Wine clarification, I'm sorry!

CStorm

Wow, your taste is well out of my league!:o I buy Copper Moon at less than $10, Apothic or Oyster Bay at $15, and my local winery does a beautiful white cranberry for $19. I admit to being a wine heathen - I just know what I like.:D

I LOVE Oyster Bay Sauv. Blanc! Had some Molly Dooker yet? Yum...

Do not understand this logic :confused: If you paid $40 for the wine, you obviously like it. The $18 fee then seems very little to enjoy your own wine when HAL would probably charge you a $40 to $50 markup on the same bottle.

What I don't understand is people willing to pay $18 corkage on a $10 bottle of plonk :confused:

That's the problem. I don't want to haul wine AND pay corkage. A $40 bottle of red isn't that special.

There must be something on those wine lists that's worth trying... I drink by the glass

That's the problem. I don't want to haul wine AND pay corkage. A $40 bottle of red isn't that special.

There must be something on those wine lists that's worth trying... I drink by the glass

I find the glass by the wine choices somewhat restrictive. Why not order a bottle - it can be saved night after night for you. You can do that in the MDR, a favourite bar, whatever.

And there are some decent wines by the bottle on board that don't cost an arm and a leg. DH liked a merlot in the Admiral package and I liked a New Zealand white in the Navigator package. Now, that being said, we do bring wine on board and pay corkage especially if we are in Europe or FLL (Total Wine has far more selection and better prices than we would ever see here). After all, you can only drink the same wine so often ;):D

Another question on corkage fee. If you pay the corkage on a case of wine and don't end up drinking the case. Say you have six bottles left. Will they refund the corkage fee?

I don't understand this question... how is it possible to have wine left over at the end of a cruise? :confused:

I find the glass by the wine choices somewhat restrictive. Why not order a bottle - it can be saved night after night for you. You can do that in the MDR, a favourite bar, whatever.

And there are some decent wines by the bottle on board that don't cost an arm and a leg. DH liked a merlot in the Admiral package and I liked a New Zealand white in the Navigator package. Now, that being said, we do bring wine on board and pay corkage especially if we are in Europe or FLL (Total Wine has far more selection and better prices than we would ever see here). After all, you can only drink the same wine so often ;):D

You can't go wrong with New Zealand! I'll explore the wine shops in Venice, though, with all these urgings!

I don't understand this question... how is it possible to have wine left over at the end of a cruise? :confused:

Have a friend arrive at your pre-cruise hotel with a gift of wine. A big gift of wine :eek: :D and then get sick while on the cruise. Too sick to drink wine? Yup, sick :(

Just so I have it correct...

Each person can carry on one bottle of wine to be consumed in your stateroom at no charge.

If we take that bottle of wine to the dining room, they charge us $18.

I am confused. I thought your one "allowed bottle" could be taken to the dining room with no corkage charge.

What about the extra bottles where you pay the corkage fee at boarding, can those bottles be taken to the dining room?

You can't go wrong with New Zealand! I'll explore the wine shops in Venice, though, with all these urgings!

Was lucky enough to spend 4 weeks there in the Spring of 2014. One of our favorite restaurants/wine bars/wine shops was the Osteria Enoteca San Marco on Calle Frezzeria. Their food is great, service friendly, and they know their wines very well. They introduced us to an Inama Bradisismo (I think 2009), not at all pricey, that we loved.

I am confused. I thought your one "allowed bottle" could be taken to the dining room with no corkage charge.

What about the extra bottles where you pay the corkage fee at boarding, can those bottles be taken to the dining room?

The "allowed bottle" must be consumed in your cabin. If taken to a dining room or other public area to consume, you will be charged a corkage fee.

The other bottles - those that you paid the corkage fee upfront, can be taken to the dining room (or anywhere else) for no additional charge.

So, obviously you should plan ahead on which bottles are going to be consumed where.

Was lucky enough to spend 4 weeks there in the Spring of 2014. One of our favorite restaurants/wine bars/wine shops was the Osteria Enoteca San Marco on Calle Frezzeria. Their food is great, service friendly, and they know their wines very well. They introduced us to an Inama Bradisismo (I think 2009), not at all pricey, that we loved.

Wonderful! I'll try it! Any other suggestions are welcome. Do they have bottle shops like the U.S. Or is it more controlled like Canada?

The "allowed bottle" must be consumed in your cabin. If taken to a dining room or other public area to consume, you will be charged a corkage fee.

The other bottles - those that you paid the corkage fee upfront, can be taken to the dining room (or anywhere else) for no additional charge.

So, obviously you should plan ahead on which bottles are going to be consumed where.

Thank you.

On our February cruise on the Regal Princess I did not think about this when they processed my bottles for corkage; a bottle that I really wanted to take to dinner was not marked so ended up the being a drink-in-the-cabin bottle. :(

It is my understanding that most of the cheap wines, or that sold in the lowest-price package, are wines that can be purchased for $5-10 retail in some place like California and these cost $35-40 a bottle, + 18% SC. So if you bring onboard and pay corkage, you can enjoy $20 bottles of wine for less (which I did on my last cruise, bought a bottle on for every night).

Not a 3*+ Mariner so the package discount doesn't apply to me, and that discount may change my behaviour.

Also sailed on the Prinsendam a couple of years ago. Stocked up on various premium Italian wines and did buy a bottle of Banfi Brunello de Montalcino With corkage, that wine cost me ~ USD 50. HAL was charging $110 for the same vintage + 18%.....

Well that is most informative. Did you buy those wines in Italy before embarkation? Do they sell their wines in markets or controlled stores?

Bought them in the town where the wines come from (Montalcino) which had private vendors and wineries everywhere. You find that in Europe, wines and liquor are pretty much available anywhere. More so in latin countries. Even had young children (well under teen age) pour us wine at a market in Germany.

Yes, carted them onboard the ship too.

Sorry - I am new to this. If I exceed my 2 bottle limit and pay the corkage fee, do they somehow mark the extra bottles so I don't have to pay the fee again if/when I take it into the dining room?

Sorry - I am new to this. If I exceed my 2 bottle limit and pay the corkage fee, do they somehow mark the extra bottles so I don't have to pay the fee again if/when I take it into the dining room?

They'll put a sticker on the bottles which have had corkage paid. That tells the wine steward that you've already paid your $18.

Thank you!

You're welcome. You'll also get a receipt, but the sticker is what tells your wine steward that you've paid. If you are planning to consume your "free" bottles in your room, just tell the person checking in the wine which ones you don't want stickered.

Recently returned from Venice cruise (on NA); on HAL excursions involving visit to winery you were allowed to bring one bottle (per person) back on ship with no corkage (penalty) fee. Many did this in Santorini on Panoramic Santorini excursion (including us - we purchased a very nice bottle of premium white wine for less than 20 euros).

Despite everything I read before hand, bottles weren't being stickered on the Zaandam on the repo to the antipodes last autumn. The wine steward must have had a lot of book keeping to do. I bought at least 24 bottles onboard and bought a bottle to the MDR pretty much every night except one (ate off ship).