Helicopter Tour in Hilo

stankie2

I am going on the Pride of America in November 2015. We are thinking of taking the Helicopter Tour that goes over the volcano. Has anyone taken this tour? What is the best time of day to do this?

Some thoughts....

• I went Blue Hawaiian
    http://www.bluehawaiian.com/bigisland/video/Big_Island_Intro
  • lava sightings are not guaranteed
  • some helicopters fly without doors for photographers. Because of the volcano, don't know if this is an option for the big island
  • some offer a video service... try not to say too many embarrassing things because it's recorded on the audio

We have done both Hilo and Kauai with Blue Hawaiian. On Hilo the lava had just stopped so all we got to see was the guy who had the only house (which is now gone) and a miles of cold black lava, the ride was a lot of ups and downs and a lot of turns and by the time we were finished we felt quite nauseous.

This cruise was b2b so we did get to see the lava flowing into the ocean on the second week from our aft cabin.

Now Kuaui was just spectacular, the ride of the inner part of the Na Pali coast which you cant see by land is breathtaking with hidden water falls and a huge cattle ranch lots of up and down into the mountainous area. This was very good ride and smooth.

We would Kauai again if we had the money to waste.

If you can only do one helicopter, I highly recommend you do it in Kauai instead of the volcano in Hilo. I agree with Ilovesailing. I don't know how anything could be more spectacular from the air than Waimea Canyon, the Na Pali Coast and flying down inside a dormant volcano. It is impossible to see most of this any other way, because there are simply no roads and access. We did Blue Hawaiian, and what you will see is jaw droppingly amazing. Hands down the best tour we ever had, and worth every penny.

The volcano, lava tubes, steam vents and lava fields in Hilo are easy to see by car. You don't really gain much by seeing it from the air, IMO.

If you do this, do the first tour of the morning if possible for best visibility and less chance of a rain out. Kauai tends to cloud up early PM. Not sure if this holds true in Hilo.

Edited by punkincc

If you can only do one helicopter, I highly recommend you do it in Kauai instead of the volcano in Hilo. I agree with Ilovesailing. I don't know how anything could be more spectacular from the air than Waimea Canyon, the Na Pali Coast and flying down inside a dormant volcano. It is impossible to see most of this any other way, because there are simply no roads and access. We did Blue Hawaiian, and what you will see is jaw droppingly amazing. Hands down the best tour we ever had, and worth every penny.

The volcano, lava tubes, steam vents and lava fields in Hilo are easy to see by car. You don't really gain much by seeing it from the air, IMO.

If you do this, do the first tour of the morning if possible for best visibility and less chance of a rain out. Kauai tends to cloud up early PM. Not sure if this holds true in Hilo.

To add your only a stones throw away from the Kuaui airport and you will see upon docking so only a couple bucks by cab.

Aloha! Blue Hawaiian is a great company. Madame Pele can change her mind about lava flow/activity at anytime. In late April a spectacular lava lake appeared in the Caldera of the Kileau Volcano. This is visible from the lanai at the Jagger Museum inside Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park. The view is most spectacular at dawn, dusk and at night. So might not work if you are on the POA. Still quite a site. I would recommend anyone who can see this site at night, do so. The best viewing would be to arrive by 0430 and stay until dawn. Crowds can be high at dusk and up until 11pm. The park Is open 24 hours.

Although visible from the air, there are current restrictions on how close an aircraft can get to the caldera for obvious reasons. Still people are reporting fantastic views.

Lava has not flowed to the ocean since last summer and thankfully the lava flow threatening the town of Pahoa stopped as well. However, things may very well change by November. Monitor the USGS or NPS web sites for current activity.

Rain frequently occurs in the afternoon in and around Hilo. November is a somewhat dryer month. But it rains a lot in Hilo.

I hope to go to Kauai one day... http://www.bluehawaiian.com/kauai/video/Kauai_Intro

To clarify on the Big Island.... what I see by air, land and sea are different.....

• by land... most go to the Kilauea Visitor Center or the main crater. When there, you rarely see any helicopters. You are discouraged from walking on lava as the top crust can/will collapse.
  • by air... they took me to the Puu Oo Crater which is East of visitor centre.
  • by sea.... I think they take you to further East and closer to the lava as it enters the ocean.

Edited by xlxo

I am going on the Pride of America in November 2015. We are thinking of taking the Helicopter Tour that goes over the volcano. Has anyone taken this tour? What is the best time of day to do this?

We Did a different Helicopter Volcano Tour from Antigua over to Montserratte Island On NCL Dawns Repo cruise.

We did it mid day with the sun overhead for good lighting .

Even the shots with the choppers shadow in them were cool . ;)

Edited by biker@sea

Great thoughts

Lava is not currently flowing to the ocean. This stopped last summer. There is currently a very active lava lake visible from the Jagger Museum. But things can and do change at any moment.

From the Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park's website

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

" The eruption of Kīlauea volcano continues at two locations. In the park, the vent within Halema'uma'u Crater is easily viewed from the overlook at the Jaggar Museum. The second location is the Pu'u 'Ō'ō vent located 10 miles (16km) east of the summit, on the remote east rift zone of Kīlauea. This area is not accessible to the public. There is no lava flowing into or towards the ocean"

• 2 weeks later...
I hope to go to Kauai one day... http://www.bluehawaiian.com/kauai/video/Kauai_Intro

Just booked ours for the the 30th. Most recommend this one over the Safari company's flight. My only question was if the Safari flight might fly closer to the waterfalls but I guess it depends on WHO your actual pilot is rather than the company

I don't like helicopters any more but if I could psych myself up to do another it'd be the West Maul and Molokai trip "Blue" offers, you get to see the tallest sea-cliffs in the world in Molokai.

I have taken both the Kauai and Hilo Blue Hawaiian helicopter tours. They are both fantastic. I was lucky on the Hilo trip --the lava was flowing, and watching it flow into the sea and set up a cloud of steam was something I could never see except from the air. The other part of that Hilo trip I loved were the incredible green cliffs over the fjords near the end of the flight. I felt as if I was on another (very green) planet.