Floating Around Norway on a Cloud

drron29

As we continued our way to Nordkapp the clouds got thicker and the temperature kept falling.Lots of reindeer to keep our spirits up.

DSC03257.JPG.DSC03259.JPG.

DSC03262.JPG.

Lakes that must be cold-

DSC03263.JPG.DSC03264.JPG.

DSC03265.JPG.

Finally at Nordkapp with it's easily recognisable distinguishing appearance-

DSC03266.JPG.DSC03267.JPG.

DSC03289.JPG.DSC03293.JPG.

DSC03317.JPG.

And the island where sea birds nest.Estimated up to 800000 puffins nest here.

DSC03282.JPG.

The Ruskies finally opened the bay up about MN! They were all well fed and watered! Captain not a happy boy.

Glad to know you have managed to escape Russia . . . and not be sent to Siberia!! Happy to see the familiar sights in and around the North Cape. Keep up the good posting and fun sharing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 110,427 views for this posting.

Question...were you kept under yellow flag while blocked in to the bay?

Good to know you were let out. It took several cases of scotch and other stuff before we were allowed to leave Providenya, and that was SIBERIA.

We were told Moscow would not let us disembark, but who knows. What was the reason you were boxed in?

Hope the rest of the cruise is wonderful. The photos certainly show spectacular scenery. With the overcast weather, the camera lens gives us a sense of majesty yet isolation. The traditional red, yellow and white houses never fail to intrigue me, as does the history of why they are painted those colors. The red houses against the deep verdant green of the countryside is such a contrast, so sharp and clear.

Thanks again for posting!

At Nordkapp the temperature was now 5C.For Terry that is 41F-though it is about time Americans joined the rest of the world in using the centigrade scale-much easier in the long run.So Nordkapp.

DSC03315.JPG.DSC03314.JPG.DSC03290.JPG.

DSC03291.JPG.DSC03310.JPG.

DSC03311.JPG.

Edited by drron29

At Nordkapp the temperature was now 5C.For Terry that is 41F-though it is about time Americans joined the rest of the world in using the centigrade scale-much easier in the long run.

Appreciate the kindness from Dr. Ron in posting the North Cape temperature as 41F to help us folks in the USA who are lacking in technical skills to convert quickly from a temperature listing at 5C. Glad you made it to the North Cape. We did a great private boat adventure to the Bird Island but then the fog set-in to block our efforts to get to that specific site. Keep up the good enjoyment and postings.

YES, 41F is much cooler weather than we had there in early July 2010.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 180,466 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The last of Nordkapp and Honninngsvag-

DSC03316.JPG.DSC03313.JPG.

DSC03320.JPG

.DSC03322.JPG.

As you can see the rain is coming so no going to the souvenir stores at the dock it was a run to board.We are being stalked-

DSC03325.JPG.

Not from the Cloud but some going on the crabbing trip-

DSC03326.JPG.

Edited by drron29

we enjoyed our trip to Nordkapp.A great guide-a South African who had been a safari guide.

After we sailed we warmed up and enjoyed our dinner in Le Champagne.Loved the foie gras,lobster and soufflé.

Sunday was another sea day cruising down the North Coast of Russia.Desolate place with little there but an occasional lighthouse and some funny construction-

DSC03331.JPG.DSC03330.JPG.

After our experiences in Russia I concluded they were internet blocking stations!However the day turned out well.The team won at trivia and amazingly I won the putting competition.

It was a formal night and the Venetian Cocktail party.Dinner with Alan King the Cruise Director.Another good night with us finishing at 11pm.A good night's sleep to get ready for Archangel.

Our first views of Archangel-

DSC03332.JPG.DSC03335.JPG.

DSC03336.JPG.DSC03339.JPG.

We initially thought this church was being renovated but in fact it is being rebuilt having been totally destroyed by the communists in the 30s.

DSC03340.JPG.DSC03341.JPG.

More of the view from the ship.It was a fine day-13C and got to 23C-50.4F and 68.4F for our American friends.We had a lot of time for pictures.

