Food not to miss in Australia

GUT2407

Ok, busted. Red face here. :mad: Hey Gut, at least you got some nice comments about Aussie food (aside from those Kiwis).

No worries. After all you did suggest two national dishes.

And what would K1W1's know anyway.

BTW I love aussie food

My kiwi husband would say skip Australia altogether and go to New Zealand. :)

As an American I would say definitely have a pavlova on your trip if you can. I have yet to have one here at home that is anything close to one in NZ (I'm sure this applies to Australia).

Have a great cruise! Wish I was going too - and the Diamond is my favorite ship.

Your Kiwi husband doesn't have a family pavlova recipe he can pass on to you? :eek:

Many restaurants and cruise ships don't know how the make proper pavlova, they use a tiny meringue nest, a dab of cream and a couple of token bits of fruit. :mad:

Your Kiwi husband doesn't have a family pavlova recipe he can pass on to you? :eek:

Many restaurants and cruise ships don't know how the make proper pavlova, they use a tiny meringue nest, a dab of cream and a couple of token bits of fruit. :mad:

And then they forget my ice cream :D:D:D [see 3 scoops]

Sacrilege!

True pavlova has delicate crisp meringue, a marshmallow interior (and sometimes a sticky sweet ooze on the edge.)

Anything else is just meringue.

Sacrilege!

True pavlova has delicate crisp meringue, a marshmallow interior (and sometimes a sticky sweet ooze on the edge.)

You forgot the cream and fruit.

Let alone my scoop of ice cream.

I know that all the menus are the same, but when we were on the Diamond in Australia/New Zealand in January, the produce on board was the freshest and best we have had on any ship. I don't know if they were getting it locally but it was terrific.

Beer. Anything from Little Creatures brewery. Victoria Bitter and Carlton Draught were much to my liking as well. If you want a light beer, try their Cascade Premium.

Vegemite! It's got a lot in common with beer - yeast. A little bit on a toasted English Muffin with some butter for breakfast. Some say it keeps the mozzies (mosquitos) off (eat it, don't apply it).

I was wondering how long it would take for Vegemite to show up.:)

The curries in the Horizon Court were surprisingly good on the Diamond when we did Aus/NZ. Meat pies at the Trident grill (the one on deck) were awful....

I heard they were Mrs Macs which isn't a bad pie [not great either].

What didn't you like.

You won't get these things on the ship, but try to sample any of them on shore.

Lamington cake

meat pies

Barrimundi (maybe on ship if you're lucky)

Emu

Kangaroo (AKA "Skippy")

Love a lamo as long as it's fresh and has cream in the middle

I'm an Expert on Pies

Barra is great

Emu is a bit tough

Roo is too gamey for me.

Lamington cake

meat pies

Emu

Kangaroo (AKA "Skippy")

On the Australian-based ships meat pies are available all the time in the Grill. One ship (can't remember which one) made their own and they weren't as good as the "Mrs Mac's" brand Aussie pies on the other ships. Barramundi is served in the MDR several times during a cruise. On our recent Sun Princess cruise they had lamingtons, but they weren't great. The sponge wasn't light enough. No emu or kangaroo:D.

On the Australian-based ships meat pies are available all the time in the Grill. One ship (can't remember which one) made their own and they weren't as good as the "Mrs Mac's" brand Aussie pies on the other ships. Barramundi is served in the MDR several times during a cruise. On our recent Sun Princess cruise they had lamingtons, but they weren't great. The sponge wasn't light enough. No emu or kangaroo:D.

Lamingtons need a quality sponge.

Eating the coat of arms is just wrong.

Lamington cake

meat pies

Emu

Kangaroo (AKA "Skippy")

Oops. Forgot one.

Seafood lovers will like Morton Bay Bugs. Yum Yum!

Was on the Diamond for 33 nights in April taking her to Asia from Sydney and they definitely have vegemite onboard in the little packets in the Horizon Court. If they aren't with the sauces just ask and they will bring them.

We will be back on her in September for 23 nights bringing her back to Oz. I hope they have a bit more Aussie food onboard on that cruise but I doubt it - lots of Asian food last time but it was catering to the Asian market on that cruise. I hope when it's in Australia it will cater to the Aussies..... time will tell.

When we were on the Ruby last year we asked the Head Waiter if he could get the chef to make us a proper pavlova (you know, with the thin meringue and the soft centre complete with the cream and fruit on top) and he did himself proud.... it was delicious! So they can make it if they want to instead of whacking a bit of cream and a few pieces of fruit in a hard meringue case the size of a 50c piece.

Sacrilege!

Exactly! I had great fun on our UK trip a couple of years ago telling restaurant chefs that meringue is not pavlova. :D

Having said that, the Princess meringues are quite pleasant. i must remember to ask for extra cream when I'm on Dawn. That's CREAM, GUT, not ICE CREAM! :rolleyes: :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

When we were on the Ruby last year we asked the Head Waiter if he could get the chef to make us a proper pavlova (you know' date=' with the thin meringue and the soft centre complete with the cream and fruit on top) and he did himself proud.... it was delicious! So they can make it if they want to instead of whacking a bit of cream and a few pieces of fruit in a hard meringue case the size of a 50c piece.[/quote']

They must have had a Kiwi or Aussie chef on Ruby.

I can understand why cruise ships go the meringue route instead of true pavlova. Meringue keeps well without needing to be chilled, and can be finished off with the cream and fruit to order. A full pavlova needs to be covered with the cream and fruit before cutting, and doesn't keep as well. Although I'm quite happy to have left-over pav the next day I suspect that cruise ships would have to dump any left over each day.

Exactly! I had great fun on our UK trip a couple of years ago telling restaurant chefs that meringue is not pavlova. :D

Having said that, the Princess meringues are quite pleasant. i must remember to ask for extra cream when I'm on Dawn. That's CREAM, GUT, not ICE CREAM! :rolleyes: :D

It's meringue, cream fruit that is Pavlova.

But then it is served with ice cream, simple really.:D

It's meringue, cream fruit that is Pavlova.

But then it is served with ice cream, simple really.:D

But that I can't understand. It would unbalance the whole dessert. The meringue is very sweet, the cream balances the sweetness, and the fruit adds tang. Why would you ruin that perfect combination by adding sweet ice-cream, that's just sugar overload. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

But that I can't understand. It would unbalance the whole dessert. The meringue is very sweet, the cream balances the sweetness, and the fruit adds tang. Why would you ruin that perfect combination by adding sweet ice-cream, that's just sugar overload. :rolleyes: ;) :D

But DW says need sweetening up.