Discounted Kids Menu Adopted in Carnival STEAKHOUSES

eponym

I am against the kids menu in the steakhouses as well. There is currently only 1 spot onboard most ships(Serenity) that is adults only. Even Disney, the supposed kids line has more adults only areas.

I couldn't agree more. Just because Carnival is a family friendly cruise line does not mean that they shouldn't have areas that are adults only.

imo, no, just no.

it seems any more that most of the ship is 'kid friendly'. part of the reason they impose a surcharge for the steakhouse is to control the experience. in other words, it's an adult space, in part because people (like the person who posted that) don't want to spend for their kid to have a cup of soup. that's part of the point, i think...

kids are already allowed. and for everyone who says 'well my kid has perfect table manners, and is very well behaved' - every other parent would like to think that too, but it is not always true!

i can see where the OP from that JH post is coming from, but FFS, i can't go dance at club o2, so why should the steakhouse accommodate kids more than they already do? i just think this is another 'carnival should bend to my specific preference' type post.

the ships already have all of these built in child-care type venues - camp carnival, club 02, circle c all of that stuff... i don't use any of them. i don't have any kids that use them. and i don't demand that i have use of them, either... some people need to realize they're on a ship with 3000 other people and everything can't be exactly as would be perfectly suited to their own personal situation.

Strangely, we've always went to the steakhouse and have not once ever seen children of any age present. The story about baby poop all over the sink I find hard to believe. If there was poop all over the place, why would you use the poopy sink to wash your hands and then return to dinner?

Strangely, we've always went to the steakhouse and have not once ever seen children of any age present. The story about baby poop all over the sink I find hard to believe. If there was poop all over the place, why would you use the poopy sink to wash your hands and then return to dinner?

I don't believe the poop story either, but I can report my one and only time at the steakhouse there were 2 kids in there that started off fine, then the little boy started picking on the little girl causing her to squeal. They were dressed so cute, but they were soon out of there chairs running around the table. The parents tried some half hearted attempts to make them get back in their chairs, but I couldn't decide what was pi$$ing me of more, the kids playing or the parents lack of parenting skills and the fake threats they were making.

We did receive some very nice chocolate covered strawberries as apology from the steakhouse, but I would have rather had an enjoyable meal.

I see a lot of what is discussed on CC, brought over to Facebook. Today, I saw Facebook posts about adding Children's menu to the Carnival Steakhouses. Let's see what CC participants think about that idea.

Should Carnival start offering discounted Kid's menus in their Steakhouses? If I understand the Carnival rules, Kids can dine at steakhouses now. So, this is whether to add discounted kids menus for the Steakhouse.

I say sure, why not?

Great idea. Why shouldn't kids have access to the great food as well, with smaller portions and a discounted price. It was changed from a Supper Club to a Steakhouse years ago, because there weren't enough Carnival customers that even knew what fine dining was.

We're not huge fans of the steakhouse but the couple of times we did go we luckily didn't have any experience with little ones acting unruly. I do agree with the idea of making it adult only. For $35 per person people deserve to enjoy an adult ambiance without the possibility of having it ruined by a screaming baby or squirmy toddlers.

I have two DDs (6 and 2) who cruise with us, but I'm still against this idea for two reasons.

First, I am just against kids menus in general. I don't think there is "kid food" and "adult food" — there is just food. So while I think it would be cool if they offered smaller portions of menu items, I don't think we need to see chicken tenders and grilled cheese added to the steakhouse menu.

Second, I think it's nice to have a couple of areas on the ship where you can get away from kids. I certainly disagree with those who question bringing your children on vacation, because we always travel with ours. But I think the steakhouse is an upscale experience that should be kind of a quiet spot to get away. I know children are allowed now, but the price kind of helps keep kids out. Mom and Dad can drop them at Camp Carnival for a bit if they want to go to the steakhouse for dinner.

I read many of the replies so far, and hope everyone will continue to discuss.

What if they simply added a new Family steakhouse dining area that included smaller portions and lower price menus for kids/seniors.

At the same time having a policy of no children under the age of 13 allowed in the regular Steakhouse with no special menuing or price variants.

