Floating Around Norway on a Cloud

drron29

We now headed up a privater oad to a viewpoint over the fjord.Turned out to be rather pointless.But some impressive snow-

DSC02854.JPG.DSC02831.JPG.

DSC02836.JPG.DSC02837.JPG.

And this one just for perspective-

DSC02851.JPG.

Even some distance down on the Geiranger road visibility was limited-

DSC02869.JPG.

The ferry is in and because it is summer people are camping-

DSC02917.JPG.DSC02921.JPG.

DSC02922.JPG.

The crew is ready to take us on board-

DSC02928.JPG.

The Orchestra and ferry are leaving as we board.The MSC ship sure looks large up close-

DSC02930.JPG.DSC02931.JPG.

So we missed trivia and golf but also we were exhausted.Once again a lovely dinner and great company.

Wednesday and another sea day.Slept all morning then lunch at the pool grille.Restaurant menu was unexciting.However service for this meal was inconsistent.But to give staff their due some was caused by the passengers as they were doing a stir fry from scratch which was popular.Some when they got their meal complained re the small serving and asked for more hence causing a longer wait-however they had chosen their ingredients.Anyone doing even basic cooking would realise the volume of fresh veggies stir fried will be reduced.

Later we were second in the trivia and golf putting.We also had booked the Pool grill for dinner and hot rocks.Apart from being freezing this was a lot better.Again saw some complaints from passengers that were totally unjustified-ie complaining about steak being overcooked when they were doing the cooking.

Definitely needed some inner warming and a couple of glasses of amarula did the trick ensuring a sound sleep.That was until midnight when awoken by the foghorn sounding.Absolutely no visibility.Eventually got back to sleep.

Awoke again as we entered Harstad.A little late as we had to wait the Hurtigren ferry to leave the dock.First to breakfast and then I was off to the Adolf gun.Rojaan doesn't share my love of military history so stayed on board.

So the excursion.Not far out of town-

DSC03001.JPG.DSC03002.JPG.

DSC03003.JPG.DSC03005.JPG.

DSC03006.JPG.DSC03007.JPG.

As the map shows these batteries were to protect Narvik Harbour.They are aimed at the mainland not out to sea to harass convoys which were much further north.

Definitely needed some inner warming and a couple of glasses of amarula did the trick ensuring a sound sleep.That was until midnight when awoken by the foghorn sounding. Absolutely no visibility. Eventually got back to sleep.

Very much loving and appreciating the many pictures and details by Dr. Ron, plus all that duct tape, etc., have posted and shared. Keep up the good efforts. Sorry, it a bit cold there. Look forward to hearing more for what you did with the stops in Russia, etc.

Surprised and amazed by all of the snow and ice pictures.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 180,259 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We're in Arkangelsk today until the 11:00pm sail away party tonight. I can't wait to see/read Dr. Ron's commentary/pics of the region. All I can add is if you ever visit, bring plenty of Deet with you.

I now officially know what it may be like to be a zoo animal. Clearly, the Cloud was the star in today's show, although I must say it was the weather that put a little pep in everyone's steps, both passengers and crew, today. Dinner at La Terrazza tonight, under a 70 degree cloudless sky, next to the brand new cathedral under construction. Glorious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks Stumblefoot...

we were so glad we had head nets in certain places we have traveled. while they were certainly unattractive, they kept the bugs from flying up our nose and in our eyes. Places one cannot put deet.

enjoying all the posts from all of you on the trip.

thanks for taking the time to post.

we have less than a week until we leave to travel to copenhagen, we will be getting on as you get off!

sounds like we need warmer clothing than we initially planned to take.

I have been trying to get onto Cruise Critic on and off over the last 4 hours.I blame those Russian surveillance trucks outside.

I agree a glorious day with the only upset Russian mosquitoes that give you a bite through your shirt.Aggressive little blighters.

Picasaweb wil still not load so no pics.Hopefully OK tomorrow.

We're in Arkangelsk today until the 11:00pm sail away party tonight. I can't wait to see/read Dr. Ron's commentary/pics of the region. All I can add is if you ever visit, bring plenty of Deet with you. I now officially know what it may be like to be a zoo animal. Clearly, the Cloud was the star in today's show, although I must say it was the weather that put a little pep in everyone's steps, both passengers and crew, today. Dinner at La Terrazza tonight, under a 70 degree cloudless sky, next to the brand new cathedral under construction. Glorious.

drron29: I have been trying to get onto Cruise Critic on and off over the last 4 hours.I blame those Russian surveillance trucks outside. I agree a glorious day with the only upset Russian mosquitoes that give you a bite through your shirt. Aggressive little blighters. Picasaweb wil still not load so no pics.Hopefully OK tomorrow.

