Seabourn Club Points and Status

jimmyw9

I understand the rules that members cannot benefit from each others status.

However, according to the T&C's it says that the benefits of discount on shore excursions and premium wines and spirits if selected are applicable to both guests in the suite.

Is this not a contradiction?

Some benefits are applied to the individual, while others are applied to the travel companion in the same suite.

I don't see it as contradiction. It's part of the program design, and it's sensible and generous.

Also, things are not always so clear cut. For instance, a diamond member enjoys free unlimited internet; who is to limit her suite mate from taking advantage of that?

Is this not a contradiction?

No, it is an amendment. But it also reflects things that are shareable and things that are not.

Some things can be shared, such as internet using the same login id or a bag of laundry. But it is still so many hours of internet or one bag of laundry. Some cannot be shared, such as a massage.

It is generous for the excursions and wines. And appreciated.

Some benefits are applied to the individual, while others are applied to the travel companion in the same suite.

I don't see it as contradiction. It's part of the program design, and it's sensible and generous.

Also, things are not always so clear cut. For instance, a diamond member enjoys free unlimited internet; who is to limit her suite mate from taking advantage of that?

IIRC when Diamonds connect the system only allows one device at a time - so while a Diamond in theory could share their login only one or the other could be online at any given time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received an email from the club saying that for both of us to benefit from the discount on shore excursions and premium wines I should select one and my partner the other, OK, I understand that. But as I am diamond I get both anyway. I emailed them back and I got a reply saying that it is against the T&Cs for members to benefit from another guest status, so one of those should be selected by my partner. This to me seems a waste of one of his benefits.

I have received an email from the club saying that for both of us to benefit from the discount on shore excursions and premium wines I should select one and my partner the other, OK, I understand that. But as I am diamond I get both anyway. I emailed them back and I got a reply saying that it is against the T&Cs for members to benefit from another guest status, so one of those should be selected by my partner. This to me seems a waste of one of his benefits.

I'd guess you got bad information from a misinformed rep.

In case of premium wine discount, does SB expect you to exclusively drink all the premium wines yourself, without sharing it with your suite mates and/or friends?!

For shore excursions, it's always applied to the entire suite, without both guests having to select the benefit. It'd be strange to treat this policy differently for Diamond guests.

I'd ignore the reply and just sort it out on board at SB Square. Perhaps other Diamond members can chime in.

I'd guess you got bad information from a misinformed rep.

In case of premium wine discount, does SB expect you to exclusively drink all the premium wines yourself, without sharing it with your suite mates and/or friends?!

For shore excursions, it's always applied to the entire suite, without both guests having to select the benefit. It'd be strange to treat this policy differently for Diamond guests.

I'd ignore the reply and just sort it out on board at SB Square. Perhaps other Diamond members can chime in.

I agree with sfvoyage.

We are not Diamond yet but we select premium wine package and get our Sebourn Club discount. When we get a bottle to share including sometimes with new to Seabourn cruisers we don't get staff coming and presenting a bill for their non discount portion.

It would assume it will mean for practical reasons you will have to put shore excursions and wine on your account so your discounts will apply.

The only thing is you get free wifi and partner will only be able to select some hours if they wish or something else. My DH buys the unlimited package as he needs to stay connected for work as we usually are on long voyages. All it means is for me to access his wifi, he needs to log off and I can then go on the internet using his sign on. We just can't be on at the same time. So for your partner to use your internet benefit I would assume you could do this. I usually take some hours just so sometimes I can jump on the internet with my own sign on.

I hope this makes sense and is of help.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

I agree with sfvoyage.

We are not Diamond yet but we select premium wine package and get our Sebourn Club discount. When we get a bottle to share including sometimes with new to Seabourn cruisers we don't get staff coming and presenting a bill for their non discount portion.

It would assume it will mean for practical reasons you will have to put shore excursions and wine on your account so your discounts will apply.

The only thing is you get free wifi and partner will only be able to select some hours if they wish or something else. My DH buys the unlimited package as he needs to stay connected for work as we usually are on long voyages. All it means is for me to access his wifi, he needs to log off and I can then go on the internet using his sign on. We just can't be on at the same time. So for your partner to use your internet benefit I would assume you could do this. I usually take some hours just so sometimes I can jump on the internet with my own sign on.

I hope this makes sense and is of help.

Julie

Thanks Julie.

Internet should be free to both of us as we are in one of the Signature Suites, but if not he has 4 hours with his Platinum status anyway.