You either enjoy the Family Steakhouse, or the Steakhouse. Would that appease most everyone?

What if they simply added a new Family steakhouse dining area that included smaller portions and lower price menus for kids/seniors.

At the same time having a policy of no children under the age of 13 allowed in the regular Steakhouse with no special menuing or price variants.

You either enjoy the Family Steakhouse, or the Steakhouse. Would that appease most everyone?

They have a hard time filling one. I hardly think they would venture to two.

I taught in inner city elementary schools for over three decades. I never once had an issue with a parent. No one believes this , but it is true. I had some parents tell me that they could not do anything with their child ( often medical reasons) and after having my child......I knew where they were coming from. She is and was a good girl but had her moments.

I enjoy children. I was a librarian. No one is a greater advocate for Children. their rights. What helps them. Everyone of them is a gift to this world. I hope don't sound like a Know it all.

And often the parents who felt like they had such good control of their children...either did not know what the little darlings were doing when they were not there or were just blind. And it is hard for children to meet the expectations of how adults think they should behave. ....................& they will react....if they fear you.....behind your back. If they don't fear you.............then in front of your face. They have a lot more upstairs than people give them credit for having, in my opinion.

MY opinion................................ NO NO NO no one below the age of 12 in the steakhouse.

Disney has a wonderful Adult Only restaurants.

It is not normal for very young children to sit for two hours.

When our 4 year old goes with us...........Chucky Cheese is a fav..but when we go to A nice restaurant and I am talking Olive Garden, etc where families come..

.I take a small coloring book. crayons. I color with her. She has learned to play tic tac toe. We play that. We do dot to dot. She does not just sit. if she Did. MELTDOWN coming. She is engaged until her food is before her. That would be hard to do for TWO hours.

And for four years old........she stays in the lines. she has become a really good coloring girl. She starts Pre K next year.

Edited by AmberTeka

NO. Carnival would compromise by blending the two.

We sail next week end. We are booked in the Steakhouse. The Italian Restaurant and the Asian REstaurant. I have the e-mail confirmations.

If we go to the Steak house and listen to howling while parents sit there and destroy the meal for everyone else........AGAIN. I am never going back. it is a waste of money.

So this push...........spoils it for everyone.

Seems selfish to me......................but then, it irks me. We did not go to the Steakhouse on the Liberty because we had to listen to an extended family reunion group with at least three toddlers.............cry. howl. on and on. when we were on the Breeze in September of 2013

we were on he Dream in 2014.

We were on the Liberty in 2014

We were on Princess in 2015 but their Steakhouse is not as good as Carnival's.

We have not gone back to the Steakhouse since 2013.

Just testing the waters again now

IF There is More howling. and parents sitting there......totally ignoring everyone else and how it ruins their meal...............NEVER AGAIN.

Never again.

AND I LOVE Carnival's steakhouses. Great Food.

Edited by AmberTeka

When I was a kid (yes, I was once a baby goat, but grew out of that!) my parents would often take me to restaurants with no kids menu, and I did just fine. Some of these were fine dining establishments. In a worse case scenario we'd take some food home with us.

Today, I am considered to be a senior at 56, my appetite isn't what it used to be, so, I'll still take food home. Of course, on a ship that won't work.

No need for kids or senior menus just about anywhere. I can see them at certain land-based "family" restaurants, such as Denny's, but that's about it.

It appears what you are now interested in discussing is the introduction of another specialty restaurant modifying the offering of an existing one to turn it into a venue attractive to "kids and seniors" with smaller portions and a lower price.

First, it's highly unlikely existing ships could be retrofitted with a separate dining room to appeal to such a small target audience and equally unlikely new builds will incorporate such a venue for similar reasons.

Second, extending "Kids and Senior" pricing to specialty venues dilutes the experience to a "Denny's" mentality.

So I suspect the answer will be the same - it won't appease most and opinions will be against such an idea.

For the posters who don't believe the poop was on the sink, perhaps I should have taken pictures of it to show you. For the poster who asked why I would wash my hands at that sink, I didn't. There were two sinks in the ladies room and the mother and baby were at the one end that had a couple of feet of counter top next to the sink and the other one was next to the wall which is where I washed my hands.