Interesting to hear more about Arkhangelsk in the northern area of European Russia. Understand for Dr. Ron in those technical challenges with picture uploading' date=' reaching websites via the ship Internet, etc. Good luck!!

Look forward to seeing some visuals, plus to learn any added insights and comments for this far, distant part of Russia. Our July 2010 Silver Cloud adventure only traveled to the North Cape and did not go around and down to reach these unique parts of Russia. Has their travel "infrastructure" improved recently in this part of Russia? Clearly there were limits there in previous period for tourism options there per our Silver Cloud Captain at that time. BUT, it sounds like the Russian bugs were prepared and welcoming of their "fresh bait".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 201,029 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

So the last photo I posted was of the standard shell.Next come the armour piercing shells and the light weight 600Kg shell for maximum range-about 51 KM.

DSC03011.JPG.DSC03008.JPG.

Of course this required a strong way of delivering shells from the store room to the gun pit-

DSC03012.JPG.DSC03015.JPG.

And then up to the gun-

DSC03016.JPG.DSC03038.JPG.

A series of remarkable photos showing the installation of the gun and test firing-

DSC03017.JPG.DSC03018.JPG.DSC03019.JPG.

DSC03021.JPG.DSC03023.JPG.

DSC03022.JPG.

The officer in charge of the installation became good friends with one of the locals.When it was decided to have a museum the local tracked down the German officer and found he had kept photos of the installation.A bit of history preserved.

The depressing part of the installation was that the hard work was carried out by Russian POWs many of whom died here.

Now the gun-

DSC03033.JPG.DSC03047.JPG.

And a slightly smaller one nearby-

DSC03049.JPG.

Scenes from the bus including a new grave being prepared-

DSC03051.JPG.DSC03057.JPG.

DSC03059.JPG.

The Adolf gun is on a military base so you cannot just turn up to see it.A tour has to be arranged.As it is a military base about 3000 moose live here as they are not at risk of being hunted.The young were born about 7 weeks ago so not usually visible at this time of year.

Rojaan had stayed aboard and I joined her for lunch.Had 2 "spicy" dishes with no spice at all.Reminded me to order chilli or sambal on the side.After lunch we walked into town.A market in the square.Vendors from Greece,Italy and the Netherlands.

DSC03060.JPG.DSC03061.JPG.

DSC03062.JPG.

It was also Northern Norway cultural week.Rojaan got some more wool and returned to the cloud as it was windy,wet and cold.I walked around and caught up with some of the performances.They could be anywhere even in the port.The festival sign was everywhere.Sadly due to the weather very few people-

DSC03063.JPG.DSC03078.JPG.DSC03064.JPG.

Thank you drron for another great picture review. Interesting pictures of the Adolf Gun and museum. My DH and i find these places interesting as well.

Just an aside when we went to Oostend last August instead of joining the race to Bruge we went to the Atlantic Wall Museum just near the beach on the city outskirts. It was interesting to walk through a basically intact part of the Atlantic Wall and also see all the various munitions and history memorabilia of that time. If you haven't been you might find it interesting to see.

Julie

Great pics and reports.

Drron, if you ever get to Helsinki, check out the Winter War museum there. Very interesting museum about the Winter War where ill-equiped and out-manned Finns held off the Soviets. My Marine son dragged me there as it is not something I would have thought I would be interested in, but it was really well done.

Thanks Julie and Rachel I will keep those in mind.Great things about trip reports lots of ideas come out.

Back to Harstad and some random building and flower pictures-

DSC03065.JPG.DSC03067.JPG.DSC03070.JPG.

DSC03073.JPG.DSC03074.JPG.DSC03079.JPG.

A little park called the General's park after one of the towns prominent sons.They hold military concerts there in summer.

DSC03068.JPG.DSC03069.JPG.

A couple of things with a British influence-

DSC03076.JPG.DSC03077.JPG.

A grand lady-

DSC03080.JPG.

We were told little snow in winter.This seems to contradict that-

DSC03087.JPG

You can see from those last 2 pics how the weather was going.