Floating Around Norway on a Cloud

drron29

The fog started rolling in again as we came to a big shipbuilding and oil and gas service port.Presumably part of Haugesund though it doesn't compute looking at aerial maps-

DSC04147.JPG.DSC04148.JPG.

DSC04149.JPG.DSC04150.JPG.

DSC04151.JPG.DSC04153.JPG.

We docked about 1230 as we were having an early lunch at the pool grill.This was in front of us-

DSC04161.JPG.DSC04164.JPG.

A pretty little terminal with a pretty good jazz band to greet us-

DSC04166.JPG.DSC04167.JPG.

Busses ready for those on tours and the fog recedes-

DSC04168.JPG.DSC04169.JPG.

A pretty place-

DSC04163.JPG.DSC04170.JPG.

DSC04173.JPG.DSC04174.JPG.

When we had finished lunch we walked into town.About 800 metres over a high bridge and the sun was now shining.Temp-23C (73.4F).First we saw a large jellyfish and then the distinctive manhole covers-

DSC04175.JPG.DSC04176.JPG.

Obviously a big event for Haugesund and well organised-

DSC04183.JPG.DSC04188.JPG.

DSC04196.JPG.DSC04189.JPG.

Everyone.s name was called as they crossed the line.While we crossed the bridge competitors from South Africa,Canada,Spain and Poland finished.Many had finished.Some a little distressed others "relieved"-

DSC04190.JPG.DSC04234.JPG.

Now for our walk around the town.Most businesses were closed.It was a Sunday but even places advertising Sunday opening were closed-and with all those people walking the streets!

DSC04197.JPG.DSC04198.JPG.

DSC04199.JPG.DSC04200.JPG.

DSC04201.JPG.

And free charging and parking for electric cars-

DSC04204.JPG.

Edited by drron29

That was a really good day. Loved the band. When you have trouble walking, 800 meters (? I doubt it!) and 2 bridges, "it's not far" turns into the Bataan Death March, no disrespect to those men who did. The Iron Man marathon finishes were fun to watch. I bet the swim was cold. Thanx, drron.

I agree a shuttle would have been appropriate that day.I am sure there were some who could not have made it into town because of the lack of a shuttle.

But back to some more shots around town-

DSC04205.JPG.DSC04206.JPG.

A couple of pizza shops open.I liked this sign-

DSC04207.JPG.DSC04208.JPG.

DSC04209.JPG.DSC04211.JPG.

Some distinctly Norwegian names-

DSC04214.JPG.DSC04215.JPG.

There was also a Palestine restaurant and a Palestine pizza.However it appeared they catered for the Asian community-

DSC04216.JPG.DSC04217.JPG.

I'm not too sure how popular chillis and durians are with the Norwegian and Palestinians.

DSC04218.JPG.DSC04219.JPG.

On a couple of occasions you could see the fog starting to roll in-

DSC04229.JPG.DSC04228.JPG.

But then it would roll back-

DSC04237.JPG.DSC04238.JPG.

DSC04239.JPG.

DSC04239.JPG.

Not sure what purpose that had on the roof.Maybe just to annoy the neighbours?

Just after that last shot we heard a loud foghorn-

DSC04248.JPG.DSC04249.JPG.

DSC04250.JPG.

It was a North Sea ferry steaming past.

Golf was a highlight today.A lovely 9 year old girl had charmed us throughout the cruise.Today she won the putting competition and everyone else tied for second!

But tonight was also the Captain's farewell-

DSC04251.JPG.DSC04258.JPG.

DSC04259.JPG.

Something not to be missed and a chance to say thank you to the crew especially those who are hidden from view.

After the cocktail party we had dinner with the guest relations manager and 2 American couples.Once again a very enjoyable evening with smiles and laughter all night.We had to finish around 10pm as it was the crew show night.

The MC of the show was the wonderful Simona who we have sailed with before.The last time was on the Explorer in October when she was a waitress.Now she is an International Hostess and once again a real hit.She also shows that your voyage questionnaires do mean something.She got an excellent rating from us as well as many others and is now going up the ladder.So to the show starting off with the wonderful MC and then the Cloud's John Denver-

DSC04278.JPG.DSC04283.JPG.

DSC04284.JPG.DSC04291.JPG.

Once again the MC-note the change-and the housekeeping dancers-

DSC04294.JPG.DSC04296.JPG.

The very talented pianist for this cruise Remon and then Silverseas version of the English invasion-

DSC04334.JPG.DSC04340.JPG.

DSC04342.JPG.

Then a well deserved applause for all the entertainers-

DSC04346.JPG.DSC04347.JPG.

To wind up the irrepressible CD Alan King-

DSC04349.JPG.

Monday was a sea day.The roughest seas and highest winds of the cruise.However the swell was only 1-2 metres and the swell and wind was from the stern so no great problem.At night dinner again with our new Scot's friends and yet another couple from Florida.

An early arrival into Copenhagen docking at 6am.At this time no tourists out and about-

DSC04373.JPG.DSC04374.JPG.

DSC04375.JPG.

And for duct tape,the bus for a certain group-

DSC04376.JPG.

And the next morning the plane that has come to take us away-

DSC04378.JPG.

I will be back in a day or 2 to summarise my feelings on the cruise,the food and the crew.Possibly the wine as well!

Great job Dr. Ron! Fantastic actually.

Could I persuade you to share your oil rig pic with a sunny blue sky in the background with me via email? We failed to take a pic of it before we left the ship for our hike and by the time we returned, it was completely ensconced in fog as your later pics show. Would love to add your pic to our vacation memories collection.

More of the crew-

DSC04265.JPG

Ron, thanks for the crew pics. That fellow with the certificate looks like Jason, who was a great waiter on our 2011 Arctic cruise, and IIRC he had moved up when we were last on the Cloud in 2014. Can't remember his new position... Really nice guy, though. Do you remember if he was getting an award?