Zuiderdam Review 5/13/2015

GregnChris

We just finished a 22 day cruise on Zuiderdam (5/13 - 6/8/2015), staying in an aft veranda cabin, number 5185. This was our first time on the Zuiderdam. It was just 6 weeks after a major dry dock for the ship.

They said they spent more than $13M on the dry dock. I think the majority of that went into the 25 new cabins they added on the Observation deck, just aft of the Crow's Nest. They also added the "Retreat" area, with rent-able cabanas on the deck above the new cabins. This is similar to the configuration of the Nordam. The deck chairs that used to be on the Observation deck, aft of the Crow's nest, have been moved back to the stern area of deck 10, above the Lido deck. These changes were so new, they were not reflected on the ship's map distributed with the keys.

They also replaced carpet in most of the common areas of the ship. I believe they replaced the chairs in the MDR as well. Unfortunately, they didn't replace the heavy, clunky chairs in the Lido dining area.

The ship's condition was good, but even after the dry dock, it is starting to show its age. Nothing to be concerned about, but after 13 years, some areas could still use some sprucing up. And it was apparent they didn't spend any of the $13M on the tenders.

Things we found different from the S class ships:

They don't put the days of the week in the elevator rugs.

The forward, outside decks, are only available for special occasions.

Veranda Cabins (ours was 5185) don't have the same amenities. The desk wasn't as wide and didn't have any shelves or drawers.

There is an occasional chair, but no desk chair in the room, so it only seats 3.

The bathroom has a medicine cabinet instead of glass shelves.

Maybe these are the reasons the Verandas on the Veendam are listed as suites, but on the Zuiderdam they are just Verandas.

The aft veranda cabins of deck 5 have enormous verandas that are fully covered. Very nice for sitting in the shade with lots of room. However, 5185 (and apparently matching cabins 5184, 86 and 87) were all about 4 to 6 inches narrower than other veranda cabins. This was noticeable in the entry way and walking around the end of the bed. The first closet, next to the entry door, was significantly shallower than the others. So much so that the rod for hanging clothes ran from front to back of the closet, instead of side to side, reducing the amount of hanger space available. The bathroom door just cleared the closets to fully open. The narrowing was made up for by an extra 12-18 inches length in the cabin itself. Our friends stayed in 5189, and their cabin was normal width, and also normal length.

All told, we had a great time and the ship was in good shape. Next time I will have to try for one of the corner cabins on deck 5, as they have enormous, wrap around decks!

Greg

Thanks for your review. We are boarding Zuiderdam next week for our first HAL cruise and there don't seem to be as many reviews for this ship as others in the HAL fleet.

Still waiting to hear about out guarantee cabin allocation. Hope it comes soon.

Unfortunately, they didn't replace the heavy, clunky chairs in the Lido dining area.

Having been on several ships when we sailed through very rough seas resulting from Tropical storms, I am willing to bet the heavy chairs in the Lido will stay. I've seen EVERYTHING on the Lido serving lines come down when the ship hit a wave/trough and I was very grateful to have the extra weight of the chairs to keep me upright.

I agree it is difficult to move the furniture around, even the chairs in the main dining room are heavy and clunky, but I know it's for good reason.

Glad to hear you had a great time on your cruise.

When you say that the forward, outside decks are only available for special occasions, could you clarify?

I assume the wide outdoor promenade deck where people walk still allows for a complete circuit?

Thanks for your review. We're sailing on her next April.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Don't worry, the promenade deck is fully available for circuits. What I am referring to are the forward, outside areas on decks 5, 6 & 7. Also the open front deck on the bow. They opened these decks for the approach into Venice, but they were locked the rest of the time.

We like the forward open area on the Veranda Deck of the Veendam. It is just below the navigation bridge, so there are no outside lights in that area. It is nice and dark for star gazing. Could not find a similar place that was open on the Zuiderdam.

Greg

When you say that the forward, outside decks are only available for special occasions, could you clarify?

I assume the wide outdoor promenade deck where people walk still allows for a complete circuit?

Thanks for your review. We're sailing on her next April.