WOW!!! What a difference! Trip Report - Oasis of the Seas 6/6

On that note, you might have to do some reading. I've been on Allure twice, and looking forward to Oasis next year. Oasis has undergone changes making the comparison a little different, but Allure just underwent changes too. Have to keep reading cruise critic. Not sure if I will go on Harmony before returning to Allure. 2018 will tell.

I think now that Allure has been in dry dock they are essentially the same again. The reason we didn't like Allure last year did not have to do with the ship itself it was that we felt there were not many activities and we encountered many unfriendly staff.

However, Ken Rush was the cruise director while we were on the Allure and he was MUCH better than the cruise director that we had on this trip.

Thank you so much for posting your review! DD & I will be sailing on Oasis next April. Love your pictures!

Thank you....I took many more pictures than I normally do because I when into the trip knowing that I wanted to write a review. IMHO the reviews with pictures are always more enjoyable to read.

Thank you for the great review. I have a question about Labadee.

Is the only shade available on the beach under the trees, or can you rent an umbrella to cover two loung chairs?

Thanks.

We asked for an umbrella and were given one, no cost, beyond a tip to the attendant.

Enjoying the review/pics thus far. We're going on Oasis for first time this December and I have spent every day since I booked it (last December) reading Cruise Critic, going on webcam, etc. I'm obsessed. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

We asked for an umbrella and were given one, no cost, beyond a tip to the attendant.

I did not see anyone with umbrella's at Columbus Cove. The other beach areas had the clam shells available.

Edited by Klstaack

Day five was another day at sea. We woke up again to gray skies. We started out the day with…you guessed it…an omelet from Wipeout Café. After breakfast we walked around a bit and played Disney Trivia…we did not end up winning that trivia game...if you know a lot about Disney movies you would probably be able to win easily.

After trivia the Crown and Anchor reception was held in the Aqua Theater. It was rescheduled to today since it was canceled on the second sea day when it was raining. The reception consisted of free drinks, a small diving demonstration, information about booking a future cruise, and a small introduction from the captains. They also stated how many crown and anchor members were on the cruise and a status breakdown with the amount of passengers in each category. There were four couples on the sailing that were pinnacle…the couple with the most days at sea was over 1,300 days! 1,300 days is a lot of cruises, they were fairly young as well…so maybe they are travel agents or maybe they just love cruising. Someday I hope to be able to spend over 1,300 days at sea. I think to date I have spent 56 days at sea…but that is with all of the cruises I have ever taken, not just with Royal Caribbean. With Royal Caribbean we have only had 14 days at sea…more days will come in the future.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

After the Crown and Anchor event it was time for a comedy dive show called Splish Splash. This show did not require reservations. This show must be a newer show as it was not on Allure of the Seas when we sailed on her in September 2014.

ry%3D400

After the show we had lunch at Park Café, watched the sexiest man contest, and then ended our afternoon with a game of putt-putt and trivia.

ry%3D400

This time we WON the trivia game…..actually it was a tie between us and another team but my sister answered the tie breaker question correctly. Our prize consisted of these zipper pulls.

ry%3D400

Tonight was the second formal night so after trivia we got ready for dinner and went and saw Come Fly with Me. This show is an acrobatic show with singing and dancing it has a Cirque du Soleil feel to it. We all enjoyed the show. Again I had reservations for this show before getting on board.

After the show it was time for dinner…and dinner on the second formal night with this itinerary means lobster tails! I had made reservations before getting on board so we did not have to wait to get a table. The line with no reservations was moving slowly. The food tonight was good but the service was worse than it was a few days ago. The service was so slow and I was beyond annoyed with waiting that we ended up leaving after we ate our main course so we missed out on dessert. I love dessert so for us to not stay is a huge deal. I know lobster night is probably the busiest night in the main dining room but the service was extremely slow. I kind of had some sympathy for the dining room team due to the work load on lobster night. Before I went on this cruise I found a documentary on YouTube about food service on the Oasis of the Seas and it specifically talked about the challenges of lobster night…it is worth watching if you are interested in food service operation on a cruise ship. In the end I did not complain to anyone about the service because it really was not that big of a deal to me. However, this was our last meal in the main dining room.