Good grief people, I have no reason to lie on here. I guess I should have said that the screaming kids and ignorant parents were wonderful and I should have felt lucky to have had them in the Steak House with me.

No. There should be an age limit. Twice we have gone and listened to a child crying. Parents sitting there.....ignoring it.

We have a four year old grand child. she is getting older but when she pitched a fit, her father took her out and calmed her down. or we left. Sometimes we had them wrap our food and took it home.

We were not going to spoil the dinner of people who were having a treat eating out by our howling little darling.

If a kid's menu brings in more kids under 10.........count me out. And some children are beautifully behaved in there.

it is the ones who run wild who spoil dinner for every one who paid to eat there in peace and quiet.

Amber- you weren't on the Magic listening to babies were you? :)

This past April, we had a fantastic experience for the first half hour. Then a young couple arrived with an infant who cried and fussed incessantly for the next 1.5 hours. Clearly the parents were exhausted. They couldn't even muster the energy to get up and walk the poor child on the promenade to settle him/her down.

The entire situation was sad, the child was upset, the parents looked vacant, the other guests were fuming. What struck me most was the attitude of the staff. They were clearly distressed that the experience was marred for everyone. Quiet apologies with every delivery. A nearby guest loudly complained and they discretely explained they weren't allowed to do anything. I suspect they made very little additional tips.

There was a mishap on one of our checks with a missed additional tip. We stopped by the next day to make sure they added it on the Sail and Sign card. You could tell this was unexpected, they apologized profusely for the experience with the crying. On our way out one of the servers stopped their prep and offered sincere thanks for "thinking of us".

I doubt a kids menu would have impacted this situation. I suspect there was a minimal or no charge for the baby.

I later saw the same family passing through customs with another child around 6-7. I'm guessing this child went to a kids program to avoid the $35 charge and the baby was 'free'.

The steakhouse is meant to be a fine dining experience. As such, it should not be marred by crying babies or whiny toddlers.

For the record, I am a mother of four and until my children were of an age to appreciate it, I made other arrangements for them when I want to "dine" as opposed to "eat".

There are more than enough options for child care on a CCL ship if parents of young children want to take a night off and enjoy a meal in the Steakhouse. Imposing infants and toddlers on passengers who are paying $35/plate for their meal is beyond rude IMO.

Thankfully JH has stated on FB that they will NOT be offering a children's menu in the Steakhouse. Hopefully this will be a deterrent.

I have two DDs (6 and 2) who cruise with us, but I'm still against this idea for two reasons.

First, I am just against kids menus in general. I don't think there is "kid food" and "adult food" — there is just food. So while I think it would be cool if they offered smaller portions of menu items, I don't think we need to see chicken tenders and grilled cheese added to the steakhouse menu.

Second, I think it's nice to have a couple of areas on the ship where you can get away from kids. I certainly disagree with those who question bringing your children on vacation, because we always travel with ours. But I think the steakhouse is an upscale experience that should be kind of a quiet spot to get away. I know children are allowed now, but the price kind of helps keep kids out. Mom and Dad can drop them at Camp Carnival for a bit if they want to go to the steakhouse for dinner.

This! I wish we had a "like" button.

The steakhouse is meant to be a fine dining experience. As such, it should not be marred by crying babies or whiny toddlers.

For the record, I am a mother of four and until my children were of an age to appreciate it, I made other arrangements for them when I want to "dine" as opposed to "eat".

There are more than enough options for child care on a CCL ship if parents of young children want to take a night off and enjoy a meal in the Steakhouse. Imposing infants and toddlers on passengers who are paying $35/plate for their meal is beyond rude IMO.

Thankfully JH has stated on FB that they will NOT be offering a children's menu in the Steakhouse. Hopefully this will be a deterrent.

Not a deferent to us. We've been taking the kids since they were 6. It would just make sense for Carnival to accommodate all their customers. We just end up super stuffed with plate sharing.

Not a deferent to us. We've been taking the kids since they were 6. It would just make sense for Carnival to accommodate all their customers. We just end up super stuffed with plate sharing.

There are dozens of options for dining on a Carnival ship. They already accommodate all of their customers. There is a steak option every single night in the MDR. There is no lack of accommodations for young children including the Kids Club (which my kids enjoyed immensely when they were younger) to the babysitting service.

