Discounted Kids Menu Adopted in Carnival STEAKHOUSES

eponym

I see a lot of what is discussed on CC, brought over to Facebook. Today, I saw Facebook posts about adding Children's menu to the Carnival Steakhouses. Let's see what CC participants think about that idea.

Should Carnival start offering discounted Kid's menus in their Steakhouses? If I understand the Carnival rules, Kids can dine at steakhouses now. So, this is whether to add discounted kids menus for the Steakhouse.

I say sure, why not?

I have two DDs (6 and 2) who cruise with us, but I'm still against this idea for two reasons.

First, I am just against kids menus in general. I don't think there is "kid food" and "adult food" — there is just food. So while I think it would be cool if they offered smaller portions of menu items, I don't think we need to see chicken tenders and grilled cheese added to the steakhouse menu.

Second, I think it's nice to have a couple of areas on the ship where you can get away from kids. I certainly disagree with those who question bringing your children on vacation, because we always travel with ours. But I think the steakhouse is an upscale experience that should be kind of a quiet spot to get away. I know children are allowed now, but the price kind of helps keep kids out. Mom and Dad can drop them at Camp Carnival for a bit if they want to go to the steakhouse for dinner.

I have two DDs (6 and 2) who cruise with us, but I'm still against this idea for two reasons.

First, I am just against kids menus in general. I don't think there is "kid food" and "adult food" — there is just food. So while I think it would be cool if they offered smaller portions of menu items, I don't think we need to see chicken tenders and grilled cheese added to the steakhouse menu.

Second, I think it's nice to have a couple of areas on the ship where you can get away from kids. I certainly disagree with those who question bringing your children on vacation, because we always travel with ours. But I think the steakhouse is an upscale experience that should be kind of a quiet spot to get away. I know children are allowed now, but the price kind of helps keep kids out. Mom and Dad can drop them at Camp Carnival for a bit if they want to go to the steakhouse for dinner.

AGREE! the complainer on the other site wanted to take their 2 kids to their 20th anniversary dinner with them............Really? It is their anniversary, so date each other not the kids!! No kids menu at the steak house.

Definitely no to a kids' menu at the steakhouse. If your kid wouldn't appreciate a really nice meal (and know how to behave in a nice restaurant), feed him/her at the buffet.

Edited by almendrada

It depends on what you mean by kid's menu.

I would love kid's pricing with kid sized portions. My son loves lobster bisque, but I couldn't get it ala carte. I'm not about to spend $35 for one cup of soup for a 7 year old who will barely eat half of it. Fortunately my wife got it and shared with him. I'm not too interested in seeing more kid items, simply something portioned and priced for a child.

As to all those who say no, teach your children how to behave in public. Children learn from their parents.

A child's portion of lobster bisque and a small sirloin? My son would have been in heaven.

AGREE! the complainer on the other site wanted to take their 2 kids to their 20th anniversary dinner with them............Really? It is their anniversary, so date each other not the kids!! No kids menu at the steak house.

Yeah..not very romantic. No kids at my anniversary dinner.

Boy, do I agree with that statement! BUT! Not at my expense!

We have taken our grandson, perfect table manners, polite, intelligent and knows how to behave. (13 years old at the time).

I have also seen the screaming, ranting, out of control kids while mommy and daddy merrily ignore them! NOT in the steakhouse! NO WAY! The steakhouse is NOT the place for the "it is my cruise, I will do whatever I want" crowd.

Next the whining will begin to let them play craps or blackjack because it is a family cruise line and why should junior or missy be excluded from the fun?

I see a lot of what is discussed on CC, brought over to Facebook. Today, I saw Facebook posts about adding Children's menu to the Carnival Steakhouses. Let's see what CC participants think about that idea.

Should Carnival start offering discounted Kid's menus in their Steakhouses? If I understand the Carnival rules, Kids can dine at steakhouses now. So, this is whether to add discounted kids menus for the Steakhouse.

I say sure, why not?

No way. There are plenty of kid friendly spaces on Carnival ships, but the steakhouse which costs EXTRA should not be one of them. I would not spend extra on my cruise to attend a kid zone.

I say sure

However, set the price point to where a family would really have to think about it.

If the kids order off the main menu,,, full charge

If the kids order off the children's menu (12 and below) $20.

No kiddie menu. The steakhouse is an experience. If your child can behave in this atmosphere fantastic, pay the price. We've gotten to the point that cruising has gotten to be a chance for people to try to make changes to everyone's experience. If your kids can handle 2 hr, quiet ambiance, low tone conversation, dinners then you'll be there and we won't even know it. Pay the full price for the experience it's special. Maybe you can ask carnival to build a family friendly steakhouse.

I agree with no kids menu. Food is food.

I am wavering on a reduced portion with reduced price. It might be nice but as klfrodo suggested it would have to be high enough that people would think about it.

A $5 nugget or grilled cheese menu will have the steakhouse full of kids.

Now, to be fair, some people do want to share their anniversaries with their children. My parents, for their 55th, didn't really mind having their celebration in the MDR so all the parties in our group cruising, including 2 seven year olds and 2 nineteen year olds, could attend. We had an amazing celebration with 8 diners in the MDR. This argument should be for an adult -only restaurant on board, IMHO.

Last time we were on Carnival Breeze, there was a family of 4 (two parents, one boy about 13 and one girl around 10) sitting next to us in the steakhouse. A waiter from the dining room had delivered them kids meals to their table. I asked the parents if they ordered them in the steakhouse or arranged it through special needs in advance. They said they talked to the MDR hostess the night before and were not special needs. The kids were behaved and I don't see a problem with it. I take the kids on land to Ruth's Chris and other various upscale steakhouses and wouldn't hesitate taking them to a steakhouse onboard. One should not be forced to put their kids in camp and it would be a disservice to exclude them from higher quality food on a ship with such poor food quality to begin with.

I agree 100% with you.

No kids menus. To me a large part of what I pay for at the steakhouse is the ambience. Do I think kids should be excluded completely, no. I also wouldn't want to see anything done to encourage them. For DH and I it is a romantic evening. Most (not all) kids would probably spoil it.

Last time we were on Carnival Breeze, there was a family of 4 (two parents, one boy about 13 and one girl around 10) sitting next to us in the steakhouse. A waiter from the dining room had delivered them kids meals to their table. I asked the parents if they ordered them in the steakhouse or arranged it through special needs in advance. They said they talked to the MDR hostess the night before and were not special needs. The kids were behaved and I don't see a problem with it. I take the kids on land to Ruth's Chris and other various upscale steakhouses and wouldn't hesitate taking them to a steakhouse onboard. One should not be forced to put their kids in camp and it would be a disservice to exclude them from higher quality food on a ship with such poor food quality to begin with.

I don't think people are referring to older children. Most are referring to the much younger toddlers that specialize in being fussy or parents letting them run around or have no training of what an "indoor voice" is;)