After dinner we went back to the room and changed into something more comfortable. We went to the pub for a bit and watched the musician and then went to bed. Tonight was 70’s night which I knew would be enjoyable; however, it was scheduled for 11:45pm…there is no way that I wanted to stay up that late for the 70’s party. The cruise staff on the Rising Tide bar said that the new cruise director wanted it to be later at night and this was the first week that it was at 11:45pm. My mom ended up enjoying the 70’s party when it was being played on the television the following day.

ry%3D400

Our next port of call would be Cozumel!

Edited by Klstaack

Enjoying the review/pics thus far. We're going on Oasis for first time this December and I have spent every day since I booked it (last December) reading Cruise Critic, going on webcam, etc. I'm obsessed. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

I do the same things when I'm getting ready to go on a cruise. I become obsessed and read every review I can find. You would have though I had never been on this class of ship before based on the amount of reviews that I read prior to this cruise.

What a great Saturday morning read as I drink my coffee! I'm trying to decide between Oasis, Allure and NCL's new ships Getaway and Escape for next summer. It will be just my 15yo son and I (mom). We just got back from 10 glorious days on St John so a cruise will have to be AWESOME to top that. Do you think there are enough activities for an active mom and her son to do together? I'm sure he'll meet up with other teens and leave me to myself though.....which is fine also:cool:

What a great Saturday morning read as I drink my coffee! I'm trying to decide between Oasis, Allure and NCL's new ships Getaway and Escape for next summer. It will be just my 15yo son and I (mom). We just got back from 10 glorious days on St John so a cruise will have to be AWESOME to top that. Do you think there are enough activities for an active mom and her son to do together? I'm sure he'll meet up with other teens and leave me to myself though.....which is fine also:cool:

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those! We are doing the Oasis this summer and the Getaway next. I wonder which cruise we will enjoy more. Our least favorite so far was on the Caribbean Princess. I have very high expectations of our upcoming cruises and am getting very excited for the Oasis which isn't too far off now. I love reading these reviews!

Our son always found friends to hang out with on cruises. I'm sure yours will too.

I do the same things when I'm getting ready to go on a cruise. I become obsessed and read every review I can find. You would have though I had never been on this class of ship before based on the amount of reviews that I read prior to this cruise.

I was on the Freedom last summer - Eastern - Going next summer - Western - and I still read like I am a newbie:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing! I have finally booked the Oasis for August after years of wanting to try her out. I love big ships but I am seriously nervous of not feeling like I'm on a cruise. I LIKE to see the water around me....boardwalk, Central Park? Not so sure. Also seems like I'll have to have a list to keep track of what I can eat where...used to fresh omelettes at the buffet, that kind of thing. And I'm still confused about having to book "free" dining. Like you, I HATE lines. Fortunately all my shows are booked. Just curious were the seats for the Aqua show equally good or do you need to arrive early?

I'd suggest reading the daily papers from each to see what activities you'd enjoy. We're doing a family reunion cruise on the Getaway in August (5 kids from age 6 to 17). Then my family (husband, daughter-6, and me) are cruising on the Oasis 3 weeks later. We've been on the Breakaway and loved it so I have no doubt we'll love the Getaway. I'm not completely sold on the Oasis for a few reasons....we'll see what happens. (For older kids, I think rope courses and rock climbing walls are more fun that ice skating.)

We did Getaway last year and there is no comparison. Stick to Allure or Oasis.

My son is questioning me. Wipeout cafe is made to order omelettes? We were just on the allure and and he said they were premade and not so great.

Enjoying your review!

They might have some pre-made omelettes, but they have made to order eggs also.

Thanks for sharing! I have finally booked the Oasis for August after years of wanting to try her out. I love big ships but I am seriously nervous of not feeling like I'm on a cruise. I LIKE to see the water around me....boardwalk, Central Park? Not so sure. Also seems like I'll have to have a list to keep track of what I can eat where...used to fresh omelettes at the buffet, that kind of thing. And I'm still confused about having to book "free" dining. Like you, I HATE lines. Fortunately all my shows are booked. Just curious were the seats for the Aqua show equally good or do you need to arrive early?

All the seats in the Aqua Theater are good. If you sit in the first three rows on the benches you will get wet.