Travel document requirements for 16-yr-old

flahagan

We're taking 3 of our teen grandchildren on the Breeze next month and when I went online today to do check-in, I saw a notation that 16-yr-olds and up must have a government-issued photo ID in addition to the birth certificate.

I agree that everyone who travels should have a passport - hubby and I have had ours for over 20 years and strongly encouraged it to our daughter who is the parent of two of the three kids we're taking. (The third is their cousin).

However, as a recently divorced single parent, she just doesn't have the funds for them to have passports, and we're stretched financially ourselves just taking all of them on this cruise!

So with that info out of the way, I'll go on to say that I immediately called our daughter to see if our 16-yr-old granddaughter had such an ID. NO, she just has her school photo ID, as she doesn't have her driver's permit yet. She used this ID without a problem to fly out of state last month, so we thought it would be the same for the cruise.

In a panic, I called Carnival with the question and was told there'd be no problem, all she needed, in addition to the birth certificate of course, was the school ID. When I read what it said on their website to her, the rep said no, that 16-yr-olds didn't need anything more. So I questioned at what age it WOULD become a requirement (I wanted to be certain, sure don't want to get to the dock and not be able to board!) She said she'd look it up for me, then read back to me that "16, 17 and 18-yr-olds need a school-issued photo ID in addition to a birth certificate, under 16 need only a birth certificate, over 18 require a government-issued photo ID." I wish the website was as specific as this, as it has caused quite a bit of confusion here.

I thought I'd post this info here for anyone else in the same boat, lol. Of course, now I'm a little paranoid that we'll get there and someone at the pier will say she needs more. Have any of you with teens and no passport had any problems?

(Oh, and yes, we have the notarized consent form giving us permission to take them and authority for any medical treatment they may require. So much to think about!)

What state does you GD live in? She can get a State ID, usually from the DMV. Some states will issue them then and there, other states need to be mailed.

I'd go with this option if possible. It's usually not very expensive. I brought my son's passport, drivers permit, and school id. Only the passport had been requested. I also made sure I had a signed, notarized letter from my husband with permission top take or son out of the country. Nobody ever wanted it, but easier to have it and not need it than the other way around.

If the child is 16, they are eligible for an adult passport that is good for 10 years. If you think you may travel with them in the future, may be worth helping the parents with the passport cost to keep things simple and avoid issues in the future.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Here's what I see on Carnival's website in regards to acceptable photo ID:

Photo Identification

A non-expired Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver’s License
  • Driver’s Permit
  • School/Student I.D (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
  • Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)
  • Government-Issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) – for photo identification use only

Here's what I see on Carnival's website in regards to acceptable photo ID:

Photo Identification

A non-expired Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver’s License
  • Driver’s Permit
  • School/Student I.D (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
  • Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)
  • Government-Issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) – for photo identification use only

Ah, makes me feel much better seeing it in writing - think I'll print it out. Thanks!

If the child attends public school, the school id IS government issued.

Yes, public high school in Orange Park, Fl. Never thought about that being considered government-issued. Makes sense, though. Thanks!