Dancing with the Stars?

Welland

A number of years ago this "entertainment" was the same as the tv show. In later years on board it was changed to Dancing with the Stars. Is this still held and if so what is it now called?

Any feedback appreciated.

It's called Dancing with the Stripes. I've been on several Celebrity cruises where the passengers who wanted to participate in this volunteered early in the cruise then practiced several times throughout the voyage and then danced with the officers as a show in the Grand Foyer. However, we were recently onboard the Infinity, where it was very different - still called Dancing with the Stripes, but it was a one-off event put on in the Constellation Lounge later at night, around 10pm. There was no preparation, no practicing - guests volunteered to participate then and there, and it was more of a comedy thing as the officers were primarily goofing around, not dancing seriously. I'm guessing that every ship, every entertainment staff, has the autonomy or leeway to do it however they want.

It's called Dancing with the Stripes. I've been on several Celebrity cruises where the passengers who wanted to participate in this volunteered early in the cruise then practiced several times throughout the voyage and then danced with the officers as a show in the Grand Foyer. However, we were recently onboard the Infinity, where it was very different - still called Dancing with the Stripes, but it was a one-off event put on in the Constellation Lounge later at night, around 10pm. There was no preparation, no practicing - guests volunteered to participate then and there, and it was more of a comedy thing as the officers were primarily goofing around, not dancing seriously. I'm guessing that every ship, every entertainment staff, has the autonomy or leeway to do it however they want.

Yup, it was like that on Summit during the repositioning in April. However, it was apparent that the couples had practiced. The women knew to either wear pants, or wear shorts under their dresses. And it was one of those late-night shows, more comical than serious. It was a waste of time, for me....

We love Dancing with the Stripes. It is hilarious. HAL has the rights to Dancing with the Stars. They hold auditions, judge and then have a final dance off the last night. The winner wins a free cruise for the season finals. Some of the professional dancers from DWTS come on board during the season. Both X and HAL events are lots of fun to watch.

I have always enjoyed this show:)actually I got to be a judge a couple of different times and I also thought it was a lot of fun:D. I guess it

depends on who is participating (but I have seen plenty of pax who

didn't practice ahead of time)....and I don't think it is intended to be

serious (just my opinion)....I think it is way more for "the fun of it":)

I didn't think it was a waste at all......everyone, dancers and audience

seemed to have a great time:)

They had Dancing with the Stripes on our Summit cruise last week. It was a riot to watch. People who wanted to participate put their names in a hat and then names were drawn out. There wasn't any practice prior to the contest. I'm so glad we didn't miss it.

We love Dancing with the Stripes. It is hilarious. HAL has the rights to Dancing with the Stars. They hold auditions, judge and then have a final dance off the last night. The winner wins a free cruise for the season finals. Some of the professional dancers from DWTS come on board during the season. Both X and HAL events are lots of fun to watch.

Hi Jean:) sounds like HAL takes it much more seriously than on Celebrity.

This is just one event and there are no finals at the end of the cruise.

It is (in my opinion) just for fun....without a dance off later in the week

and no free cruise for anyone.

The first time we saw Dancing with the Stripes, people signed up and it was first come, first served. While there was no rehearsal time, talent was a factor. One of our daughters is a skilled dancer so, on our family Bermuda cruise earlier this month, we really wanted her to participate. We got there early so she could sign up and she was one of the first six registered. They continued to take entries and at the start of the event, each participating crew member drew from the pot of entries. At first, we were disappointed when her name wasn't drawn. Then we watched the contest which became an exhibitionist event and somewhat vulgar. Our daughter sat there and said "you wanted me to do this????" We apologized and told her that this was not what we had seen before and we never would have wanted her to be part of what we'd just experienced. At least once it was all over, she and her dad got to have a lovely time on the dance floor.

The first time we saw Dancing with the Stripes, people signed up and it was first come, first served. While there was no rehearsal time, talent was a factor. One of our daughters is a skilled dancer so, on our family Bermuda cruise earlier this month, we really wanted her to participate. We got there early so she could sign up and she was one of the first six registered. They continued to take entries and at the start of the event, each participating crew member drew from the pot of entries. At first, we were disappointed when her name wasn't drawn. Then we watched the contest which became an exhibitionist event and somewhat vulgar. Our daughter sat there and said "you wanted me to do this????" We apologized and told her that this was not what we had seen before and we never would have wanted her to be part of what we'd just experienced. At least once it was all over, she and her dad got to have a lovely time on the dance floor.

Sorry yours turned out to be that way:eek::(.....I have seen quite a few

that were dancing....not like the tv show but they were dancing.

Years back (4+) there was 'Everybody Dance' as an event. During dance lessons on board, the production team would scout out potential partners and ask if you would be interested in performing. There would be private practices (sometimes hard to squeeze in on port intensive cruises like Canada/New England itinerary) and then a competition against other guests with their professional dance partners. This was a real treat for me. When do I ever get to do running leaps and with the guarantee someone is going to catch me?

Dancing with the Stripes has become more boffo than anything else - rubber rafts, etc. Actually kind of frightening in that tight space with bodies flailing by the staircases on Solstice class ships.

Good news is that I don't pack my tutu and tiara anymore so my luggage is lighter.:D

Our cruising companion always volunteers and has a blast! He has participated twice:) It is way too funny so guess you should be prepared. They look forward to it every cruise even if they don't get picked to participate!! We have been there and everyone is howling with laughter and we have never seen anyone leave upset.

Everybody Dance was on our last three Eclipse cruises, 2013, 2014 and 2015. It is just as described. Four of the dance pros pick partners after scouting them at dance lessons and different events. They schedule private practices to learn a routine, then compete in the foyer near the end of the cruise.

Although the foyer is used for the event, it is a lousy location to dance. The open decks above, however, assure a good crowd of spectators.

Hi Jean:) sounds like HAL takes it much more seriously than on Celebrity.

This is just one event and there are no finals at the end of the cruise.

It is (in my opinion) just for fun....without a dance off later in the week

and no free cruise for anyone.

As it turned out on my HAL cruise there were 3 good dancers who practiced and danced with the pros and one older gentleman who was partnered with a very young attractive pro (he mostly stood there as she danced and wiggled around him). The judges were very funny and we had tears we were laughing so hard. I actually like both the X version and the HAL version. Both were lots of fun.

That's what it was like on our sailing. I was a bit disappointed - I thought it would be actual lead/follow partner dancing of some kind. The "dancing" consisted of people carrying other people around piggyback, jumping up and down...running around, and seeing who could do the goofiest or most outrageous thing to get noticed ...nothing related to dancing I could see at all. I was going to volunteer...then after I saw the contest, I was so glad I didn't! I'm not overly conservative or anything, but I'd have felt kind of silly competing in that. But the spectators and participants really seemed to enjoy it all, so was glad to see everyone have a good time. Just not my thing, I guess. :)

• 1 year later...

We've seen different versions on the last few cruises. In 2015 we saw them use the dental atrium and it was senior officers and a couple of junior ones and it was hilarious as it was so competitive. The next one was done on the stage in the main theatre and they paired up guests and not one single crew member so was disappointed and last cruise was on the stage and it was mostly the singers and dancers with guests, I much prefer seeing the offices do this.

We watched dancing with the stripes on our silhouette cruise last year and had a blast. It was in the theater so there was plenty of room to dance. It was definitely geared to be comical and we enjoyed the judges commentary even as much as the dancing. NCL did this too (don't know what it was called) but it was in the atrium area and wasn't nearly as fun.