the night. Tonight we had reservations for Frozen in Time, the ice show. My partner and I went and saw the ice show. We both enjoyed it. I think my favorite part isn’t really the ice skating but the sand art portion.

ry%3D400

After the show my mom and sister joined us in the Champagne Bar and we enjoyed some great martinis. The bartender, Charlene, in the champagne bar is amazing. In my opinion she is one of the best bartenders on the ship!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I was bored with the options on the menu so I just told her to make me whatever she felt like. She was able to mix up some AMAZING drinks…my favorite was a key lime martini. We stayed in the Champagne Bar for a few hours…after our time there I provided Charlene with both of our WOW cards and gave her a $30 tip.

After our time in the Champagne Bar we went and grabbed dinner at the Windjammer. I did not want to experience the main dining room again after the horrible service on lobster night. Again I found the food in the Windjammer to be much better than what we experience while we were on the Allure of the Seas.

After dinner we went to the Opal Theater and enjoyed the final show, a family comedy show. The parts that I saw were ok. Clearly I was tired from a week full of WOW moments or maybe I had too many martinis from Charlene…I fell asleep for most of the show and my sister was nice enough to capture the moment.

ry%3D400

After the show we headed to bed.

We had chosen express walk off so the next morning we woke up, packed our bags, and on our way back to Orlando before 7am. We had a great time while on Oasis of the Seas and I was sad to see the cruise come to an end. I cannot wait for Oasis of the Seas to move up to Port Canaveral. I’m sure she will become our ship of choice for future cruises to the Caribbean. Last year while on Allure of the Seas I was more than excited to get off the ship and though that a Royal Caribbean cruise would probably not happen again.

So what is next…our next cruise will be in January 2016 on the Disney Dream and we currently have a deposit on Anthem of the Seas for a New England/Canada cruise in 2016…maybe we will also throw in a last minute booking in 2016 if I can get a good Florida Resident rate. So be on the lookout for more reviews if you enjoyed following along and learning about our experience while on Oasis of the Seas.

Thank you for following along on this review…it took way more time than I anticipated it taking but I really enjoyed reliving the vacation and writing the review. Again it was my first review and I wanted to provide readers an insight on my experience and how it differed from our time on Allure of the Seas. I will be writing one more post regarding my thoughts on items not mentioned in any of the daily recaps.

Edited by Klstaack

I'll be sailing on Oasis in August, can't wait....

One question: is it easy to find free chairs and towels , on swimming pool areas?

Any tip?

Thanks a lot!

Towels are given out for free on the pool deck. Get to the pool deck early to get a lounge chair.

Thanks clarea. Isn't there any rule stating that people shouldn't keep the lounge chairs "reserved", by leaving a towel and...disappearing for hours? Does the staff collect those towels, once this happens? I read several different posts on this issue...

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Thanks clarea. Isn't there any rule stating that people shouldn't keep the lounge chairs "reserved", by leaving a towel and...disappearing for hours? Does the staff collect those towels, once this happens? I read several different posts on this issue...

There is a rule about leaving lounge chairs for no longer than 30 minutes, but enforcement is not universal.

What do you consider early? What time do we need to get there to get a seat close to the pool and in full sun?

You will have to judge for yourself as this can vary by weather, itinerary, demographic, etc. I've seen people putting towels on a series of lounge chairs as early as 6am.

You will have to judge for yourself as this can vary by weather, itinerary, demographic, etc. I've seen people putting towels on a series of lounge chairs as early as 6am.

Seriously? That's too early. I usually don't make it there until 7:30 or 8. I wait until we eat breakfast and actually stay there though. I don't drop off a towel to save a seat I'm not using and then walk away. It's so frustrating to see all those claimed, yet empty seats for hours. [emoji35]

I think wanting to see the ocean is valid. In my opinion you don't see the ocean much in public spaces on this ship other than the pool decks and Boardwalk. The best place to see the ocean on this class of ship in my opinion is your cabin. I personally would never book a Central Park or interior room. With a boardwalk room you could still see some ocean depending on where your room is.

As for what food is included and not they are very good about putting those details in the compass. One of the things I like about this class of ship is that if you really wanted to you could eat somewhere different everyday during the cruise. There are still places that we have not been to and we have now sailed this class of ship twice.

You don't need to book dining in the main dining room but I would highly recommend it. You can always change the reservation if it doesn't work with your plans.

Thanks! I feel better. I'd like to try eating at different places so that might be fun. :)

Great review! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to go back and jot down some notes.

Just curious...where were all the people in your photos?

Glad you enjoyed the review. The people in the pictures are my sister, my mom, my partner, and myself.

This handout was distributed at the Captain's Corner presentation. It has some fun facts about the Oasis of the Seas. It is kind of hard to read...if you have an ipad you might be able to zoom in on the picture. I can't get the picture to load any larger. If you view the attachments you will be able to read the documents.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

2712_001.pdf

2713_001.pdf

Edited by Klstaack