Just as families with children feel there should be accommodations for their children, people like me who have raised their families should have at least one option where they can go to dine on a ship that is adults only.

We have all experienced the over tired or badly behaved children who, quite frankly, have ruined our dining experience. We should not have to experience it in the Steakhouse where we are paying a premium. With multiple accommodations for families, one restaurant should accommodate adults.

"Accommodation" goes both ways.

No. Just no. I think Disney offers a family steakhouse, though.

Disney has two upcharge restaurants on their new ships -- Palo and Remy, and both are adults only.

I have 3 boys ages 8, 6, and 5. Usually I am all about including the kids in most aspects of our cruise vacation. However, the Steakhouse is one place that I would agree, should be adults only. My wife and I really enjoyed our dinner there on our last cruise, while our kids enjoyed their time eating and then playing with Camp Carnival.

The best advice I can give to deal with a couple with a crying baby is to offer your assistance in calming the baby down. "It looks like the little guy is having a tough time. Do you mind if I hold him? I'm great with babies." At this point, the couple can do one of 3 things:

1) Politely decline your help, and get the hint that they should deal with the baby on their own.

2) Graciously accept your help -- although not likely, these parents are probably at their wits' end and could use a night away from their child, and should have sailed a line with a nursery (Disney, RCCL, NCL on its new ship).

3) Decline your help with a snark and look at you like you have 3 heads. I believe to go boxes are in order at this point, because the situation will not get better.

Being a mother of two children, I vote no kids menu. If they are young enough that it would be a waste of money, they probably shouldn't be dining in the steakhouse. My two boys will be eating in the steakhouse once on our trip in March, 2016 on the Breeze, and it will be their first times at ages 13 and 11. Previous to this, we had them in Camp Carnival while we dined and they were perfectly happy to do that.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but did see the post this is referring to on JH's FB.

My only comment is that this thread title is very misleading. Probably should have added a question mark or re-worded it, since it sounds as if this has been implemented (the word adopted, specifically).

I'm glad he said no kids menu in the steakhouse. They shouldn't be encouraging kids to be dining there if they are too young to enjoy it. Obnoxious kids are just 1 reason I don't think I'll ever be able to get my husband to go again.

We went to the steakhouse on the Pride for the first time because it was our honeymoon and wanted to celebrate- and did not have a great experience. It started out negatively when the host would only address me and not my husband. At all. He ignored my husband entirely. He even asked me if I would like a glass of water once we were seated and then walked away, got water, and filled only my glass and not my husband's. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen and my husband was extremely offended, it wasn't like he wanted to be the one to answer for us and had a problem with me being the one to speak, it was as if he didn't exist at all.

Then there was a large family with 3 young children who got bored, loud, and complained about not liking the food (at an 8pm reservation). And nothing was done about this by the parents or the steakhouse staff. These children were interrupting everyone's meal, but everyone else just had to deal with it.

Lastly, my husband ordered the ribeye and his was extremely fatty. He said that the every night steak offered in the dining room was a better steak than the one we paid extra for.

My food itself was good (I had the escargot and the lobster, both delicious, as was the chocolate dessert), but the experience was not. Husband says he will never go to the steakhouse again, that experience was not worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I personally am glad that they are not doing a kids menu. Although I am not personally a parent myself, I was hardly taken to restaurants as a kid that had kid menus. My parents never made my sister and I our own meal and we learned to eat what the adults were eating. We turned out just fine. I don't understand this concept of cook one meal for the adults and one meal for the children. (my sister in law does this).

But honestly, I personally, as much as I love kids, really would like a nice quiet place to dine on the ship for upscale dining. As it has been mentioned before, there is a difference between dining and eating. If your kids aren't at the age where they can't appreciate fine dining then maybe chose something else or don't have the kids attend for one night? My husband and I have the steakhouse booked for our Anniversary on our next cruise. I hope to have a nice kid free dining experience. I think that's what it was meant to be. And truthfully, if you have a super well behaved child that minds their manners I really wouldn't even mind if they came to the steakhouse, but that's just my opinion.