No Belize for the Freedom today :-(

Mother nature had a tantrum and it went from okay at 7:30am to pretty nasty by 8 or so. After everyone being corralled for 45 mins or so waiting to leave, they announced it was not safe for tender operations and cancelled the port stop. I guess several tenders had already left before the weather got bad. I went out on deck the and watched one of the tenders being bounced around trying to get back to ship.

It sucks, but that's the way it goes and at least we have the option of getting out of the yucky weather. I couldn't believe how rude and stupid people could be about it. People were at guest services gripping about getting their refunds for sore excursions before the announcement was even done. Are people truly worried they won't get their money back? Does it really matter if it's 9am today or 9pm tonight when the credit goes on the account? ?

I understand people being disappointed, but I really feel more sorry for all the crew who had their day totally wiped out and have to spend the day working instead of going ashore for a day off. plus all the shore operators who depend on the ship days have it worse than we do!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry you didn't get to go to Belize, but I like your attitude. You're exactly right! The weather must have been really bad. I was just there last Thursday and it was pouring down rain, very limited visibility, and I was shocked they were taking tenders out. It quit raining before our 11:30 excursion, but the seas were still very rough. We had some pukers on our tender!

I'm sorry you missed your port as well. We cruised to Hawaii in 2013 and missed a tender port. We know the rules about cruising and missing ports. I've watched enough youtube videos on what passengers do when they've missed a port or two. They can be downright nasty - even scary to be on a ship with, so much venom coming out of their mouths Google "mutiny on a cruise ship." The captain has your safety in his best interest.

You are right, some people are so rude. Sevveral years ago we were returning to New Orleans when we foundout that the port of N.O. was closed because of a storm. The plan was to take us to Galveston and bus us back to N.O.. By the time we got to Galveston they had reopened N.O. We were given the option of. Getting off in Galveston or staying and cruise back to N.O. We stayed on the ship, got two extra days of the same food, same entertainment and same great service. Happened to walk by guest services where there were 50 to 60 people in line screaming and cussing. Thinking something was seriously wrong I asked what was going on. They were so upset because we were being charged two days of tips for the hard working crew. I remember telling my wife I hope I never get that cheap that I can afford to cruise but get upset at being charged an extra 25.00 for tips.

You are right, some people are so rude. Sevveral years ago we were returning to New Orleans when we foundout that the port of N.O. was closed because of a storm. The plan was to take us to Galveston and bus us back to N.O.. By the time we got to Galveston they had reopened N.O. We were given the option of. Getting off in Galveston or staying and cruise back to N.O. We stayed on the ship, got two extra days of the same food, same entertainment and same great service. Happened to walk by guest services where there were 50 to 60 people in line screaming and cussing. Thinking something was seriously wrong I asked what was going on. They were so upset because we were being charged two days of tips for the hard working crew. I remember telling my wife I hope I never get that cheap that I can afford to cruise but get upset at being charged an extra 25.00 for tips.

That's awful! Wow, I'm shaking my head at that one. My first cruise I ever took, a kid fell off the slide ladder and broke his back. It was announced that we had a medical emergency and were heading to Key West instead of Jamaica so the boy could have US medical treatment. OMG people were going crazy, ranting and raving. My husband and I were just worried about the poor kid. Turns out, coast guard met us at sea, airlifted the kid, and we turned around and ended up back on the original itinerary.

Are you kidding? There are people on this board that budget to the absolute penny. You can not say cheers is $50 pp pd plus tip, they have to know to the penny what it cost. I picture them walking in their front door with out one penny left I their pockets. I don't get that either.

So for those people an unexpected amount probably would throw them for a loop.

Complaining about two days' of extra tips for two free days of cruising is one of the saddest things I have ever read on these boards.

But you see, to them they think it should be FREE! And anyone who lives that tightly on a budget shouldn't be cruising. It makes me wonder how they could afford to pay for their cruise in the first place.

Some people are just pathetic. Imagine if they were asked to work two days for free at their jobs.

Y

Happened to walk by guest services where there were 50 to 60 people in line screaming and cussing. Thinking something was seriously wrong I asked what was going on. They were so upset because we were being charged two days of tips for the hard working crew. I remember telling my wife I hope I never get that cheap that I can afford to cruise but get upset at being charged an extra 25.00 for tips.

That is so shameful.

Life is full of unexpected twists and turns and things not always going as planned. I am thankful I don't have to share my life with people that can't adapt.

I would consider 2 extra cruise days as things going MY way!

I'm assuming all of the nasty complaints didn't include NOT having to pay for the extra 2 days of fun, food, lodging and entertainment?

That is so shameful.

Life is full of unexpected twists and turns and things not always going as planned. I am thankful I don't have to share my life with people that can't adapt.

I would consider 2 extra cruise days as things going MY way!

I'm assuming all of the nasty complaints didn't include NOT having to pay for the extra 2 days of fun, food, lodging and entertainment?

If they don't want to pay the extra tips, then get on the bus! I can understand people being extremely stressed and frustrated by a change that actually affected their return day or location, but nobody on that ship can do a stinking thing about it so blasting them does no good.

If the extra days were the fault of carnival, then I could see expecting the company to eat the cost and cover the tips. But weather happens and they did have an option that would get them home sooner without the added costs.

Today, they did leave the dining room open later than usual for breakfast and put together some activities. Perfectly reasonable adjustments for them to make. The way I see it is that Carnival had nothing to gain trying to force the issue if there was no expectation that the weather would improve dramatically within a couple hours. People were already canceling their shore excursions before the announcement to cancel the stop. It's better have a sea day than a lousy port day trying to force things to continue. As a bonus, we get a couple more hours in cozumel tomorrow since we can get there earlier.

There was a RCCL ship in port as well. I don't know, but I assume they had to cut out too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had no idea Belize was a tender port (good toknow). Sorry about missing the port and weather. Hope the rest of your cruise is smooth sailing and fun.

It's a much longer tender ride than Grand Cayman.....about 15 minutes or so. :cool:

I've noticed that many tour operators in Belize do not require a deposit.

It must be easier for them to deal with no shows on the good days, then deal with all the refunds when the tenders can't happen. (Because if they didn't refund in that instance, they'd probably be out of business...)

I was surprised at the extra $25 in tip story until I re-read it. (It's early). At first I thought it was a 'forced' extra 2 days; meaning a lot of people probably have missed wages, and these days were costing a lot. But then I realized there was a choice to stay on the ship or to bus back. WOW... I wonder how much beyond the $25 those people had no problem spending in drinks and gambling, but goodness- the crew should work for free!