Floating Around Norway on a Cloud

drron29

Thanks for the great pics which revived memories of our trip in 2012.The best thing about Murmansk is the sail away.Why do SS persist in calling at what must be the biggest dump in the world? Stick to Norway and forget the Russian bit of the itinerary and it would be a wonderful cruise itinerary.

Ron

How are the meals? On another thread people said there were only two entrees on The a Restaurant menu and only family meals in la Terraza. What has been your experience?

We were on the same trip last year and loved Murmansk and Archangel. The guides were terrific!

Thanks and happy sailing!

The menus have changed since we got off last week. We, neither drron nor I, have seen them. There is a Famiglia meal available in the Terrazza, but that is not new, just another option. Will post about it next boarding, in Sept.

As duct tape has said we did not have these changes on our cruise.We thought the meals in the main restaurant were of good quality Some didn't please-for me mainly the spicy meals which had little spice.But I understand you have to cater for everyone and it was easy to either have the dish made with extra spice or ask for some chilli or sambal on the side and add as much as you liked.As well some meals were excellent.

I must add I do not expect Michelin star quality restaurants at sea.

Hot rocks at the pool grille was nice.Liked our Le Champagne meal but as the menu now is quite old we cancelled our second booking.

Now back to the pictorial.I think everyone was quite pleased when we arrived into Kristiansund on Saturday.The weather was a little overcast but no rain or fog.A great difference to Russia.Docked at 0930 and we were off for a walk around town before 1000.The buildings acroos from the dock actually house a large shopping mall and are not really separate buildings-

DSC03843.JPG.DSC03844.JPG.

DSC03845.JPG.

A picturesque port-

DSC03846.JPG.DSC03847.JPG.

The local Tourist Information rep is ready to board-

DSC03849.JPG.

Ron

How are the meals? On another thread people said there were only two entrees on The a Restaurant menu and only family meals in la Terraza. What has been your experience?

We felt that the meals were very good in all of the venues. There were typically four to five entree choices in the Restaurant and La Terrazza each day. Like Dr. Ron, with a stagnant menu at Le Champagne for the entire 17-days, we too cancelled a booking there. I was a surprised (and disappointed) that it never changed as we enjoy the intimacy of the space.

Like Dr. Ron, with a stagnant menu at Le Champagne for the entire 17-days, we too cancelled a booking there. I was a surprised (and disappointed) that it never changed as we enjoy the intimacy of the space.

Yes, it would be nicer if they refreshed the LC menu. It's quite a tasty meal, but we didn't even go once during our last cruise on the Cloud. There are only so many times we can stuff ourselves before our clothes shrink beyond the point of no return!

Drron, still enjoying your posts! It took me a minute to figure out what was floating in the harbor for 70 years - at first I wondered if you were making a joke about yourself! ;)

We felt that the meals were very good in all of the venues. There were typically four to five entree choices in the Restaurant and La Terrazza each day. Like Dr. Ron, with a stagnant menu at Le Champagne for the entire 17-days, we too cancelled a booking there. I was a surprised (and disappointed) that it never changed as we enjoy the intimacy of the space.

It's not just that it doesn't change on a cruise, it hasn't changed for something like 3 years now, and whilst I still enjoy the intimate atmosphere our last 2 meals there were both spoilt, one by poor/extremely slow service and the other by bad cooking. What bothers me is their inability to make a simple menu work all the time.

Time for a real change methinks.

It's not just that it doesn't change on a cruise, it hasn't changed for something like 3 years now, and whilst I still enjoy the intimate atmosphere our last 2 meals there were both spoilt, one by poor/extremely slow service and the other by bad cooking. What bothers me is their inability to make a simple menu work all the time.

Time for a real change methinks.

You raise very good points Silver Spectre. You'd think if the menu hasn't changed in that length of time, they'd be able to crank out the courses in a timely and exceptionally prepared manner each and every time.

From my perspective, if we're paying a $40 upcharge per person, Le Champagne should be THE venue for presenting innovative, delightful, and incredibly tasty food.

I don't think the menu in LC has ever changed. It is definitely the same as 3 years ago. If you are going to pay extra, they should refresh the menu from time to time--perhaps have some things always available, but have some things that change with the seasons. Of course, that messes up the standardization idea.

A number of years ago (>4 years ago), LC had a different menu every night, focusing either on a different region of Italy or a special ingredient (i.e., asparagus). When you boarded the ship, you could go to the LC to make your reservation and they had the menus laid out for each evening--"Monday is Piedmont." That was most likely too high maintenance. Perhaps the answer is somewhere in the middle, such as like La Terrazza, where they change the menu every three or four nights.

We remember the days of the changing Le Champagne menus.Able to choose the days the menu suited you.The menu has become boring now.Though on the Wind around the Black Sea we went twice in 7 days due to a fantastic waiter-Taifun.He made the night for us.

Back to Norway.In Kristainsund we took the Atlantic highway and Stavnes church trip.Was enjoyable although we chose the wrong side of the bus-the fjord view was always the other side though we did have the Atlantic on our side of the bus.So to the pics-

DSC03882.JPG.DSC03887.JPG.

DSC03889.JPG.DSC03890.JPG.

DSC03891.JPG.DSC03892.JPG.