I am just confused by what the Club Concierge said regarding the supposedly shared benefits. I just do not see any point in him selecting one of those as an option since I have them under my preferences.

I guess this issue only comes up when you have two people with differing statuses. Anyway, it will only be an issue for our next cruise as he will qualify for diamond status upon completion of that.

Thanks Julie.

Internet should be free to both of us as we are in one of the Signature Suites, but if not he has 4 hours with his Platinum status anyway.

I am just confused by what the Club Concierge said regarding the supposedly shared benefits. I just do not see any point in him selecting one of those as an option since I have them under my preferences.

I guess this issue only comes up when you have two people with differing statuses. Anyway, it will only be an issue for our next cruise as he will qualify for diamond status upon completion of that.

I guess the Club Concierge was just going with the most literal interpretation of the T & C's but they are difficult to enforce in your case on a practical level......especially when your partner is so close to Diamond as well.

Enjoy your cruise jimmyw9.

Julie

Yes Julie he is so close, in fact only one point away....but the rules are the rules! We are not sure how this happened with our points. I did take an extra cruise than him with my mother but if you minus that out of the equation we should both still be Diamond......but there is no point going there with SB we have discovered.

Anyway, I shall enjoy totally free laundry ahead of him on this cruise and enjoy watching him stuff as much as he can into his two free bags he gets......

No that I am suggesting you do this ... But you could send his laundry out with yours -- how would they be able to tell his laundry from yours?[emoji6]

+1 :)

Though watching your partner fighting to get everything he wants into the laundry bag sounds fun as well :D.

As I understand the T&Cs Laundry is a benefit specific to a guest, only Shore Excursions and Premium Wine discounts are applicable to both suite guests.

This is true as a platinum member he can have one bag of laundry every seven days. But as Chairsin suggested maybe sometimes his laundry could end up in your free laundry bag.

DH and I are platinum and so each get a bag every seven days. I would put in a bag in my name and my DH would put in some of his clothes and no questions asked and vice versa.

So frustrating about his missing it by one point for your next cruise......I understand as we are four points off for our next cruise but such is life. We are looking forward to enjoying the benefits on the cruise following.

Julie

I am Gold and applied for the shore excursions for myself and the premium wine for spouse. We got the discount on the premium wine we had at dinner, but when we both went to the wine tasting, only she got a discounted price. Seemed reasonable.

I was just teasing Julie as to her getting entertainment value at the cost of her DH's traumatic bag stuffing. Now this would not happen in our suite as Mr. Chairsin would be clueless about sending our laundry as he assumes clean clothes magically appear when and where he wants them.

And I was teasing too......do SB really think they will see a charge for laundry on our account.....when it is settled from the same bank account!!!!

This hardline view on benefits I am getting from Seattle seems very strange!

Just highlighting where their rules won't work.......that said we do not trust SB with too much of our laundry anyway and just limit it to our gym gear etc.....

I feel that if two people occupying a suite with differing club levels the the higher level should be applied to both guests.

Are SB really going to check that I am a L and my partner a M and charge us accordingly........

If it is really going to get that petty, the my laundry will be put in daily and his once the bag is full (once every 7 days)........net result is that we both receive free laundry........

This is getting silly. Yes, you can both put in your clothes in the laundry bag. The laundry doesn't care. It shows just as one free bag in your benefits. Contents are irrelevant. And yes, we have used that benefit and the bag always has obviously male and female clothing in it. It amounts to one free bag per room per week (or cruise) even if only one person can choose it.

This is getting silly. Yes, you can both put in your clothes in the laundry bag. The laundry doesn't care. It shows just as one free bag in your benefits. Contents are irrelevant. And yes, we have used that benefit and the bag always has obviously male and female clothing in it. It amounts to one free bag per room per week (or cruise) even if only one person can choose it.

I agree - this is getting too petty to bother with.

Incidentally, jimmy, we have always been very happy with the way our clothes have been laundered by Seabourn - they do my white trousers much better than I can! Maybe I am not fussy enough, or a bad laundress.;)

I agree - this is getting too petty to bother with.

Incidentally, jimmy, we have always been very happy with the way our clothes have been laundered by Seabourn - they do my white trousers much better than I can! Maybe I am not fussy enough, or a bad laundress.;)

Silly.....me [emoji23]

I am just highlighting how Laundry should be a shared benefit.......I think my example in my previous post shows why.

[emoji12]