DSC03342.JPG.DSC03346.JPG.

We were spied on from both ends of the ship-

DSC03349.JPG.DSC03350.JPG.

The Russian Immigration officials were on board but at 10am when our tour was due to depart and we just got the call our passports.A crowd at reception to collect them and after disembarking another face to face check in the little blue hut.That took a while-

DSC03351.JPG.DSC03352.JPG.

Finally got away on our tour at 1030.Highlights of Archangel.The roads were not of great standard but lots of recognisable names-

DSC03353.JPG.DSC03356.JPG.

DSC03355.JPG.

A fair and Comrade Lenin prominent-

DSC03358.JPG.DSC03360.JPG.

Some old buildings though-

DSC03362.JPG.

Great photos drron which have brought back wonderful memories of our Cloud trip 2 years ago.Still the same guy in charge of the Sami gift shop!Hope Russian rules allow you to enjoy the pleasant towns and countryside .Thanks to you and duct tape for taking us all along with you.

Our first stop was the English cemetery.To the left was the local cemetery mostly overrun.

DSC03367.JPG.DSC03368.JPG.

DSC03369.JPG.

To the left a little chapel and a well kept cemetery-

DSC03375.JPG.DSC03376.JPG.

DSC03377.JPG.

A young Russian was trying to tell us something but he had very little English and none of us any Russian.However we found out later this was a Russian military cemetery for the casualties from Afghanistan and Chechnya.

Great photos drron which have brought back wonderful memories of our Cloud trip 2 years ago.Still the same guy in charge of the Sami gift shop!Hope Russian rules allow you to enjoy the pleasant towns and countryside .Thanks to you and duct tape for taking us all along with you.

Yes, Brimary, couldn't agree more. We didn't have any views at N Cape though, did we. Lovely to see the island, Drron.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks to all those who have commented.I must say though this is something I enjoy and I can look back on in coming years.Really fantastic if others can get something out of it.

And a special thanks to the Stumblefoot family.We really enjoyed having dinner with you tonight.Let's hope it is not the last.

Now to the English part of the cemetery.Very poignant for me as during this trip I had visited the grave of my great uncle in France.Some of the men buried here are from the same units of those buried with my great uncle.Just so sad that some must have survived the horrors of the Somme to die in this forsaken place.The cemetery though is well kept.

DSC03371.JPG.DSC03374.JPG.

DSC03372.JPG.

I also had the fortune in the late 70s to meet a woman who was sent here with these forces to help the White Russians as she spoke 5 languages including Russian and Chinese.She was able to escape capture and managed to get to China.

Now to our next stop the Maritime history museum.On the way passed this majestic yet dilapidated building-

DSC03385.JPG.

At the museum-

DSC03389.JPG.DSC03390.JPG.

Another lovely sea day! Fog, fog horns, rain, but we are having a heat wave 10.2/50.4. Have met lovely people on this cruise as well as enjoying old friends. Ready, Steady, Cook shortly. The Marigold Hotel sequel is on today. A good day for a movie. Had a wonderful evening yesterday. A surprise birthday party! Gotta love these people.

Shipbuilding began here in the 1690s encouraged by Peter the Great.But not all exhibits had a maritime theme.The acoustics were awful and I had great difficulty understanding our guide.very little English descriptions of the displays.French was more common.

All ships built had a scale model built as well.The bells pictured are said to be from the 1600s-

DSC03393.JPG.DSC03394.JPG.

DSC03395.JPG.DSC03399.JPG.DSC03400.JPG.

DSC03401.JPG.

The building itself was attractive.Many of the rooms though were behind glass.Really didn't think an hour here was necessary.Whilst out the back it was the fun of the fair-

DSC03402.JPG.DSC03403.JPG.

Next stop was a statue of Peter the Great.Dont you just hate it when someone photobombs your picture?

DSC03405.JPG.DSC03408.JPG.

DSC03409.JPG.DSC03416.JPG.